• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gigatime

gigatime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Hi! so I quit marching band and have tons of time on my hands and decided to do something useful or fun/cool. I was thinking of learning how to/make mod(s). Hehe... but iono nothing about anything. So I was wondering if I could get some help or advice. Like what should I be learning and where I could learn it. I feel kind of stupid but you have to start somewhere. So if it helps you out I could give you more information but right now I dont know what information to give. I mean the only slight thing I know about coding/programming is my 3 years at roblox where you use lua which is kind of embarrasing. Please tell me if you need info (which I know you probably will considering I just said help me i'm bored and want to learn) I am totally open to answering any questions and learning anything. I have tons tons tons of time.

#2 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

What exactly do you want to mod ? On which plateform ?

Most of the time, modding games requires a relatively good computing/coding level, especially if you're talking about modding games that were not made to be customized by users. The best you could probably do would be to start from the bottom. Don't rush. Perhaps you should take a look to some C and C++ tutorials, to begin with. 

userbar.gif

#3 gigatime

gigatime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

What exactly do you want to mod ? On which plateform ?

Maybe start with sim city or minecraft on pc. I would be working mostly with PC games. Maybe start with just cosmetic stuff which Im pretty sure is way easier but I would want to do more.

#4 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Maybe start with sim city or minecraft on pc. I would be working mostly with PC games. Maybe start with just cosmetic stuff which Im pretty sure is way easier but I would want to do more.

Well, there is huge community around minecraft modding. It's actually pretty easy to start from nothing and to end up with your first own plugin a month later. You would need to learn Java for that though, and I'm afraid this will probably be the only game you'll need Java for. Here you have a choice to make. If you plan on staying on the Minecraft scene, well then I'd tell you to go for it. But if your plans are morelikely to move once you're bored, it'll then rely on your patience. Will you have enough perseverance, endurance, and time to get to learn a whole new language once you'll be done with minecraft? Would you be ready to move on scenes that require more experience around specific domains and notions you never dealt with before? Not even considering the fact that you'll have to move from a modders friendly game, with a huge community around it, to, in the 'worst' case, narrow groups of passionates sticking around a game that wasn't thought to be modded ? 

If you want to introduce yourself to coding and you think that you would get bored if no modding was involved, then go for Minecraft.

I just hope you'll have the force to move if ever you get bored, or that you wont need to dive into a completly different domain. 

If you're patient enough, start from the very bottom, and learn C / C++.

This means you won't have anything to do with modding, until you get an average C++ level. Then, learning how to mod specific games and moving from a scene to another won't be a big deal to you anymore. Learning Java to get into the Minecraft modding scene would still be an option, and the experience you would have into coding would make things even easier. 

It all relies on how much time, patience, perseverance you have, and more simply on how deep you want to dive into coding. 

userbar.gif

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Well, there is huge community around minecraft modding. It's actually pretty easy to start from nothing and to end up with your first own plugin a month later. You would need to learn Java for that though, and I'm afraid this will probably be the only game you'll need Java for. Here you have a choice to make. If you plan on staying on the Minecraft scene, well then I'd tell you to go for it. But if your plans are morelikely to move once you're bored, it'll then rely on your patience. Will you have enough perseverance, endurance, and time to get to learn a whole new language once you'll be done with minecraft? Would you be ready to move on scenes that require more experience around specific domains and notions you never dealt with before? Not even considering the fact that you'll have to move from a modders friendly game, with a huge community around it, to, in the 'worst' case, narrow groups of passionates sticking around a game that wasn't thought to be modded ? 

If you want to introduce yourself to coding and you think that you would get bored if no modding was involved, then go for Minecraft.

I just hope you'll have the force to move if ever you get bored, or that you wont need to dive into a completly different domain. 

If you're patient enough, start from the very bottom, and learn C / C++.

This means you won't have anything to do with modding, until you get an average C++ level. Then, learning how to mod specific games and moving from a scene to another won't be a big deal to you anymore. Learning Java to get into the Minecraft modding scene would still be an option, and the experience you would have into coding would make things even easier. 

It all relies on how much time, patience, perseverance you have, and more simply on how deep you want to dive into coding. 

I think Java is a much better first language with the layers of abstraction of C and C++. Learning a second language after the first is a lot easier, anyway.

#6 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

There are simple tools out there that allow you to crack open Half Life 2, the current gen Grand Theft Auto games and WoW that allow you 2 customize your own maps and shit. Pretty cool stuff and easy 2 use. 

Youtube is the best teacher :)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#7 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:03 AM

I think Java is a much better first language with the layers of abstraction of C and C++. Learning a second language after the first is a lot easier, anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out why learning C++ seems to be so much of a big deal to people.  

Java is useless when it comes to modding. Simple as that. 

On the other hand, if he has enough time to move on to C++ later, going for Java first would be fine.

Up to him.

Youtube is the best teacher :)

Agreed for when it comes to simple tutorials that doesn't involve coding.

Don't learn how to code from youtube, though. Please, just don't.

userbar.gif

#8 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why learning C++ seems to be so much of a big deal to people.  

Java is useless when it comes to modding. Simple as that. 

On the other hand, if he has enough time to move on to C++ later, going for Java first would be fine.

Up to him.

Useless is a pretty broad term, and if they're interested in modding Minecraft, Java is the only good choice.

And really, if you know ASM (or someone in the modding community is willing to share their code), you can use an injection library (like the ever popular black magic) and write it in something like C# depending on what exactly you're trying to accomplish..

I wrote a WoW bot a long, long time ago thanks to some DirectX ASM hooking code that someone in the community had shared. The majority of the non-autoit bots (which were garbage) were written in .NET. I don't recall seeing any full projects in C or C++.

#9 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Useless is a pretty broad term, and if they're interested in modding Minecraft, Java is the only good choice.

And really, if you know ASM (or someone in the modding community is willing to share their code), you can use an injection library (like the ever popular black magic) and write it in something like C# depending on what exactly you're trying to accomplish..

I wrote a WoW bot a long, long time ago thanks to some DirectX ASM hooking code that someone in the community had shared. The majority of the non-autoit bots (which were garbage) were written in .NET. I don't recall seeing any full projects in C or C++.

Going to ASM from nothing, there we have a big deal doe :P

Nice to see some people who know their shit. 

userbar.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mods, modding, games, coding, programming, butts, loafcat, sweg