26 replies to this topic

#1 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Just got back from watching it. Wow. That....wow. Was amazing. I highly recommend everyone go see it. Great humor, great music, awesome action. Everything. Is anyone else planning on seeing it?

batman_003_01.jpg

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

I intend to see it at some point.

I am glad to hear that it is good, and from more than one person so far.

I had my hopes, but also feared that it would fall short of it's own hype.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

The TV ads put me off. It looked too much like a "Disney Meets Superhero Rejects" thing.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#4 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

I intend to see it at some point.

I am glad to hear that it is good, and from more than one person so far.

I had my hopes, but also feared that it would fall short of it's own hype.

Personally there is really only one thing that falls kind of short ( I won't say ) but beyond that it was on point. 

batman_003_01.jpg

#5 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

It was good, but honestly it wasn't the best movie that Marvel could have mad. I still highly enjoyed it though, definitely would watch again.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#6 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

I think Winter Soldier was the best one to date. But something about GotG was amazing. Dance scenes and all. 

batman_003_01.jpg

#7 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Groot was definitely the funniest part of the movie. Over all GotG was good, but compared to other Marvel movies it wasn't the best. I do agree though that the Winter Soldier was the best one they've made so far. Captain America my favorite super hero.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#8 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

I've loved the GoTG for years now, so I can't wait to see it.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#9 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Groot was definitely the funniest part of the movie. Over all GotG was good, but compared to other Marvel movies it wasn't the best. I do agree though that the Winter Soldier was the best one they've made so far. Captain America my favorite super hero.

Saying that anything besides Drax was the funniest is heresy.

"Nothing goes over my head!  My reflexes are too fast.  I would catch it."

#10 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Saying that anything besides Drax was the funniest is heresy.

"Nothing goes over my head!  My reflexes are too fast.  I would catch it."

"That was a metaphor." 

batman_003_01.jpg

#11 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

I might go see it. Not necessarily my type of movie, but it actually looks really good. 

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#12 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

It was fucking awesome and that post credits cameo was amazing.

I can't wait until James Spader-voiced Ultron comes onto the scene.  Here's hoping it's better than the first The Avengers movie (it had problems, although the fight scenes in the last third of the movie were awesome for the most part.)

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#13 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

It was fucking awesome and that post credits cameo was amazing.

I can't wait until James Spader-voiced Ultron comes onto the scene.  Here's hoping it's better than the first The Avengers movie (it had problems, although the fight scenes in the last third of the movie were awesome for the most part.)

7 people in my theater knew who that was. Seven. I was so disappointed in this world lol. 

batman_003_01.jpg

#14 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

I saw it and holy shit I love what the after credit scene sets up, the fucking cocoon!

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#15 Paranormalist

Paranormalist

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSouthern America

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'm about to go see it, will follow up with a short review ^.^

Oh good! My favorite show...

giphy.gif

#16 gigatime

gigatime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

The TV ads put me off. It looked too much like a "Disney Meets Superhero Rejects" thing.

You should still give it a chance, because why not watch it right? It wont hurt.

#17 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

You should still give it a chance, because why not watch it right? It wont hurt.

I haven't been to the cinema in years, and I don't plan to start now. Maybe in 5 years when it's on TV I'll watch it, but until then I wouldn't bother wasting money.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#18 gigatime

gigatime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

I haven't been to the cinema in years, and I don't plan to start now. Maybe in 5 years when it's on TV I'll watch it, but until then I wouldn't bother wasting money.

Ohhhh, dude your right. Hahaha forgot how expensive cinemas are now and why would you waste your money after you said you could kind of care less about the film. :P

#19 Paranormalist

Paranormalist

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSouthern America

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Ok, my review, in short:

This was one hell of an enjoyable movie. What really drives it on are the character interactions, mainly with its Whedon-esque character interactions. The main character fell somewhat flat for me, since he was basically a blank slate with a force-fed subplot of being half ancient alien. However! He does fit the role of bringing together an amusing mix of characters.

Hilarious as it was, the action fell short, until the climactic battle that the ending of the Serenity film was envious of. It was only appropriate that the man who was the lead role in Firefly, Nathan Fillion, had a cameo in the film. I hope in the future Rocket's character is more flushed out, as they hinted a much deeper persona than just a raccoon that loves guns!

Bautista was the PERFECT fit for Drax, in my opinion. His flat delivery of lines made the character. He held some of my favorite lines, more so than Groot.

As my fiance said, "Hollywood discovered that they can paint Zoe Zaldana any color, and she will still be gorgeous!" I, myself, just saw Uhura in green.

As for Groot... "Suuuper Man..."

No spoilers, but the climactic team scene made me hold up my arms to give my energy to Goku for the Spirit Bomb... AMAZING!

While the film is great in theaters, you can wait to get the DVD. You MUST see this film, it really fits in as the "Part Two" in the Marvel Film Universe!

9/10

I apologize for any misspellings, I am on pain medicine due to the fall I took yesterday. 

Edited due to crappy computer posting before I was ready.

Oh good! My favorite show...

giphy.gif

#20 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

The soundtrack was pretty great. I kind of like that they didn't use modern tracks in a big budget movie. The action was pretty good, even better in 3-D. But the humor was what put the film over the top. Shit you can quote with your friends afterwards.

Spoiler

Rocket and Groot were sweet at times. Star Lord was a kind of a dick, but not 100%, so it was enamoring. Like a more modern Han Solo combined with Captain Kurk, banging pink skinned aliens and all.

I go to the movies more for the trip with friends or a girl than seeing the actual movie. I know plenty of people who don't go at all, but I think it's a fun experience. Even if a movie is terrible, we have fun watching it. My God, we quoted that Suckerpunch movie for a week afterward. The weapon is inside of you!

Guardians was fun.

Spoiler
And
Spoiler
Also, was anyone else disappointing that Cosmo was in the film and didn't get a single line?

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store