nmjUGDL.jpg

#22 Farmer

Farmer

Byte

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDover Air Force Base

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

The best I I found to make games is through "gamemaker" after you get the hang of it you can make a huge variety of older styled games games.
Especially since they came out with "gamemaker html". Now people can post their game's onto their own websites.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat forever. The problem is we made fishing illegal.

#23 Bell

Bell

Byte

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I have made a game, or its based on a another game. browser.
It not so hard, but takes a few hours to set up all :) pvp game if i can say it so ;)
this drink, I like it! another!

#24 Julia

Julia

Byte

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I would stay away from Gamemaker. No one will take you seriously. Links to information.
http://www.fastgraph...mes/chapt1.html
http://www.gamefroms...-developer.aspx

#25 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Ok So................

Heres my experience with javascript, game making and turn based....

1) Gaes usually require a "Comet" system
Comets are the idea that the server (website) is sending events to the client (user)
Which is actually illegal...
However, there are work arounds....

a) Making a call every 50 to 100 milliseconds to a php script that will edit or read a file

since this is turned based, this could be pulled off and be well done. You don't have to be worriesd about real time, so this is the solution I think would be best for you. Since this is making a server call to a php function, you have access to SQL or anything else you want.

B) "Hanging Ajax" + PHP

This is something I fooled around with which is the idea that the php message your returning to the server is delayed by a loop that checks a file. This file itself is read/edited by 2 scripts for each person making it extremely important to make sure down time for each PHP script to stop reading and allow others to read. It works... but not necessarilly well at this point in time. Also important to note that PHP times out. thats a problem... (a good example, a bad example)

c) Websocket + Java

Probably the best form of comet system where the webbrowser actually has consistant contact to a java application. This allows a single application to hold the game in memory and feed live events as it happens. This is something I have not really looked into though its applications are obvious.

In essence, this is something very important when considering multiplayer games

2) Engine/Vision
I've never played final fantasy tactics, however, I'd imagine its like a turn based bomberman.
Regardless, setting up a grid isn't hard. Setting up characters isn't hard. making terrain isn't hard. having effects isn't hard. Graphics may be annoying.
Regardless though, it involves discipline and organization.
Its very important to make a class based gameplay design in order to mae sure everything is seperate and you can understand how everything will work with one another.

I'd suggest organizin everything in broad terms like:
  • Map-This involves where characters will spawn, objects will be placed, etc but most importantly will be a x by y grid of everything that can interact with one another
  • Character-A character will have base stats, movement and attacks
  • Attacks: Range, area of effect, movement effects, blockade effects, damage, etc
3) Graphical User Interface-Applying Names to attacks or terrain. Giving people menus.
This is where things get interesting with choice. You now have 2 options: Canvas or HTML

HTML - have text copy/pastable, Use HTML/CSS to make animations and ease the burden
--however its also subject to the dom, and the dom is an single threaded meaning if your accessing it in a loop, you must wait for the last iteration to end before you can continue

Canvas - Allows you to do unique animations like Rotation and draw lines directily to the screen, is faster in a sence
--Solomently javascript
--Can double buffer... kkind of .... (Create graphics in background then display them)

#26 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

Posibly look into flash? Java could be an option however. But it would require people to install java on their computer, When most people rather flash player and what not because of it's really easy installer.

*insert cliché inspirational quote here*

#27 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

btw, sorry if i sound frustrated, I'm working on my own project right now that I've hit a few snags in.

#28 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the tips.

As far as flash goes, it seems to be on it's way out, and at this point most people have java installed anyways. It's common enough where it's one of the things I install on new computers at work.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#29 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the tips.

As far as flash goes, it seems to be on it's way out, and at this point most people have java installed anyways. It's common enough where it's one of the things I install on new computers at work.

Ah I see. I haven't really noticed that flash is on it's way out.

*insert cliché inspirational quote here*

#30 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yeah. Java is what everyone is moving to.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#31 formula1

formula1

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

java is great,
but you'll have to learn sockets amoungst other things depending on whether you use a library or which library you use

i'd honestly say your better off with javascript unless you want to deal with finnicky compilation errors, JNPL as well awt for images.

but java uses the systems resourcs better, and multithreading isn't as finnicky

#32 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

i would use java because im familiar with it. Minecraft was made in java.

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#33 CSS

CSS

Byte

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm not looking at that game, but i'm gonna answer the question anyway.

A good idea would be to learn Javascript, CSS, jQuery + PHP with MySQL. There's a few great books out there or you can follow tutorials.

If you are interested in the CSS, a friend of mine is beginning a CSS tutorial series on YouTube. He brings out 1 tutorial a day and he would be great full for anybody to take a look at least.

The PHP, JQuery, MySQL and JS - A good source of knowledge is thenewboston.

#34 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm pretty fluent in HTML and CSS, though I still need to learn HTML5 stuff. I know enougb PHP and MySQL to get by on a place like this as well, but not nearly enough for something like a web based game.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#35 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I used these tutorials to get started with XNA. It was quite fun but I never stuck with it long enough to do anything large scale.

http://www.riemers.net/

Also the XNA framework is supposed to be portable to the Xbox platform. Thus, you can test/play with your xbox!

http://www.riemers.n...g_a_project.php - The navigation is on the right side under "Contents" > "Tutorials"