23 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Arin takes a critical, brilliant look at the two of them.

He worked on this for THREE YEARS, and he's amazing.

The end.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#2 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Bonus, he fucking RIPS Skyward Sword.

AND IT FEELS SO GODDAMN GOOD.

I LOVE YOU, ARIN HANSON.

#3 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

It's nice to see someone else who is able to look at skyward sword for what it is and not from the perspective of their rose tinted glasses. I was upset with it because I had really high hopes with the intergrated use of motion plus which was new and exciting at the time which only served to be a huge hinderance. But the game felt dull, I was required to go to the same place a bazillion times and find this and that and do some collecting musical notes underwater bullshit. Plus the game was never hard. It was the only zelda game I wasn't stupid enough to ever need a walkthrough for. Oh and the Imprisoned. THE FUCKING IMPRISONED. Skyward Sword: Groose out of 10.

#4 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

It was the only zelda game I was stupid enough to ever need a walkthrough for.

Or a fucking BRAIN. Solved EVERYTHING in fifteen seconds or less. NO SATISFACTION. EVER.

#5 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Or a fucking BRAIN. Solved EVERYTHING in fifteen seconds or less. NO SATISFACTION. EVER.

Woops I meant to say wasn't stupid enough to need a walkthrough for.

#6 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

And like, 90% of the comments are butt hurt die hard fans who disagree with everything that was said because LoZ is LoZ.

I thought OoT was an okay game, addmitedly I didn't play it so much as I watched it being played. Some of it was tedious yeah, but some of it was fun too. This video actually just pretty much agreed with what I thought was wrong with OoT...and half of the LoZ games in general. :P

Still love Wind Waker though. Hnnng.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#7 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Ok well I'm playing ocarina of time now, on 64 and it's pretty hard. I mean it does have a LOT of back and forth, but Diablo is the same thing over and over and I feel like OOT is way more intense. I am using a walk through since this is my first solo video game I am trying to beat. The bosses take more than 5 times to kill. And it's always a maze. I've never played the other Zelda games

Ginger, is the spice of life

#8 Elfie

Elfie

Goddess

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationThe land of Oz

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ok I watched the video.. didn't see it before. I guess all I can say is that I very much enjoy ocarina of time. I am constantly strategizing how to get to the next thing. I think waiting does give it an extra obstacle because you're all hyped up. I think the side quests add a LOT because without some you'd be left having no idea what to do. You gotta figure it out!! :)

Ginger, is the spice of life

#9 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

I'm in love with OoT as well but I think he makes VERY valid points in his video. For me, all the things he pointed out don't take away from the game BUT I can see how for others they can be a downfall. I'm not very good at video games (I don't know what is wrong with me but I always have issues :lol: ) so I think that is why I like the LoZ series because it can be predictable and at times not super challenging. I'm more into the game for the story and the characters then for the challenge.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#10 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

That beginning was really funny. >.>

"I'M GONNA GET CRUCIFIED!" xD

Lp5M62Z.gif

#11 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

God, fucking skyward sword. 

So condescending. I felt like nintendo spat on me. 

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#12 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

God, fucking skyward sword. 

So condescending. I felt like nintendo spat on me. 

THIS times ten hundred fucking bazillion trillion.

#13 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Bonus, he fucking RIPS Skyward Sword.

AND IT FEELS SO GODDAMN GOOD.

I LOVE YOU, ARIN HANSON.

I really liked Skyward Sword actually.  And Ocarina of Time.  Both more than A Link to the Past.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#14 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Okay. I pride myself on being open-minded.

As such, I respectfully request that you explain your reasoning before I end our friendship.

#15 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Okay. I pride myself on being open-minded.

As such, I respectfully request that you explain your reasoning before I end our friendship.

I assume you're only talking about Skyward Sword here, so let me explain.

With the Wii Motion Plus controls, SS had the most cathartic fighting system of any Zelda game.  Also, flying on the Loftwing was just fuckin' balls ass fun.  Since The Minish Cap is my favorite 2-D Zelda, I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3-D appearances of the Gust Jar and the Mole Mitts.  I also felt that this was one of the hardest 3-D Zeldas, specifically the bosses.  The bosses were much harder this time around, more infuriating.  I enjoyed this because a lot of the 3-D Zelda bosses are painfully easy.  Ghirahim was particularly difficult.  The bosses took more strategy this time around.  Hell, I have never beaten Demise without using the invulnerability potion.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#16 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Far as I'm concerned, Ghirahim was the only good thing about that game. The controls for the Loftwing needed help. I thought the Bellows was the fucking lamest item in Zelda ever, and the only difficulty I really found in the bosses was when I hadn't figured out the best way to beat them.

I never used a potion, period. (Please don't think I'm looking down on your for that; I'm looking down at the game for not challenging me enough.)

Oh, and FUCK the trials. Those were three heart attacks I could have done without. Holy shit.

Lastly, FUCK the demon cats at night. I cried like a child when I had to hit one and it cried and cowered in terror. I'm tearing up thinking about it right now.

No, fuck you, Skyward Sword. I cannot forgive you.

#17 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Oh, and FUCK the trials. Those were three heart attacks I could have done without. Holy shit.

Lastly, FUCK the demon cats at night. I cried like a child when I had to hit one and it cried and cowered in terror. I'm tearing up thinking about it right now.

No, fuck you, Skyward Sword. I cannot forgive you.

The trials were one of my favorite parts of the game.  They were genuinely terrifying experiences.

The demon cats never really bothered me much.  But I could never get the harp right in the bar.  That pissed me off.  Similar to the Spirit Flute from Spirit Tracks in annoyance, but harder.

I also very much liked that Skyward Sword broke a long-running Zelda rule, namely, that the item you get in a dungeon helps to beat said dungeon's boss.  I enjoyed that new development.

I'm very much surprised that Ghirahim has not been confirmed yet for the next Super Smash Bros. game.

I would also like to remind you that Twilight Princess is my favorite video game of all time.

Ocarina of Time is second, Skyward Sword is third.

#18 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Just watched it. Fucking awesome. 

batman_003_01.jpg

#19 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

The terror of the trials is exactly why fuck them. Goddamn.

And yeah, couldn't ever please the bar patrons with the harp ever, either. This from someone who has been playing rhythm games for decades. Even watched a video and tried to copy them. Nope.

Can you clarify what you mean about it breaking the item-in-dungeon-kills-boss thing? 'Cause, that was the rule in OoT, but NOT the rule in LttP, so, I'm not sure on which side you're saying Skyward lies.

I liked Twip. I thought it was gorgeous and interesting. For the record, my favorite Zelda is Wind Waker.

Ghirahim. That's my closing comment.

#20 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

The terror of the trials is exactly why fuck them. Goddamn.

Can you clarify what you mean about it breaking the item-in-dungeon-kills-boss thing? 'Cause, that was the rule in OoT, but NOT the rule in LttP, so, I'm not sure on which side you're saying Skyward lies.

I liked Twip. I thought it was gorgeous and interesting. For the record, my favorite Zelda is Wind Waker.

Ghirahim. That's my closing comment.

That was a new thing.  The trials were a nice new addition.  And a Zelda game rarely legitimately scares me.  It was great.

It's been true for most Zeldas, the dungeon item is used to kill the dungeon boss rule.  Has been in almost every Zelda I've played.  Haven't replayed LttP in a while, so I don't remember whether or not it follows that rule.

The Wind Waker is actually my least favorite of the 3-D Zeldas (but still my sixth favorite game overall.)  Only non-Zelda game in front of it is RE4 (at #4, oddly enough.)  Personally, that's only because I like all the others more, although I will admit Majora's Mask barely overtook it in my book.  It may be because I played the game to death trying to beat the Nintendo Gallery.  Replayed it like 6 or more times to finally complete it.  Pissed me off.  Missed it by one once because I forgot to snap a photo of the mini boss special Wizzrobe in the Wind Temple.

He should totally be in the next Super Smash Bros.