#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

http://www.gereports...e-farmer-builds

The farm uses 17,500 LED lights spread over 18 cultivation racks reaching 15 levels high.

The LED lights are a key part of the farm’s magic. They allow Shimamura to control the night-and-day cycle and accelerate growth. “What we need to do is not just setting up more days and nights,” he says. “We want to achieve the best combination of photosynthesis during the day and breathing at night by controlling the lighting and the environment.”

Shimamura says that the systems allows him to grow lettuce full of vitamins and minerals two-and-a-half times faster than an outdoor farm. He is also able to cut discarded produce from 50 percent to just 10 percent of the harvest, compared to a conventional farm. As a result, the farms productivity per square foot is up 100-fold, he says.

By controlling temperature, humidity and irrigation, the farm can also cut its water usage to just 1 percent of the amount needed by outdoor fields.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

This is amazing, but the title of that article is what really sealed the deal for me.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

It really is. The space and energy used is amazingly efficient. The water usage even more so.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I feel like you would go blind if you went in there without sunglasses or something.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#5 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

It really is. The space and energy used is amazingly efficient. The water usage even more so.

It never ceases to amaze what Japan does with a small amount of space and enough brainpower.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#6 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

This technology brings us one step closer to turning sub-Saharan Africa into a breadbasket, that's the first thing that comes to mind. It's an absolutely amazing breakthrough in agriculture.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#7 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Lettuce is pretty easy to grow anywhere, I wonder how this indoor farm would be with other vegetables and possibly fruits. I'm intrigued to see where there is going to go. He has a great idea and I hope that it can bloom fully.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#8 gr3yh4m3

gr3yh4m3

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

That does look pretty cool, although not to be a buzz kill but how healthy would that be in the long term? I'm not trying to pay it out I just want to know if there are two sides to this story.

elmo-o.gif

#9 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

I could harvest a few crops of my own special veges.

Good concept. Kinda scifi though,

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#10 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

That does look pretty cool, although not to be a buzz kill but how healthy would that be in the long term? I'm not trying to pay it out I just want to know if there are two sides to this story.

For places in the world with little to no food, I'm sure they'd be willing to do with a bit of a tummy ache. 

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity