#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

http://bgr.com/2014/...nds-on-preview/

This is a pretty interesting idea. I'm excited to see where they go with it.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Honestly I don't think it'll take off. The specs don't seem all that interesting for a supposed gaming machine, and as mentioned in the comments, you still need to provide a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. That'll drive the price up.

Also it doesn't mention a GPU at all. It'd be nice if it did >.>

They also seem to be designing it for people with more money than sense. "With multiple docking stations around the house" (each station being $99) you really are better off buying a laptop. You lose a little mobility, but you gain not having to pay extra for accessories aside from a laptop bag if you wanna go out with it.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a GPU because it's using an APU. >.>

I don't think it's practical at all, but the fact that they fit it all into something so small is very interesting. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I just assumed as it doesn't list any kind of graphics chip or any information on just how good it would work. No info on benchmarks etc. Big talk, nothing to back it up.

Also what I don't understand, is why multiple docks? For example, I don't have multiple chargers for my cellphone or my laptop. If I want to put them somewhere else, I take the charger with me and plug it in there >.> I don't buy another to leave at work XD It just stinks of "we want more money for less work"

LL1Yc5i.gif

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

It's a pretty standard A6-5200. Nothing remarkable about it, and at this point all the APU chips have been benchmarked I'm sure. http://www.cpubenchm...AMD A6-5200 APU

I have 3 phone chargers. One at home, one in the car, and one at work. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

I can see the point of multiple docks strictly to appeal to convenience. I also have multiple chargers just in my home. I have one upstairs and one downstairs and that's purely because of those moments when you need to charge your phone but you don't want to go downstairs (aka laziness). So I could see the multiple docks being a selling point for them.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#7 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Convenience I get.

Convenience at $99 per outlet I don't.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#8 gr3yh4m3

gr3yh4m3

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

Speaking hypothetically, my friend bounced this one off me a while ago. He believes that laptops are becoming redundant for live digital music making (on let's say programs like ableton live). The fact that all you really need for this thing is a monitor (and dock) might mean a little more real-estate on stage, if say you condense it as well as your DI, and other mountable effects onto a single rack. Mount the monitor onto that, and you have your entire live setup on wheels. That way you're not carting everything around individually. Cool idea I thought. But like I say, hypothetical.

elmo-o.gif