41 replies to this topic

#21 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Something that we should consider is that Canada was annexed into the U.S. in 2054, according to Fallout 3's load screen. Bethesda could still make it in Toronto or Ontario I suppose, or they could have the war of 2054. That would be fun.

Toronto is in Ontario, so it would have to take place in and around both most likely.

I would prefer if it took place a bit more North, even if it were in Ontario.

I want a frozen wasteland with all it's icy dangers.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#22 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I agree, if it took place in Canada I would want like wilderness Canada. Like this place we use to go to when I was little. It was this remote lake and you had to take a boat to get to the cabin, there were no roads. That was awesome.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#23 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Canada is a lot like Russia in that we're xboxhuge, and we have a lot of very wild landscape, but unlike Russia we've managed to tame a lot of it, and actually run roads from one side of the country to the other.

Though like Russia we do have places only accessible by boat/plane.

5A5DjRW.gif

#24 ทหารราบ

ทหารราบ

Megabyte

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

I know it's late to post this response, I just wanted to say that the whole boat/plane thing would work for Florida too. I think that there are a lot of seaplanes around the Miami area. Jacksonville and Tampa are both swarming with boats. I guess it's kind of a Florida vs. Canada vs. Greenland with this thread.

#25 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Im tired of the snow. Anchorage was enough of that. Canada would be promising with the amount of woods and hunting. I'm on the Florida team. At least its something different. 

batman_003_01.jpg

#26 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I used to be a frequently posting member of a Fallout RP forum called The Wastes. The setting was fantastic, and fairly unique to boot. We inhabited post-war Texas, and with it menagerie of different factions, both canon and fanon. The Texas Brotherhood of Steel detachment, Organised Tribes of the South, Swampers, the Neo-Confederacy and The Louisiana Board of Education are a few that come to mind. It would certainly be an interesting place to explore.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#27 thefuturebatman

thefuturebatman

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

i think the florida thing sounds cool, but i think they need to leave america. maybe they should try britain and ireland. lots of wooded areas and bndits roaming arund the country. or a snowy swedan with big bears going around hunting people. or the jungles of south america for some guerilla war.

#28 Noir

Noir

Megabyte

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

I think the fact Bethesda are planning its first ever conference at E3 sounds promising for this. 

8Kd33GJ.gif

'Cause I know, 
I'll kill my enemies,
When they come.

#29 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

We can only dream. I have this terrible feeling Bethesda is going to take a shit all over the franchise though. In terms of gameplay F3 was pretty good but the story was a steamy crap that splattered right over the chest of F1 and F2 canon.

#30 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

I enjoyed 3 enough, but New Vegas was pretty much a crap sandwich.

If they do another I really hope they do it right.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#31 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:01 AM

See I liked Vegas for everything 3 wasn't, and disliked it for almost everything 3 was. The story was a nice follow on front the original games but the differences in gameplay were arbitrary and the glitches and crashes were incredible.

Honestly they need to sit down with the guys who were at Interplay, people like Fargo and Boyarsky, and say 'look, we could both make this game rock, you guys do story well, that's proven by your track record, but we do the actual technicals better than any other AAA RPG developer, let's just come together and sort this shit out'.

But they won't, because fuck them is why.

#32 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Would be cool to take place in San Fran. Or even NY. Fuck it. Tokyo would be epic. 

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#33 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

See I liked Vegas for everything 3 wasn't, and disliked it for almost everything 3 was. The story was a nice follow on front the original games but the differences in gameplay were arbitrary and the glitches and crashes were incredible.

Honestly they need to sit down with the guys who were at Interplay, people like Fargo and Boyarsky, and say 'look, we could both make this game rock, you guys do story well, that's proven by your track record, but we do the actual technicals better than any other AAA RPG developer, let's just come together and sort this shit out'.

But they won't, because fuck them is why.

Having played both recent Fallout games on all three platforms (360, PS3, PC) I found New Vegas to be far more stable, and far more fun. The DLC for Fallout 3 had some fun stuff, but the core game was for the most part a drag. New Vegas made the story fun, and the factions were awesome. Not to mention the followers had better personalities.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#34 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

The story was worked on by some of the lead Interplay writers I believe, they left and went to Obsidian. Since they wrote the rise of the NCR and planned Cæesars Legion for Van Buren they probably knew where they wanted both factions to go. Personally I though the Legion was uninspired but it worked all right and the background fluff was cool.

#35 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

I didn't care much about Legion, mainly because it felt like they were the antagonists from the beginning. So I always sided with the NCR. Like, even from the very start I ran into Legion dudes wanting to bust my skull, so >.>

Plus NCR seemed more technologically advanced and put together, and since I was playing Hardcore I figured the best plan would be the one that keeps me alive ;D

Also sniper guy was NCR.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#36 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

New Vegas was a glitchy, crashy, unpolished turd as far as gameplay went in my experience.

At least while playing 3 I could actually lock in on people with VATS, and not be killed through walls by asshole insects.

Plot wise 3 was a far more serious run.

It had its quirky goofiness, but overall it was a much more grim apocalypse survival scenario.

New Vegas was way more heavy handed with the zany oddities than the serious stuff.

The plot line for New Vegas was also as boring and predictable as a convention for mini van enthusiasts.

If they do a Fallout 4, they need to make the gameplay solid as fuck and hire some good writers who know the canon and the rest should fall in to place relatively easily.

#37 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

I will give you that the pre-patch release was a mess but the plot was fine imo. Plenty of it was nuanced and explained through exploration rather than ham fisted exposition. As such whilst the primary plot line might have seemed basic it was fed through a hundred tributary sub-plots. Not to mention that the Mojave is the eastern-most extent of the NCR, little more than a far flung outpost, much of the interesting plots are laced through secondary factions like the Great Khans, Boomers and those Vault 3 psychos.

#38 SunMoonStars

SunMoonStars

Byte

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

I preferred New Vegas overall; better gameplay, story and characters, I think 3 did the depressing atmosphere a lot better, and I do love me some depression. I hated the main quest in 3, the DLCs had their good points, but the sidequests is where I really sunk time in. I got a whole load more immersed in 3 than I ever did in New Vegas. New Vegas, I kept getting pulled out of the experience while playing New Vegas. I did like the Faction system, but it could be improved. The only faction I didn't like was Legion, they just seemed to be the faction to choose for a token evil playthrough. 

What I want for Fallout 4 is better combat, and get some of Interplay guys in on story.

#39 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

. Personally I though the Legion was uninspired

It kind of was, there was a ton of content cut from FNV before launch that included half the map. FNV map was supposed to be twice+ it's current size, they had originally planned to have a full state on the other side of the river that was all legion land, but didn't have enough time to put it all together. Unfortunately because of this they didn't get to have as much story and fleshing done for the Legion either.

5A5DjRW.gif

#40 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Huh, I didn't know that. Shame. :(