5 replies to this topic

#1 The Great Nerdasaurus

The Great Nerdasaurus

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Recently I have been looking into buying a smart watch like the Pebble or Gear 2. Does anyone have a smart watch or any research/suggestions on them?

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles.” ~ Doctor Who

"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?" ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Back up everything!" ~ Kevin Mitnick

#2 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

A phone strapped to your wrist, that only works if it's paired with your actual phone and if it's in close enough proximity to it?

Sounds like a waste of effort, that's my thought on it >.>

I remember seeing a gadget show on TV where they showcased a few smart watches, and none of them were very good. One was a Sony, if I remember correctly.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#3 The Great Nerdasaurus

The Great Nerdasaurus

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

A phone strapped to your wrist, that only works if it's paired with your actual phone and if it's in close enough proximity to it?

Sounds like a waste of effort, that's my thought on it >.>

I remember seeing a gadget show on TV where they showcased a few smart watches, and none of them were very good. One was a Sony, if I remember correctly.

I understand the problem of the having your phone on you, but I am in need of a watch anyways and I always like having something a bit out of the ordinary. I know they have a negative vibe overall but I've used my friends and I have to say it was pretty neat.

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles.” ~ Doctor Who

#4 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

The only thing that I've seen smart watches be useful for is my friend uses it to monitor his sleep, so that it will wake him up between deep sleep cycles and he can see graphs of when he was sleeping.

Smart phones do the same thing but its somehow more accurate on your wrist.

#5 The Great Nerdasaurus

The Great Nerdasaurus

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

I should probably add I am also considering developing apps for the smart watches if I do get one. It would not just be for personal use.

#6 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

My ex got a Pebble for Christmas. He was in love with it for like 2 weeks and then stopped wearing it.  I think it lost it's appeal after he actually had it and was using it.  But from what I had seen it worked well.  Did what he wanted it to do.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smart, technology, new, opinion, thoughts, watches, smart watches, pebble