Photo

I'm a little new to anime, any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mooseabella

mooseabella

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

I've watched a lot of soul eater, some attack on Titan, some Hetalia, and I just started lucky star...any suggestions?

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Oh, oh, oh! This is my time to shine! I wrote a post like this a couple months ago somewhere... here:

One of the best 'gateway anime' imo is Fullmetal Alchemist. It's set in a world where alchemy is a thing, and there are people who study it. It's basically magic. It follows two brothers who committed one of the most taboo acts, trying to bring their mother back to life by human transmutation. It's hard to describe the story from there because there's two different versions of this series, the first series starts off close to the manga, and then branches off into it's own story. The second series was like a remake of the first that more closely follows the manga. I recommend the second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but it doesn't matter which one you choose. I just like Brotherhood better.

Death Note is also pretty good. In short, it's about the protagonist, a high school boy, finding a special notebook: If you write a name in the book, that person will die. The protagonist then uses the book to instill his own version of justice over hardened criminals and such. The series then goes into a battle of wits with him and the best detective in the world. It's really good and I think it's one of those shows you think about well after it's over. I dunno, it really made me think about morality. 

Death Note is a lot more sober and dramatic. The action comes more from the mental processes of the characters. FMA is (somewhat) more lighthearted, there's still a lot of parts that can break your heart, and it's got a lot more action and fight scenes.. 

#3 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru cuz I don't care.

reddit.com/r/Animesuggest/

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#4 mooseabella

mooseabella

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

Oooh, I'll definitely try Fullmetal...I recently got my friend the first volume of the manga, so I'm hoping she'll let me borrow it.
I think death note will be the first one I try after I finish soul eater, it sounds really good... Thanks :)

#5 Bloodangel

Bloodangel

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Oh, oh, oh! This is my time to shine! I wrote a post like this a couple months ago somewhere... here:

One of the best 'gateway anime' imo is Fullmetal Alchemist. It's set in a world where alchemy is a thing, and there are people who study it. It's basically magic. It follows two brothers who committed one of the most taboo acts, trying to bring their mother back to life by human transmutation. It's hard to describe the story from there because there's two different versions of this series, the first series starts off close to the manga, and then branches off into it's own story. The second series was like a remake of the first that more closely follows the manga. I recommend the second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but it doesn't matter which one you choose. I just like Brotherhood better.

Death Note is also pretty good. In short, it's about the protagonist, a high school boy, finding a special notebook: If you write a name in the book, that person will die. The protagonist then uses the book to instill his own version of justice over hardened criminals and such. The series then goes into a battle of wits with him and the best detective in the world. It's really good and I think it's one of those shows you think about well after it's over. I dunno, it really made me think about morality. 

Death Note is a lot more sober and dramatic. The action comes more from the mental processes of the characters. FMA is (somewhat) more lighthearted, there's still a lot of parts that can break your heart, and it's got a lot more action and fight scenes.. 

I remember that, it was when I first came to the Forum, ahhhh such memories!

I also recommend Fate/Zero. Its about different mage factions in modern day fighting for the Holy Grail (which grants a miracle to each member of the winning faction), with each mage faction summoning a different Heroic Spirit to complete for the Grail.

How I Feel When People I Hate Have A Miserable Day

5pZjHAx.gif      200.gif

#6 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'm pretty new to anime also.

What I tend to do is browse through the kissanime website and find movies or series with 'hot' next to them and watch the first episode or two to get an idea on what it's like. Sometimes it's a hit and miss but quite often I will find something I like.

Here's a link to the website. Have a browse.

http://kissanime.com/AnimeList

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#7 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

Yes, okay, let's start with the funny:

1. Nichijou

tumblr_n6kfcy5psu1r8tyjfo1_500.gif

2. Mitsudomoe

tumblr_n6c7jjTBay1totg5co2_500.gif

3. Wagnaria (Aka WORKING)

tumblr_m0lhfsh3WF1rn5qbho1_500.png

4. School Rumble

tumblr_mpl4hiUAbq1svee3eo1_400.gif

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#8 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

HunterXHunter is awesome. Gon and Killua have one of the best bromances ever.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#9 gr3yh4m3

gr3yh4m3

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

I would definitely recommend fruits basket, seriously cool anime. But also do check out the subreddit nodanico suggested. Its just awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

elmo-o.gif

#10 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Try subbed One Piece as the dubbed one by 4Kids is really edited down. Might be best just to read the manga actually.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is really wacky and absurdist.

DBZ and Dragonball are great if you can find the dubbed uncut versions.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the faithful anime of that manga, so watch that.

And watch Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series by Little Kuriboh, just because it's awesome. So is DBZ Abridged by Team Four Star.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#11 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Also, 50% OFF!, the abridged version of FREE: Iwatowa Swim Club.

Thug seme.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#12 steampunkgrrrl

steampunkgrrrl

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest AL

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Ghibli. Ghibli Ghibli Ghibli. (Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, definitely.)

If you like horror, then I suggest starting with the classic Vampire Hunter D. Although its sequel, Bloodlust, is much prettier and has an awesome lurve story, but a tragic ending.

Hozuki's Coolheadedness for comedy. If you liked Lucky Star you might like Azumanga Daioh or Cromartie High School.

One Piece is good too.
card.png

#13 Ninja_Vanished

Ninja_Vanished

Byte

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

Some awesome animes that I have found are:

-Black Butler

-It's about a boy whose family have died in a fire. He makes a contract with a demon, so the demon serves as his butler and keeps him  safe no matter what. In return, at the end of his life, the demon gets his soul. I think it has some hilarious parts.

-Neo Angelique

-This one has a lighter tone. It's about a girl that goes to this private school and learns that she is the "queen's egg". The queen's egg supposedly has the ability to purify monsters that roam their world that take away the youth from people. She annoys me sometimes, though, because she ALWAYS has to be protected.

A lot of my anime I get is from http://Crunchyroll.com and http://Animeget.com. You can also watch many much anime from Youtube. Enjoy!

:ph34r: This is not a ninja.

#14 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

(Spirited Away)

Why? Tell me why would a newbie to anime want to watch one of the weirdest and dumb animes?

Wait for him to watch at least 30 animes before suggesting this because the probability of him disliking it will be much lower

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#15 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

Why? Tell me why would a newbie to anime want to watch one of the weirdest and dumb animes?

Wait for him to watch at least 30 animes before suggesting this because the probability of him disliking it will be much lower

Are you serious? Miyazaki's films are classics, the Japanese think of them as we think of the older Disney films like Bambi, Snow White, and Toy Story. Some of those films are over 20 years old and they're still being adored and showed around the world.

I personally think Ghibli films are perfect for getting into anime. They're not saturated with uncomfortable panty shot and fanservice scenes, they aren't over the top and prone to scare off new fans, and they're one-shot films so no commitment is needed to watch them, only like an hour and a half of your time. They're films anyone of any age can enjoy, and they're the favourites of many anime fans both new and seasoned.

Don't talk about taste when you've got a Kill la Kill image in your signature.

#16 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

Are you serious? Miyazaki's films are classics, the Japanese think of them as we think of the older Disney films like Bambi, Snow White, and Toy Story. Some of those films are over 20 years old and they're still being adored and showed around the world.

I personally think Ghibli films are perfect for getting into anime. They're not saturated with uncomfortable panty shot and fanservice scenes, they aren't over the top and prone to scare off new fans, and they're one-shot films so no commitment is needed to watch them, only like an hour and a half of your time. They're films anyone of any age can enjoy, and they're the favourites of many anime fans both new and seasoned.

Don't talk about taste when you've got a Kill la Kill image in your signature.

I guess there are some good things but still 9hEUq.gif this is too weird.

about the kill la kill pic, I didn't put it there because of the anime. It's because it kinda shows me. Blood raining on her while she is enjoying it and laughing. I'd be like this in real life. You see, I dislike people.

Btw I do like every anime I watched so far even spirited away, heck even School Days. yep.

I  don't know why but every single anime I watched is awesome to me, though I don't think someone who is new should watch this.

Maybe anohana, clannad, full metal alchemist, guilty crown but not spirited away and yeah, this is just my opinion.

#17 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

30 animes? seriously? I haven't even watched 30 anime shows in my life.

maybe it's just me, but I need 10 days to finish 30 animes.

I caught up on one piece in 2-3 weeks while going to school.

#18 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

30 animes? seriously? I haven't even watched 30 anime shows in my life.

Filthy casual

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#19 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Filthy casual

Agreed.

do you have an myanimelist?

btw I like your username

If anyone here has an myanimelist, care to share?

Spirited Away was one of the first anime works I'de ever seen, and also broke me into the genre.

You did not "broke" into the genre if you haven't even seen 30 animes.

#20 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

You did not "broke" into the genre if you haven't even seen 30 animes.

LOL But your grammar is BROKEN. :P

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???