#1 NightN7

NightN7

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

Anyone use it?

I don't use it directly, but my dedicated server runs Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which I recently upgraded from 13.10. I like it so far.

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,518 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

I do.

Linux Mint something something I don't remember.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

I generally use Linux for my general computer needs and most of my programming.

The biggest downside is that most current gen games don't work on at and a lot of speciality software doesn't work. So all of my 3D modeling stuff I have to do through Windows since we use 3DS Max. It has Blender, but I haven't had time to try it out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, running Ubuntu 14,04.

#4 Kirihime Natsuno

Kirihime Natsuno

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

I dualbooted Ubuntu 13.x on my old laptop. I haven't bothered doing it on my current one.

tumblr_mrhkcaV1Rj1rmc8dco1_500.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#5 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

I would say I can handle myself on ubuntu, and I'm decent at managing a debian through SSH. 

Personally, I would never use Linux on a daily basis, as my main OS. Though it's perfect in order to make servers, to my eyes. 

userbar.gif

#6 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

I dual boot windows and an arch install.
Arch is pretty fucking brilliant.
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#7 The Great Nerdasaurus

The Great Nerdasaurus

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

I only use it for my Raspberry Pi, but my friend dualbooted it onto a chromebook for taking advantage of my school's network.

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles.” ~ Doctor Who

"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?" ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Back up everything!" ~ Kevin Mitnick

#8 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:48 AM

I use Ubuntu 13.10 on my laptop..

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#9 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

I never really trusted Linux when it comes to laptops. Most of the time you end up with at least one driver missing. But I'm possibily wrong.

userbar.gif

#10 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

I've been wanting to try one of the new arch based distros. 

Should I grab NetRunner, Chakra, Manjaro or Anterg OS?  

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#11 Reflex F.N.

Reflex F.N.

Byte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:46 AM

I have been using Ubuntu 14.04 for about a week or so. I am loving it so much, so far. If only it could run all of the games I play, I would have it completely replace Windows in an instant. But for now, I am dual booting it with Windows. I still need to get use to it; it seems like it needs a bit of time for you to get use to Linux.

I might also try a few other distros, in the future. :)

#12 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:26 AM

Debian Wheezy.  I switched to linux full time in like, May 2014... never needed to go back except for games and video players, You know, cuz money.

#13 Senpie

Senpie

Byte

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

I have and still do on a regular basis. I've tried many distros such as Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc. but my personal favorite is Korora which is based off of Fedora.

#14 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

I've got a gaming PC with Win7 because even Steam provides less than a quarter of my library on Linux. But at work it's currently Mint with Cinnamon, I've got a laptop on Arch XFCE and I tried to run Arch at work but since I administrate our AD domain, I gave up when I saw how much more work it was looking to be.

I want to try Arch with Plasma but since it won't work at work, my laptop is weak and my home PC only really sees gaming use(I can surf and chat etc on my phone/tablet) I don't find myself with a PC to complicate.

I'd leave Windows entirely if I could get my gaming through Linux, as it stands I'll eventually have to swallow the pill and get on 10 for my gaming PC. It's really a frustrating situation as there's basically nothing on Windows that I prefer, at least not that I can't replicate or improve on if I spend some time on it.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j