#81 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,761 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 07 June 2024 - 01:38 PM

I don't think it does anymore.

Any links I find lead to errors and dead ends.

I think I only ever went there a few times a decade ago.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#82 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 03:32 AM

Well, that actually would have been pretty cool to see an arcade from nerdforum. Recently, I have been playing a few retro emulators from 80s & 90s consoles on my PC. I miss playing games with Adobe Flash, but that also no longer exists.

#83 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 02:50 PM

I know there's a database out there of collected flash games, but I too miss them being around on the internet and easy to get to.

I still go back and play though a few super nintendo and ps3 games every so often.

Half of my favourite games of all time land in those eras, where graphics weren't the only sign of quality.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#84 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 07:19 PM

I know there's a database out there of collected flash games, but I too miss them being around on the internet and easy to get to.
I still go back and play though a few super nintendo and ps3 games every so often.
Half of my favourite games of all time land in those eras, where graphics weren't the only sign of quality.

I don't think I've ever owned a Super Nintendo, but my sister had one when I was very little. I had a Sega Genesis back then. Right now, I still have a PS4 and an Xbox 360 as well as a Dreamcast that I don't play anymore. I have recently been trying to catch up on the Resident Evil series, but I don't know which of those games are good or bad because most of them have mixed reviews. Which PS3 games have you been playing these days?

#85 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:45 PM

Just about every single original Resident Evil game is nigh unplayable in my opinion.

I bought some bundle a few years ago that had the first three or four and I just couldn't manage.

It's one of those things that I remember playing smoothly decades ago but my brain just can't do anymore, I may be spoiled by modern games with significantly more streamlined controls.

I never actually owned a PS3, I meant to type PS2 and big fingers did their thing.

I went from PS2 to Xbox 360 and didn't go back until I got a PS4 a few years ago, and now I'm on the market for a PS5 sometime.

I know I've played some PS3 games like a few of the Uncharted games and God of War and whatnot though.

#86 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 June 2024 - 08:05 AM

I still have some of my old consoles, like my N64 and most of my games. Shame the cart batteries arw likely dead by now, its been years since I used it. Still have my 360 as well, but haven't touched any modern consoles since the switch, been PC since the 360.

5A5DjRW.gif

#87 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 06:18 PM

I still have some of my old consoles, like my N64 and most of my games. Shame the cart batteries arw likely dead by now, its been years since I used it. Still have my 360 as well, but haven't touched any modern consoles since the switch, been PC since the 360.

I still can't bring myself to go the PC route.

Mostly because of a lack of space and funds.

Consoles always fit me a bit better anyway.

#88 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:06 PM

Yeah I can get that for sure, there's always going to be a share of the market where consoles just work out a little better for their situation, especially with mobile games and the heyday of mobile consoles (gameboy to 3ds/psp era) my latest uograde might be the last one I do for a while though, gains in pc parts performance are starting to stagnate, even with gimmicky software and niche features. Also microsoft has become an even worse deal with how bad W11 can be about bloat and baked in spyware, shame linux is often just as bad for other issues.

5A5DjRW.gif

#89 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:22 PM

Still have my 360 as well, but haven't touched any modern consoles since the switch, been PC since the 360.

I like the idea of using mods on a PC, which are not typically available on consoles. On the other hand, I still prefer using a console controller and a big screen over arching my back while using a PC with WASD controls. Also, I haven't upgraded to a different PC since 2011, so I'm still using Windows 7.

the Uncharted games and God of War

Ah. Those are two additional games I haven't played yet.

Do you think I should I try them on PS4?

When it comes to gaming, I mostly like a great soundtrack, complex character creation, driving, exciting (but not long) storylines, horror elements, large free-roam maps, managing my own buildings/weapons, realistic npcs, shooting, and swords.

There are a few games out there that have some of these, but certainly not all at the same time.

#90 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:21 AM

Yeah I can get that for sure, there's always going to be a share of the market where consoles just work out a little better for their situation, especially with mobile games and the heyday of mobile consoles (gameboy to 3ds/psp era) my latest uograde might be the last one I do for a while though, gains in pc parts performance are starting to stagnate, even with gimmicky software and niche features. Also microsoft has become an even worse deal with how bad W11 can be about bloat and baked in spyware, shame linux is often just as bad for other issues.

I bought a Switch way back and have never played it as a handheld, threw that bitch right in the dock and started playing Breath of the Wild on my TV.

The required knowledge and involvement with proper PC gaming is another factor in my shying away from it.

Keeping up with system requirements to maybe play a brand new game, buying extra bits for a million different reasons, and so on.

It kind of feels like one of those things you have to be a bit passionate about to really do it right.

Ah. Those are two additional games I haven't played yet.

Do you think I should I try them on PS4?

When it comes to gaming, I mostly like a great soundtrack, complex character creation, driving, exciting (but not long) storylines, horror elements, large free-roam maps, managing my own buildings/weapons, realistic npcs, shooting, and swords.

There are a few games out there that have some of these, but certainly not all at the same time.

God of War is a pretty good series start to finish, I think the first one was on PS2.

Uncharted were also decent games, very cinematic.

I hard lean toward God of War overall but they're both as collections worth picking up in a sale bundle situation.

If you drop driving from your list we seem to seek out very similar elements in games.

Though I am a sucker for long drawn out plotlines, I think growing up reading Stephen King and J.R.R. Tolkien has shaped my story interests.

#91 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

I like the idea of using mods on a PC, which are not typically available on consoles. On the other hand, I still prefer using a console controller and a big screen over arching my back while using a PC with WASD controls. Also, I haven't upgraded to a different PC since 2011, so I'm still using Windows 7

Yeah my current setup is on a TV with both keyboard/mouse, and controller for driving-related games like forza or rocket league, but I can lounge out on my bed, since I do not have room for a desk right now.

I bought a Switch way back and have never played it as a handheld, threw that bitch right in the dock and started playing Breath of the Wild on my TV.

The required knowledge and involvement with proper PC gaming is another factor in my shying away from it.

Keeping up with system requirements to maybe play a brand new game, buying extra bits for a million different reasons, and so on.

It kind of feels like one of those things you have to be a bit passionate about to really do it right.

Yeah you really do have to already have some interest in computers to move into the pc gaming realm. I too have a switch but didn't really have a TV when I got it, but I got bored of zelda, and don't have the social circle for other games like smash or mario kart, so it sits in a box and I keep playing with some of my boys on steam and discord.

5A5DjRW.gif

#92 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:14 PM

God of War is a pretty good series start to finish, I think the first one was on PS2.
Uncharted were also decent games, very cinematic.
I hard lean toward God of War overall but they're both as collections worth picking up in a sale bundle situation.

If you drop driving from your list we seem to seek out very similar elements in games.
Though I am a sucker for long drawn out plotlines, I think growing up reading Stephen King and J.R.R. Tolkien has shaped my story interests.

Cool. I might look for a bundle with all three. Remastered games on PS4 are generally better, but Grand Theft Auto is an exception. It's funny to me that you enjoy playing games with guns and a great soundtrack, but you aren't into driving. I usually avoid racing games, but I used to love cruising around in Driver, GTA, and Saints Row, listening to vintage music while hunting for gang members.

For a good story, I like Bethesda games like the Fallout series and Skyrim because I had the freedom to shape my own story. What I don't like are games that take too long for the intro to finish before I can do anything such as Red Dead Redemption 2 or Suikoden 5. Those would be fantastic if I didn't have to wait forever to play them.

#93 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Yeah my current setup is on a TV with both keyboard/mouse, and controller for driving-related games like forza or rocket league, but I can lounge out on my bed, since I do not have room for a desk right now.

I have just been using my dresser as a laptop desk for all these years since 2014.

#94 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,761 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Cool. I might look for a bundle with all three. Remastered games on PS4 are generally better, but Grand Theft Auto is an exception. It's funny to me that you enjoy playing games with guns and a great soundtrack, but you aren't into driving. I usually avoid racing games, but I used to love cruising around in Driver, GTA, and Saints Row, listening to vintage music while hunting for gang members.

For a good story, I like Bethesda games like the Fallout series and Skyrim because I had the freedom to shape my own story. What I don't like are games that take too long for the intro to finish before I can do anything such as Red Dead Redemption 2 or Suikoden 5. Those would be fantastic if I didn't have to wait forever to play them.

I've never been a car guy and that translates to video games.

I like driving enough in games it just isn't something I seek out, unless its sci-fi related or something other than cars.

As far as long plot goes I can hang in there quite a while to get to the good stuff.

Depends on how well everything else in the game is put together really.

I don't know if you've ever played the Mass Effect series but the first game takes forever and fucking day to get through enough main story to even unlock the good weaponry, but afterward everything is so goddamn good.

#95 Konta

Konta

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

I've never been a car guy and that translates to video games.
I like driving enough in games it just isn't something I seek out, unless its sci-fi related or something other than cars.

You seem to love games with fantasy and magic, right? I used to be all about realistic games to relate to the characters, but then I played Skyrim. That game changed everything for me. After that, I became hooked on characters with superhuman abilities, as long as everyone else in the game had them too. I get it if you find driving in games boring when they don't have a fast travel system, though.

As far as long plot goes I can hang in there quite a while to get to the good stuff.
Depends on how well everything else in the game is put together really.
I don't know if you've ever played the Mass Effect series but the first game takes forever and f***ing day to get through enough main story to even unlock the good weaponry, but afterward everything is so ******* good.

Huh. I never played the first two Mass Effect games, just the third one and part of Andromeda. Intense storylines are great, but I'm a 30 year old who reads at about a 3rd grade level. I'm fine with spelling and vocabulary, but long novels feel overwhelming and time-consuming compared to movies and video games. That makes me wonder about what you said earlier. How can you compare stories in books to video games?