8 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

http://www.theguardi...canada-identity

One could hear Canada's collective identity cracking this week when news broke that researchers had solid evidence that ice hockey, the country's national sport and favourite pastime, was in fact not made in Canada.

:D

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Bloodangel

Bloodangel

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

To me (a Canadian), it really does not matter where the sport was created or played first. I mean basketball was created in Canada and it is more associated with the U.S. and other countries. This is not going to crack the Canadian collective identity by any means.

How I Feel When People I Hate Have A Miserable Day

5pZjHAx.gif      200.gif

#3 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Canada has only been an actual country for something like a hundred and fifty years, and had been dependant on England well after that for sustenance.

A vast majority of our qualities are derived directly from there, and we are quite alright with that.

Hockey may not have originated here, but there is no doubt in the world's mind that we are among the top hockey countries in the world.

We didn't invent snow either, but when the winter Olympics roll around I am sure there are people who would swear we had.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

I invented snow. :I

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#5 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

I invented snow. :I

All of Canada thanks you for your contribution to our global dominance.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

What does it take to rile up a Canadian? 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 Bloodangel

Bloodangel

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Continuing the theme of this thread, their favourite hockey losing a lot. An example is how fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs fans were so angry and pissed off this season after their team basically lost like 10 straight games, they insulted and made death threats to one of the goalie's wife on Twitter.

How I Feel When People I Hate Have A Miserable Day

5pZjHAx.gif      200.gif

#8 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Canada has only been an actual country for something like a hundred and fifty years, and had been dependant on England well after that for sustenance.

A vast majority of our qualities are derived directly from there, and we are quite alright with that.

Hockey may not have originated here, but there is no doubt in the world's mind that we are among the top hockey countries in the world.

We didn't invent snow either, but when the winter Olympics roll around I am sure there are people who would swear we had.

On the other hand, Our mounties can adapt to any mount. Sand, Snow, pavement. You name it, we'll find something to ride on it.

Mountie-4ef825c2b63b9.jpg

PH5qWod.jpg

24963.jpg?v=1

rcmpmxt-10.jpg

Couldn't find the photo of the mountie riding a moose I was thinking of, but I'm sure Affray and Sushi have seen it.

Oh, and this totally happens.

mounties_at_tims.jpg

It also happens in our small town when we do our Canada Day parades. Sometimes we would have real RCMP in our parades, other years we had OPP with horse training in the parade instead.

Continuing the theme of this thread, their favourite hockey losing a lot. An example is how fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs fans were so angry and pissed off this season after their team basically lost like 10 straight games, they insulted and made death threats to one of the goalie's wife on Twitter.

Yeah... about that, we're just really passionate about hockey. We have rioted over it. We've rioted when our teams lost, we rioted when our teams won.

Unfortunately, we're pretty passive so a government can pretty much destroy the country and we won't do anything as long as they don't try to fuck with our hockey.

5A5DjRW.gif

#9 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

If we lose a hockey game.

If we win a hockey game.

If someone mentions a hockey game.

Saying anything ignorant about anything we have pride in is a sure fire way to get a hockey stick to the neck.

On the other hand, Our mounties can adapt to any mount. Sand, Snow, pavement. You name it, we'll find something to ride on it.

Mountie-4ef825c2b63b9.jpg

PH5qWod.jpg

24963.jpg?v=1

rcmpmxt-10.jpg

Couldn't find the photo of the mountie riding a moose I was thinking of, but I'm sure Affray and Sushi have seen it.

Oh, and this totally happens.

mounties_at_tims.jpg

It also happens in our small town when we do our Canada Day parades. Sometimes we would have real RCMP in our parades, other years we had OPP with horse training in the parade instead.

I have indeed seen pictures of moose mounted mounties.

They would be a formidable foe for sure.

Where I live there are horse mounted O.P.P. officers that ride the trails periodically in search of damage to said trails or grow ops in the bush somewhere.