• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdgirl11

Nerdgirl11

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Why do you think their are more male nerds vs. female nerds?

#2 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

I would say there's a very even number of both. I know a ton of female nerds. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#3 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Yeah pretty sure it's a roughly even number.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#4 Nerdgirl11

Nerdgirl11

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Where because most of the nerds I've met male?Because I don't include geeks as the same things as nerds. 

#5 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Well I guess while you're busy distinguishing and categorising two in-the-same groups of people there are millions scurrying around under your nose.  :P

#6 Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yeah I don't think it's as uneven as everyone thinks it is. Nerdiness can include so many things nowadays that it's hard to say who is and isn't, so anyone could really be a nerd!

That being said, I still dislike comments pointing out the fact that females can LIKE THE SAME THINGS AS MALES OMG who knew (I get that a lot at work).

#7 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

If it makes you feel better NG11 I can dress up as a girl?

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

I would have to agree that the numbers are pretty even these days.

Especially since it all became rather acceptable to be a nerd and whatnot.

It is also quite difficult to distinguish between geeks and nerds since everyone has their own definition of either.

It all sort of falls in to one big category.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#9 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

That's the thing that surprises me the most. On the nerdcore forum that I use 2 frequent there was only one girl by the name of Shubzilla

The rest we're all angry nerds who diss each other with their terrible raps. 

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#10 Nerdgirl11

Nerdgirl11

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Geeks are just into fandom ,and nerd are intelligent and introverts that sometimes into fandom but not always.

#11 Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

I would disagree entirely with that statement.

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

Geeks are just into fandom ,and nerd are intelligent and introverts that sometimes into fandom but not always.

The way I splice it up is thus:

A nerd is an intellectual who leans toward the ways of physics, chemistry, comic books, forward learning, cartoons, reading, etc.

A geek is an intellectual who leans toward the ways of physics, chemistry, comic books, forward learning, cartoons, reading, etc.

Then picks one of their chosen topics of interest and masters it through dedication and a large amount of free time regardless of how useful that thing may be in real world scenarios.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#13 Bloodangel

Bloodangel

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

In some places there will be more male geeks/nerds than females as well as the fact that females still are sexualized and not thought of as real 'geeks/nerds' despite the fact it is the 21st century. And the terms geek and nerd can mean the same thing but as most people will point out, there will be some differences between the terms.

How I Feel When People I Hate Have A Miserable Day

5pZjHAx.gif      200.gif

#14 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

What kind of survey did you conduct to get to this conclusion? You can't just see someone in a room and decide they are or aren't nerds.

A lot of people dismiss a lot of female nerds because, "They are to pretty to be real nerds they are faking!" So if you take that angle of course it will come out lopsided. So you have to make sure not to disregard women as nerds because of their looks. (This applies to men as well of course but it isn't as much of an issue on that side)

If you are talking about academic nerdism I've found that different fields have different ratios that probably balance out. For example, when I was in the chemistry department the classes were overwhelmingly female dominated, meanwhile now that I am in the computer science department it is overwhelmingly male.

#15 Nerdgirl11

Nerdgirl11

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

To me looks have nothing to do with whether,or not you're a nerd.At the school i'll be attending most of the majors in the STEM fields are majority males except maybe for biology.

#16 cassXgoesXmeow

cassXgoesXmeow

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

I think there is a pretty even number of guy/girl nerds. I don't really see a huge difference in the sexes at least not where I live. I think that could have something to do with it is where you live.

I'm a Liger.... Want to see my Liger impersonation?

#17 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

To me looks have nothing to do with whether,or not you're a nerd.At the school i'll be attending most of the majors in the STEM fields are majority males except maybe for biology.

That doesn't mean anything though, just because there's more males in one area of IT/nerdy stuff doesn't mean that the majority of the nerd population are males.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#18 Nerdgirl11

Nerdgirl11

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

The computer field is more than IT.I'm majoring computer science and engineering.

#19 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Well that's still only two areas, and if you think about it those are only two smaller areas of nerdom. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

More over that's two areas in the minute little bite of the world you live in. It's incredibly blinkered to take a microcosm of society and apply it on an international scale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nerd, Female nerd