149 replies to this topic

#41 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

XD I'm sorry I hope that didn't sound like I'm trivialising your phobia but I just have this mental image of you being like, AAAH a water tower! AAAH a pylon!
Much as in the same way I'm sure people have the image in their heads of me turning tail and running from a...shit, you know what I'm talking about...like I'm being chased like a lion.

Actually, being that we have similar things, I rather imagine you twitching nervously, looking about self-consciously, and getting it over with as soon as bloody possible should the offending items be necessary. And objects in the vast distance don't bother me, but if I were standing beneath a large water tower... I don't know, I might be affected.

(I actually had to Google "pylon". And now I know what they're called!) Okay, pylons are not my friends. I don't like them at all. They're fucking huge, they're fucking monster-shaped, and they're fucking huge. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to deal with those much, either.

That's so sweet in a way though. X3

We are. We're adorable. We actually had a grocery store associate (with whom we have a small but good rapport) tell us he loved our dynamic. I find us incredibly amusing from a 3rd-person viewpoint because we must look irresistible; we've been mistaken for twins once and siblings frequently.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#42 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

I am constantly being told to stop shaking whatever I am near.

I weigh in at about 210 Lbs, so I get some serious motion going without even noticing.

I don't think either of my parents nor my sisters have any sort of OCD type stuff like I do.

Though they could just be excellent at hiding it like I am.

I'm pretty used to being told to stop shaking stuff as well, I usually find it funny because I don't notice when I'm doing it and I don't really have much control of it.

5A5DjRW.gif

#43 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm pretty used to being told to stop shaking stuff as well, I usually find it funny because I don't notice when I'm doing it and I don't really have much control of it.

It is definitely an involuntary thing.

I can actually consciously look at my leg bouncing and tell it to stop, but the muscles won't do what my brain says.

I have to move my entire body to upset the bounce.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#44 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

It is definitely an involuntary thing.

I can actually consciously look at my leg bouncing and tell it to stop, but the muscles won't do what my brain says.

I have to move my entire body to upset the bounce.

Yup that's spot on.

If I don't move my legs for too long they start feeling irritated, it's hard to describe the feeling but I HAVE to move them to alleviate that feeling.

5A5DjRW.gif

#45 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Awkward Confessions

Serious

Lp5M62Z.gif

#46 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

I have a fear of monotone sounds increasing in volume like getting closer to a phone left off the hook or something.

I also hate people looking at me for too long. I wouldn't say it's a fear or phobia just that it makes me so uncomfortable because I feel that people are noticing and judging everything wrong with me, my face in particular.

#47 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

o_o

O_O

O_O

O_O

O_O

Also totally forgot I hate hate hate talking to people on the phone. I've been psyching myself up for about a month or so now to make one phone call so I can see about changing the date of my flight. It's so bad that I honestly considered spending about £500 on a new flight ticket so I don't have to use the phone.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#48 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

A depression thread, a rant thread, a confession thread, this forum is becoming equal parts nerd and psychological speechifying. Whatever...

But while I'm here, I can't look mirrors. I can't. If I do, I start to have an existential crisis. It's even more than an existential crisis. I start questioning reality and what it even is. It's like I'm trying to leave reality in the same way that you leave a video game. I'm trying to go back to something that isn't there. Going along with the whole video game idea, while it happens, I also feel like a player controlling myself, kinda like I'm two different people. Another interesting part is that it only happens with mirrors, not pictures or webcam feed. It's extremely strange and makes life seem like something that isn't even there. I don't know what this means or what it is, but if this is a regular psychological problem that is extremely common that I haven't heard of because IDKIDC, let me know.

#49 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

A depression thread, a rant thread, a confession thread, this forum is becoming equal parts nerd and psychological speechifying. Whatever...

But while I'm here, I can't look mirrors. I can't. If I do, I start to have an existential crisis. It's even more than an existential crisis. I start questioning reality and what it even is. It's like I'm trying to leave reality in the same way that you leave a video game. I'm trying to go back to something that isn't there. Going along with the whole video game idea, while it happens, I also feel like a player controlling myself, kinda like I'm two different people. Another interesting part is that it only happens with mirrors, not pictures or webcam feed. It's extremely strange and makes life seem like something that isn't even there. I don't know what this means or what it is, but if this is a regular psychological problem that is extremely common that I haven't heard of because IDKIDC, let me know.

Sometimes I look in a mirror and wonder if it might be an entire mirror world in there somewhere, like a parallel universe.

And my reflection is just the parallel universe me doing the same thing I am.

Also, what if when I push on a mirror the only reason I don't go through it is because my reflection self is pushing back in the same places.

I think your deal with mirrors is probably just your human brain trying to assign intense meaning to something that is nothing more than refracting light.

Everyone is allowed to have the odd existential crisis from time to time.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#50 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

When I think about black holes I get a similar feeling. Neil deGrasse Tyson mentioned in Cosmos that a black hole could be the entrance to another universe, which means that every black hole in our universe leads to separate universes, and there's a black hole in another universe that leads to our universe. And then you think about the sheer amount of universes out there, do they have the same physics as ours? Are there parallel universes to our own? And what started the first black hole, or the first universe even, if this theory is true?

It leaves me feeling very small and insignificant, these are the things that keep me up at night. 

#51 Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

I have a fear of gravity.

I wish I was joking, but I legit have panic attacks thinking about it (or the lack of it).

#52 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

I think your deal with mirrors is probably just your human brain trying to assign intense meaning to something that is nothing more than refracting light.

But that's the thing, it doesn't only happen with mirrors. It can happen anytime I'm alone or not distracted, but the mirror is the sure way to make it happen. If it's not the mirror, it very rarely happens.

#53 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

But that's the thing, it doesn't only happen with mirrors. It can happen anytime I'm alone or not distracted, but the mirror is the sure way to make it happen. If it's not the mirror, it very rarely happens.

I too sometimes find myself pondering the ins and outs of everything that has ever been and ever will be.

Sometimes the mind plays tricks on itself. We are after all just meat computers frolicking around our daily bullshit.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, just try not to lose yourself too far in to the endless void that is the human mind.

Any time I start getting really, really deep in to shit like thinking about what the very first creature to become sentient on Earth thought, or how I wish I was capable or knowing everything that is possible to know, like exactly how many atoms there are in every blade of grass in existence at any given time, what I do is elastic snap my brain back to the here and now. Just toss up all the pointlessly in depth thinking about stuff that doesn't matter as a frivolous affair and go about my mundane shit for a while. So perhaps you could try to train yourself to have a mental switch that you can implement when shit gets a little too freaky.

#54 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

I too sometimes find myself pondering the ins and outs of everything that has ever been and ever will be.

Sometimes the mind plays tricks on itself. We are after all just meat computers frolicking around our daily bullshit.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, just try not to lose yourself too far in to the endless void that is the human mind.

Any time I start getting really, really deep in to shit like thinking about what the very first creature to become sentient on Earth thought, or how I wish I was capable or knowing everything that is possible to know, like exactly how many atoms there are in every blade of grass in existence at any given time, what I do is elastic snap my brain back to the here and now. Just toss up all the pointlessly in depth thinking about stuff that doesn't matter as a frivolous affair and go about my mundane shit for a while. So perhaps you could try to train yourself to have a mental switch that you can implement when shit gets a little too freaky.

I can snap myself out of it pretty easily, actually. I just have to force myself to realize that it's just a feeling and that what I'm feeling doesn't mean anything. It's just that I don't want to have that happen every time I brush my teeth.

#55 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Yeah I imagine it would be pretty taxing having to deal with it over and over again.

#56 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

I think my generation is screwed by the economic realities currently facing us and in the future. The promises made to the Baby Boomers will eventually bankrupt our entire economy unless something drastic is done in the next few years. I fear that most of the politicians currently in office don't have the courage to make this change and would rather shit on any politician who proposes a rational reform.

Not to mention the crazy regulation that hampers growth. And the spigot of regulations, fees, and taxes will never be corked. The flow will only get stronger.

Anybody under 40 is being given a shit sandwich by those that came before. And they expect us to be grateful?

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#57 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:58 PM

I think my generation is screwed by the economic realities currently facing us and in the future. The promises made to the Baby Boomers will eventually bankrupt our entire economy unless something drastic is done in the next few years. I fear that most of the politicians currently in office don't have the courage to make this change and would rather shit on any politician who proposes a rational reform.

Not to mention the crazy regulation that hampers growth. And the spigot of regulations, fees, and taxes will never be corked. The flow will only get stronger.

Anybody under 40 is being given a shit sandwich by those that came before. And they expect us to be grateful?

it really is the ultimate score. They didn't just rob their children, they robbed their childrens children while they had their hand in the cookie jar.

Meanwhile they tell our parents that we're just lazy and not trying hard enough, meanwhile many of the people in our parents still haven't gotten over the 80's and 90's and don't realize how bad things really are.

5A5DjRW.gif

#58 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

Here's a weird confession.

I've never played any of the Legend of Zelda or Mario games..... EVER....  well I have played Mario Kart wii a few times. 

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#59 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

Here's a weird confession.

I've never played any of the Legend of Zelda or Mario games..... EVER....  well I have played Mario Kart wii a few times. 

w... what? That's like hearing someone has never had candy or watched Star Wars.

#60 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

w... what? That's like hearing someone has never had candy or watched Star Wars.

Another confession. The Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars I ever saw and it remains my favorite.

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???