149 replies to this topic

#21 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

As a kid I used to think I could grow up to be a woman if I wanted to. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#22 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I wrote a love letter to my dentist when I was five. My parents showed it to me last year. I had an awful, mean dentist up until I was five, so when I got a new one I adored him so much I wrote him a letter.

I bet I could make a very nice coat out of you.

No matter the machine, it was still dreamed up and built by some human somewhere.

Humans are seriously prone to flaws and failure, so logically their contraptions are burdened with the same potential for failure.

There is nothing wrong with fearing that which should rightly be feared.

I, without a doubt, have some form of obsessive compulsive disorder, but am afraid to let anyone know or go and get officially diagnosed because I don't want that to be what people think about or see when I am around. When I talk to people I am critically aware of ticks and quirks that they have because I am critically aware of my own, and if people knew something about what I have going on in my head I am certain they would be far more aware of my ticks and I do not want that. So, I invest a great deal of energy in to hiding any hints that there may be something off, and I am fairly certain that half of my personality exists as a defense against people seeing these things. If I have you laughing you won't think twice about, or ever notice, that I am tapping my fingers together in precisely even sets of taps, or that keep glancing at the table top I touched a minute ago and am now putting half of my mental efforts in to resisting the need to touch it a second time with the opposite hand.

I don't feel too much worry about letting all of you know this about me because our interactions aren't live and in person, and many of you have your own oddities, some of which I already know about, that make you less likely to think me strange for my own.

Oh wow Affray. That is certainly intense. 

#23 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

...or that keep glancing at the table top I touched a minute ago and am now putting half of my mental efforts in to resisting the need to touch it a second time with the opposite hand.

My boyfriend does that. Utterly normal to me.

As a kid I used to think I could grow up to be a woman if I wanted to.

Part of my transgender growingupness was the full, honest assumption that I would one day have a male body. And I can totally see where little-kid-you is coming from; they do say you can be anything.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#24 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm vey fidgety and constantly moving my body/hands. I suspect I have Restless Legs Syndrome because I (like fibro) match a good 90% of the symptoms.

5A5DjRW.gif

#25 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Oh wow Affray. That is certainly intense. 

Maybe a bit more intense than what other have posted, but pretty mild as far as conditions go I think.

My boyfriend does that. Utterly normal to me.

I think a lot of people have some sort of weird mental tick thing that they do, so it is only logical that there are others that have the same deal that I have.

Did he tell you about his stuff, or did you just notice that he would do it?

I'm vey fidgety and constantly moving my body/hands. I suspect I have Restless Legs Syndrome because I (like fibro) match a good 90% of the symptoms.

I too have some seriously active legs.

I often catch them bouncing under my chair without my even knowing.

Though I don't mind.

The nearly constant activity has given me some seriously toned calves.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#26 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

My little brother has serious OCD, so I'm completely used to it. Honestly stuff like OCD is becoming way to common. People, at some point, are just going to have to get used to things such as these and other such disorders. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#27 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Okay here's a serious one, can't remember I've actually shared it before or not so no pics please, google it because I'm sure most people won't know what it is without looking it up but rest assured I have a hard time even typing the word of the objects this relates to.

I have koumpounophobia.

It's awkward in the sense that it effects how I do pretty much everything the moment I put anything other than a t-shirt on.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#28 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Affray- I knew from pretty much day one about his peculiarities and tics. We were incredibly honest from the start. Like, sharing the bathroom from the first week. The first week of our relationship was also the second week of our acquaintance. We moved in together on the third week.

#29 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I have koumpounophobia.

I have never heard of that. Pretty interesting. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#30 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Gol, that is fascinating, and I can only imagine, awkward as hell should it be discussed in person.

Is there a fear of overly large objects? 'Cause that freaks me out in a big way (no pun intended; it's honestly terrifying).

#31 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Megalophobia- Fear of large things. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#32 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

e: Sethre you speedy shit ;)

I wouldn't call it fascinating, I would call it detrimental to my existence though. Imagine getting dressed for work every single day but instead of wearing those on your shirt, you had to wear spiders every day from 8-6 or however long you were wearing your shirt and trousers.

The worst thing is I don't want to cure it because the idea of me...touching them without thinking about it drives me around the bend.

There's megalphobia, in regards to your question, but I think it's more of a run and hide fear? I'm sure all phobias are on varying degrees of strength though.

#33 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

It's managable if I try really hard not to think about it, but if I'm surprised, it's ...damaging.

I was driving around one day, and behind all these houses was a HUGE FUCKING LOOMING warehouse or something, and I mean it was fucking massive. You could probably have measured the length of one wall in a neat fraction of a mile. Scared the fucking hell out of me.

The first time I ever discovered I had it was in fourth grade when we went to a museam that had the state's largest American flag. We stood under it and I had to use all my concentration to not burst into terrified tears.

#34 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Wow that's really rough dude. That must absolutely suck! :/

#35 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

It doesn't get activated very frequently, but when it's a surprise, it's a bad surprise.

Still think you win, though, Aiden. <3

#36 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Eh, I've lived with it for as long as I remember, there are ways I can tolerate it now. Part of that means telling no fucking person I can't trust, only two people out side of my family I've met in real life actually know about it. I would say yours has gotta be just as bad, I mean like, what do you do in cities with sky scrapers, if you don't mind me asking?

#37 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

I tend to not be around them much, being in Rural McRuralsville, but the OHMYGOD HUGE ones, I just don't look up. Ever. I've been to NYC once, and there was so much going on on the ground floor that I could avoid looking up, and indeed had to for personal safety. Don't wanna be falling down a manhole...

When I was in France, I avoided the sections of town that had unreasonably tall apartment buildings.

Where I live, things don't really get tall enough.

#38 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

That's so sweet in a way though. X3

I'm sorry I hope that didn't sound like I'm trivialising your phobia but I just have this mental image of you being like, AAAH a water tower! AAAH a pylon!

Much as in the same way I'm sure people have the image in their heads of me turning tail and running from a...shit, you know what I'm talking about...like I'm being chased like a lion. XD

#39 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

I too have some seriously active legs.

I often catch them bouncing under my chair without my even knowing.

Though I don't mind.

The nearly constant activity has given me some seriously toned calves.

Yes mine do that all the time. I tend to drive people mad by shaking the table with a bouncing leg.

My dad has some minor OCD tendencies, which is interesting.

5A5DjRW.gif

#40 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Yes mine do that all the time. I tend to drive people mad by shaking the table with a bouncing leg.

My dad has some minor OCD tendencies, which is interesting.

I am constantly being told to stop shaking whatever I am near.

I weigh in at about 210 Lbs, so I get some serious motion going without even noticing.

I don't think either of my parents nor my sisters have any sort of OCD type stuff like I do.

Though they could just be excellent at hiding it like I am.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.