55 replies to this topic

#41 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

Saying that you find it disturbing that anyone trusts non-atheists is the part that comes off as arrogant.

That line of thinking is exactly the same as the ignorant religious types that condemn atheists for simply being not like them.

I understand the baffling confusion that comes with trying to understand how people can believe certain magic man in the sky theologies.

But you have to take a step back and realise that not every theist is a zealot.

People are just people.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#42 Reflex F.N.

Reflex F.N.

Byte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

I see the error in what I said, now.
Thank you for informing me. :)

I believe that the I shouldn't have said "anyone but us", I should have only said "us".
I apologize.

So I correct my sentence to:
I find it disturbing that many people are unwilling to trust us.

I apologize for all of the trouble I caused. :)

I especially apologize to Undine for the rude manner that I behaved towards her, and I was wrong.

#43 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

That effectively resolves it. The only issue I had was with the implication that only atheists are trustworthy, which is wildly incorrect. But similarly the question could be reversed, as to why should people trust atheism over religion. In the end it boils down to personal belief, and I don't think that's something to be mocked. There might be a god, there might not be. Until we die, we won't know either way. Atheists can be dicks, Christians can be dicks, Muslims can be dicks, Sikhs can be dikhs (hah), it's not something mutually exclusive to one belief system.

No need to apologise, I just like to bite newcomers. ;D

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#44 Bestmand902

Bestmand902

Megabyte

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationThere, Inside your mind...

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

That effectively resolves it. The only issue I had was with the implication that only atheists are trustworthy, which is wildly incorrect. But similarly the question could be reversed, as to why should people trust atheism over religion. In the end it boils down to personal belief, and I don't think that's something to be mocked. There might be a god, there might not be. Until we die, we won't know either way. Atheists can be dicks, Christians can be dicks, Muslims can be dicks, Sikhs can be dikhs (hah), it's not something mutually exclusive to one belief system.

Pretty much sums up how I feel

2pphi03.gif

#45 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

With that being said, many religions have being a dick written into their doctrines...so there's that.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#46 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Wow, thanks for resurrecting my thread.

Also, hooray for peaceful resolution!

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#47 EmeraldPhysics

EmeraldPhysics

Byte

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBritain

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

So im a Christian and by the chats I've seen from most people on the topic will be disgusted by my view on religion but if your going to criticise me read my opinions first.

-I support same-sex marriage

-I believe its okay for everyone to have different views and beliefs

I hate other Christians who will hate any Gay man or women for who they are. im not mad with religion, I was just brought up as a Christian. I wouldn't shame anybody for being atheist, Muslim,Jewish, ect. and I don't make assumptions on they religion a person is. for example I know not all Muslim's are a part of ISIS and just because im in the same religion as a crazy woman on the internet saying gay marriage is hell. doesn't mean I believe what she is saying. we all bend our opinions of religion okay. I believe the bible saying same sex marriage isn't natural  is wrong, sure, I believe in God but just that, what's wrong in that?

okay, I must confess im not a great Christian, but  hope my sins will be forgiven, i hope none of you attack me. im not a preacher, im not coming onto this website to say "YOU ALL MUST CONVERT" I believe onl really bad people would go to hell. like Hitler, Isis. people like that. I dong judge people on their religion. i judge hem on personality

#48 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:59 AM

I wouldn't expect any attacks based on your pretty level headed point of view.

Bigotry is owned by no one group, but by individuals who tend to use their beliefs as a shield that they hide behind and jab at whatever is in front of them.

We don't have to share your specific beliefs to agree with how you treat other people.

I think you're doing fine.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#49 ​​​

​​​

Byte

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

#50 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:53 AM

It is very tempting to engage, but no.

Why not?

#51 ​​​

​​​

Byte

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

#52 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

I'm uncertain that a misplaced period and a meme are a valid counter-argument.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#53 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:48 AM

Ohhhhhh, I remember you now.

You are that guy who had the freaky deeky scripture quotes every time, and they never seemed to quite like up with what was actually going on in a thread.

And now you seem to have gone back and deleted the content from all of your past posts, even the one I quoted you on in this thread.

So tell me chum, what sort of enlightenment are you hiding from us?

#54 ​​​

​​​

Byte

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

#55 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Maybe it's a bot.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#56 JannetteBaro

JannetteBaro

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

So here we are, the shape of things to come is "asshole without any limitations as to generality". But finding an analytical expression might be tricky.

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST program for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!
Only TODAY: -30% DISCOUNT for XRumer!