5 replies to this topic

#1 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

I've been away from the forum, but keeping busy.

I left my job that I worked for 8 years and 7 months.  8 years as SAIC, and the last 7 months as the new name, "leidos".  Needless to say, since the global company split things have gone downhill for the remote site I work in Virginia. 

So the new job is in my local town, small biz with 50 people.  Which is nice because I get to see more of the profit from customers, instead of some massive overhead entity scraping 20%-80% of the rates for a CEOs Pizza Party in San Diego.

Also new, buying a house.  Just passed the "Loan Approved" box yesterday.  Now I get to complain to my friends about how "tough" the process was and give them all kinds of advice they didn't ask for.  Since apparently, that's what people do. 

buy-process.gif

Personally, I love a good flow chart.

#2 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Fuck yeah, flowcharts! On an unrelated note, what are some good computer/network related books or pdfs/e-books you would reccomend for someone looking to learn more things?

5A5DjRW.gif

#3 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

getting a CompTIA Network Plus book helped me to learn about OSI model, and many different protocols and common ports. Most of which i learned through experience, but was nice to have a book verify that i thought i knew.

I think Network+ is probably the most complete course covering networking for someone starting out fresh. I never actually took Network+ exam, but got a course book to make sure i understood it so i would be adequately prepared for security+ which I certified in 2011.

Books are good to reference and get an idea, but there is no substitue for hands on experience. the best thing i did 10 years ago was getting a job at the local college helpdesk, and then learned as much as i could from the network administrator for the school. you can teach yourself a lot, but its better to have several systems and network hardware to work on.

also, there are a lot of technical jobs you can find in the military.

#4 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Back last summer I found a set of software for taking/making example certificate exams called Visual CertExam.

I did a few example quizzes for the 2012 Microsoft A+ exam and passed with a mark in the high 90's on all of them, I could likely get my A+ pretty easily when I have the funds to pay for the exam and cert.

I also know someone who is a network security consultant, I haven't asked him in a while but he may have some interesting hardware I can check out. He was my main resource for networking/PC related E-books and I've been reading through them somewhat, may move them over to my Android phone and do some serious reading though.

5A5DjRW.gif

#5 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Back last summer I found a set of software for taking/making example certificate exams called Visual CertExam.

I did a few example quizzes for the 2012 Microsoft A+ exam and passed with a mark in the high 90's on all of them, I could likely get my A+ pretty easily when I have the funds to pay for the exam and cert.

I also know someone who is a network security consultant, I haven't asked him in a while but he may have some interesting hardware I can check out. He was my main resource for networking/PC related E-books and I've been reading through them somewhat, may move them over to my Android phone and do some serious reading though.

if you're scoring in the 90s, it sounds like you easily understand the questions and what the proper solution is. i don't think you'll have much problem passing exams you study for. reading is the only way to stay current once youre working full time and is the best way to stay current if your not active with forums and training courses.

definitely take a look at the system layout through the guy you know (if you can). the quicker you start getting focused on a field, the sooner you'll be able to find a niche you love that you can specialize in. Time is money, and you can't gain experience until you start rolling up the sleeves and just getting to work.

#6 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

I wondered what you were up to. Très important things, apparently! Congratulations; those are two very big deals and they sound like very positive movements.

I'm really happy for you!

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif