20 replies to this topic

#1 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hey, I've been writing and creating characters and universes since as far back as I can remember.

Since last year, I've been working on an introductory story to get my name out there and set the stage for the creation of my written universe (which is actually not just one, but that's another topic for another day.)  I decided the best method for this is a graphic novel.

While I can write brilliant stories, creative characters, and well laid out and executed combat set pieces, I cannot draw very well.

I need an artist for a planned Kickstarter project.

Anybody in the Nerd Art community really good at graphic novel-style illustration?

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#2 Caelwyn

Caelwyn

Byte

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'm sorry no one has replied to your post my friend. I, sadly, am of no help to you, just wanted to send good vibes your way. ~~

tumblr_myyiczUjgV1s4nkmdo1_4001.gif

#3 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Is anyone here a professional artist?

Krys is the only person I can think of, but I think he is in 3D modeling.

#4 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

I can draw stick men!

No one wants stick men graphic novels though...

#5 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Is anyone here a professional artist?

Krys is the only person I can think of, but I think he is in 3D modeling.

Well if thats true I'm expecting a lot of 3D penises from him.

#6 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

I can draw stick men!

No one wants stick men graphic novels though...

Unless it's XKCD.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#7 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

Anyone know where exactly I could go to find one? I've gone through my known associates in meat space. Thought this forum could lead me to one.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#8 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Proposition people on DevArt whose work you like?

#9 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

The problem with only bringing ideas to the table is unless this person really likes what you want to do, you basically are going to need to hire an artist. It'll be hard to get someone to draw that much for free. Making good art is a lot of work and very few people will do it for free, since they're doing most of the work. It's the same way people are like "I have a great idea for a game! Any coders want to help me?" 

So yeah I think like Sympa said, go around and ask some web artists you admire if they want to collaborate. 

Unless it's XKCD.

Possible job in the making here. I can be a stickman superstar! ... My stickmen are nowhere their the quality of theirs though. 

#10 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

It's not free, per se. The artist wouldn't be doing it for free. He/she would make a character design for some people and a cover for the Kickstarter screen cap. The proceeds of such a project would be split 50/50, as this is the most mutual arrangement possible.

#11 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Well if thats true I'm expecting a lot of 3D penises from him.

LOL That would be awesome. I would love to go to an exhibition of 'willies' 

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#12 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Yeh, BWS, you kinda have to be already published for a good artist to collaborate with you. Any artist that is already making money on their own initiative is...well...making money on their own initiative.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#13 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

It's not free, per se. The artist wouldn't be doing it for free. He/she would make a character design for some people and a cover for the Kickstarter screen cap. The proceeds of such a project would be split 50/50, as this is the most mutual arrangement possible.

Your probably only going to find a friend to do it for you. Because at the moment you are basically asking an artist to work for free unless the project is successful. If you are hiring an artist they will expect to be paid for the starting design and Kickstarter Cover.

Honestly though, unless you have a degree in creative writing or previous works most professional artists aren't going to trust a stranger to write a worthwhile story.

You could try combing the local universities for a student who wants to get a first project for their portfolio, but of course if you do that you have no guarantee that they will actually go through with the workload since they have no professional resume yet.

EDIT: Just got an idea. Why not make a cheapo webcomic version of the graphic novel and if it gets enough of a following start a Kickstarter to get its art upgraded. That is a really popular trend on Kickstarter right now.

#14 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

^ That is actually some badass advice. Go, Scarecrow.

#15 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

Your probably only going to find a friend to do it for you. Because at the moment you are basically asking an artist to work for free unless the project is successful. If you are hiring an artist they will expect to be paid for the starting design and Kickstarter Cover.

Honestly though, unless you have a degree in creative writing or previous works most professional artists aren't going to trust a stranger to write a worthwhile story.

You could try combing the local universities for a student who wants to get a first project for their portfolio, but of course if you do that you have no guarantee that they will actually go through with the workload since they have no professional resume yet.

EDIT: Just got an idea. Why not make a cheapo webcomic version of the graphic novel and if it gets enough of a following start a Kickstarter to get its art upgraded. That is a really popular trend on Kickstarter right now.

I really suck at drawing faces. I cannot for the life of me do it well. I want it to be awesome.

I realize few artists would be willing to do it, but that's life.

If what you're saying is the case, than Kickstarter is for the already successful not the "hoping to be" people.

#16 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

If what you're saying is the case, than Kickstarter is for the already successful not the "hoping to be" people.

Yes exactly.

Think about successful kickstarters. They either had a very cool prototype for some sort of gadget or had a massive following already, maybe both. Would you fund a guy you don't know that says he's great at something but has nothing to prove it? Its like a job interview, you have to pitch yourself. Why should these people give you their hard earned money? You need a reason to give people so they know you'll deliver if they chip in, and I'll tell you "I'm good at writing stories" won't work because that's objective and anyone can claim that without proof. Trying to sell a story is the hardest, because until you got it down for others to see, you have no idea if it'll be a hit with people or not, all you're selling is an idea. That's why most authors starting out need a back-up job. 

No good at drawing? You said you're good at the characters, the plot, prove it and write. Or if you want to get good at drawing, draw the comic, no matter how crappy. Many webcomic artists who are great now, look at their first uploaded page and I can tell you it won't be as polished as their current stuff. Geez, the MSPA/Homstuck guy got famous by drawing heads on rectangles ( http://www.mspaintad...s/hs2/00001.gif ). Most fanart is better than his art and he's still got a huge following. It was the creative idea of the fans getting to choose the direction of the story that made it big.

Start off by doing it for free, prove you're worth funding, enjoy the creative process. Then you can do the kickstarter to fund the graphic novel. The same reasoning goes for getting an artist, prove your worth collaborating with by doing some stuff on your own first.

#17 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Yes exactly.

Think about successful kickstarters. They either had a very cool prototype for some sort of gadget or had a massive following already, maybe both. Would you fund a guy you don't know that says he's great at something but has nothing to prove it? Its like a job interview, you have to pitch yourself. Why should these people give you their hard earned money? You need a reason to give people so they know you'll deliver if they chip in, and I'll tell you "I'm good at writing stories" won't work because that's objective and anyone can claim that without proof. Trying to sell a story is the hardest, because until you got it down for others to see, you have no idea if it'll be a hit with people or not, all you're selling is an idea. That's why most authors starting out need a back-up job. 

No good at drawing? You said you're good at the characters, the plot, prove it and write. Or if you want to get good at drawing, draw the comic, no matter how crappy. Many webcomic artists who are great now, look at their first uploaded page and I can tell you it won't be as polished as their current stuff. Geez, the MSPA/Homstuck guy got famous by drawing heads on rectangles ( http://www.mspaintad...s/hs2/00001.gif ). Most fanart is better than his art and he's still got a huge following. It was the creative idea of the fans getting to choose the direction of the story that made it big.

Start off by doing it for free, prove you're worth funding, enjoy the creative process. Then you can do the kickstarter to fund the graphic novel. The same reasoning goes for getting an artist, prove your worth collaborating with by doing some stuff on your own first.

The really successful Kickstarter projects, yes, had a huge following. But those without much of a following have still managed it. Hell, I've backed many of those projects. Most of the ones I backed were for people I had never heard of before. I just back cool ideas. A few, like the Cyanide & Happiness Show, were those I was already aware of.

#18 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

It isn't impossible to get funded without so kind of previous works, but it definitely a lot harder.

Kickstarter is mostly for people trying to cement themselves. Generally they have a small portfolio already or a degree to back them up, but don't have the funds to do something on a grand scale.

If you don't have a portfolio to back you up your going to need a lot of concept art and story snippits to get people on your side meaning that the artist you hire is going to have to do more work in order to get the project off the ground.

I'm not saying you couldn't pull it off, just saying that I've seen a lot of first time Kickstarters fail because they weren't aware of the kind of standards they were suppose to meet. You might want to go to the graphic novel section, look at some failing Kickstarters and figure out exactly what you can offer that they aren't, that is what I've been doing for the video game section.

#19 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Or go look at some failing artist kickstarters and see if someone wants in on your project.

#20 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Turns out my dad, who has never supported my creative pursuits, really liked my idea to the point that he's gonna try to set me up some meetings with some publishers he knows through his real estate connections in NYC.

Now, I just have to write and build up a presentation. We'll see what happens.