#1 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Just picked this up last week: http://www.woot.com/...-quadricopter-3

There are a lot of Youtube videos with information on how to modify the drone for better landing gear, better antenna, better blades and batteries, etc.

Anybody have any other ideas?  Here are some of mine.

-IR Camera

-Photovoltaic Cells with Induction to supplement battery life in some way?

-Additional onboard receiver to pickup other signals?

#2 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

so i ordered a parrot ar drone 2.0 a few weeks back. realized i needed the gps unit to do some fun stuff andpicked one of those up as well.

all i have to say about this is, AWESOME!!!

i downloaded the qt source for qgroundcontrol and got it compiled and running. lots of lessons learned so far.

1. when automated landing occurs, gps is disabled. so sent a waypoint at a low altitude before landing. otherwise wind current will carry the drone way off course from your intended landing point.

2. go ahead and buy a new set of gears. theyre $14 and are a lot better than the soft stock ones. one crash landing and the teeth will strip. ive used a thin nail file to clean them up a bit, but its running rough now.

3. make sure the max altitude parameter on the drone exceeds what your waypoints are set at in qground control. otherwise your drone will not achieve the desired altitude.

4. camera is nice, but youll want to modify it with a swivel to get bettter ground coverage.

5. the stock 1000 mah battery will limit a high altitude flight to about 8 minutes. get a better battery w/ balance charger.

thats all for now. i'll post some video soon.

#3 The Great Nerdasaurus

The Great Nerdasaurus

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

That looks so sick. I wish I had some money to get one.

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles.” ~ Doctor Who

"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?" ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Back up everything!" ~ Kevin Mitnick

#4 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Do want.
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.