91 replies to this topic

#81 steampunkgrrrl

steampunkgrrrl

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest AL

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Ugh...oh ye gods...knights of badassdom. The movie.

it was so painful to watch. It felt like someone was holding up a very ugly and very truthful mirror.

It made me feel like such a loser, y'know? Other people are grown and getting jobs and having successful lives with real friends going to nightclubs and buying fashionable clothes. What do I do? Sit on my ass yelling at whatever mob I happen to be fighting in whatever game I happen to be playing and getting pissy because not only is her armor nowhere near historically accurate, it has obvious coverage flaws. I haven't been out with people in for-fucking-ever because no one within 100 miles of here is even remotely interested in gaming.

Ugh. Why do I feel like I'm just some kid playing at being a grown-up?
card.png

#82 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

it was so painful to watch. It felt like someone was holding up a very ugly and very truthful mirror.

It made me feel like such a loser, y'know? Other people are grown and getting jobs and having successful lives with real friends going to nightclubs and buying fashionable clothes. What do I do? Sit on my ass yelling at whatever mob I happen to be fighting in whatever game I happen to be playing and getting pissy because not only is her armor nowhere near historically accurate, it has obvious coverage flaws. I haven't been out with people in for-fucking-ever because no one within 100 miles of here is even remotely interested in gaming.

Aw, I know that feeling. I don't think anyone feels like they're completely grown up. Ever.

We all grow up at different rates. People think there's some sort of check list for being an adult, but you're pretty much doing adulthood at 16/17. Just because you don't go out drinking, doesn't make you a loser. I'd much rather have a night indoors with friends than go downtown, and sometimes I'd rather have a night alone with a book and that's okay too. And you'd be surprised at the people interested in gaming though. If there's a hobby shop around I'd ask about clubs. I once went to a board games club and ended up playing a game of Fortune and Glory with my math prof.. the night before a big test in his course. I'm not sure if he recognized me, it was a big class. Hopefully not haha. I found out he's a really cool guy and he's actually a huge part of the tabletop gaming scene in town. I never would have guessed.

Responsibility is important though. You have all the power in the world for your own life, if you're unhappy with it, go out and change it. 

I also love in games how the best armor for women with the most defense is the one that covers the least. Completely logical. :P

#83 steampunkgrrrl

steampunkgrrrl

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest AL

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

That's another rant!!!!! Let's talk about women's armor.

Take Ivy, for example. Awesome, well rounded character with an interesting story and great fighting style. What does she wear? Thread. Thread, I say!

I used to play a fighter class on an MMO called perfect world. The armor was a midriff, gartered stockings, greaves, and a loin cloth. Flying over a town was a free show for everyone.

I threw my hands up in the air when diablo III came out. I played a witch doctor, which I was hoping would be this swamp hag with stringy hair, thin as a rake, and saggy skin. What do I get? Naomi Campbell.
card.png

#84 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Take Ivy, for example. Awesome, well rounded character with an interesting story and great fighting style. What does she wear? Thread. Thread, I say!

I used to play a fighter class on an MMO called perfect world. The armor was a midriff, gartered stockings, greaves, and a loin cloth. Flying over a town was a free show for everyone.

I threw my hands up in the air when diablo III came out. I played a witch doctor, which I was hoping would be this swamp hag with stringy hair, thin as a rake, and saggy skin. What do I get? Naomi Campbell.

This is what keeps me from fully likely Mortal Kombat.

#85 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Oh my god, if this insurance bullshit c0ntinues, I'm going to throw my car into the sun.

I haven't been this frustrated with bureaucracy in so many fucking years I swear I'm going to have an aneurism and split into multiple personalities and just fucking kill every human ever and then there will be NO insurance because everyone will be fucking dead and the goddamn problem will be solved for-fucking-ever! HAHAHAHAHAHA, FUCK YOU.

:angry:

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#86 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

I also love in games how the best armor for women with the most defense is the one that covers the least. Completely logical. :P

In one sense it does, the less you have on the more movement you have and the easier it is for you to dodge attacks, which is a defensive move.

That being said, I think it's silly too :P

Because I can...

#87 Akiyo

Akiyo

Megabyte

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I agree. There has got to be some way of making female armor more practical >_< 

Must be hard for you to feel this way :( I'd like to kindly say that you can do whatever you want to in life, no doubt ^^ We all (Mostly?) love gaming here and I do too. If it is something you love and something you want to do, then go for it~ 

That self-insight is just going to keep helping you along, no need to worry. :D

(Probably terrible advice.. but I try)

#88 steampunkgrrrl

steampunkgrrrl

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest AL

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice and support.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering. My grandfather chooses to bully me about this on a pretty regular basis. He finds some nonsensical thing that I don't know about and tell me that I must not be an engineer. This eats at me because I have serious issues with self doubt. I got excellent marks in school, honor socities, etc...but because I didn't see a washer at the end of a piece of something I'm not an engineer.

Also, the words mechanical engineer does not equal mechanic. My father has a hard time understanding this too, mostly because he's too cheap to take it to someone.
card.png

#89 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the advice and support.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering. My grandfather chooses to bully me about this on a pretty regular basis. He finds some nonsensical thing that I don't know about and tell me that I must not be an engineer. This eats at me because I have serious issues with self doubt. I got excellent marks in school, honor socities, etc...but because I didn't see a washer at the end of a piece of something I'm not an engineer.

Also, the words mechanical engineer does not equal mechanic. My father has a hard time understanding this too, mostly because he's too cheap to take it to someone.

I get this a lot as well, steampunk, but with a certain friend. "What the hell, you don't type properly?" "You're using that piece of software?" "Why are you doing it that way instead of this way?" Don't let someone else define who you are. You have the degree, which is something a lot of people these days try for, but drop out in first year. You deserve it, you're an engineer regardless of what others say.

Mechanical engineering is really cool though, I was debating between mechanical and computer when I first got to university. Have you ever read Angela Melick's comics? She's a mechanical engineer from Canada who writes all these fun comic strips. I haven't been keeping up with her lately but her older comics are great and are really relatable to a nerdy kid in engineering school.  http://www.wastedtalent.ca/

#90 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

MASSIVE RANT!!!!

The shop only had warm Dr Pepper, I put it in the freezer, forgot about it AND THEN IT BLEW UP. 

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I think I'm more gutted that I didn't get to drink it. Forget about the mess, I WANT MY DR PEP!!!!

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#91 Akiyo

Akiyo

Megabyte

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Sushikitten is absolutely right Steampunk~ I know it's easier said than done, but there really is no reason to let others define you, as she said! :D You'll do just fine, no worries~!

MASSIVE RANT!!!!

The shop only had warm Dr Pepper, I put it in the freezer, forgot about it AND THEN IT BLEW UP. 

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I think I'm more gutted that I didn't get to drink it. Forget about the mess, I WANT MY DR PEP!!!!

You just got a like, because the simplicity in that is so funny.

#92 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

I was wiping my butt and my finger poked through the loo roll.