24 replies to this topic

#1 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'm new here.  My name here is my typical handle Internet-wide (although I have a few random ones for Twitter and Blogger,) so if you've seen a Big_Willie_Styles in another place, it was probably me.

I got the name at a summer program.  Didn't find out until months later it was a nickname Will Smith gave himself.  I just thought it was cool.  I was a big dude named William.  Didn't realize the sexual joke until later.  But you can call me Mista Styles if yo' nasty.

I'm the Resident Pokemon Super Nerd, political and economic wonk extraordinaire, Zelda fanboy, and overall Knower-Of-Things.

Glad to be here.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#2 Akiyo

Akiyo

Megabyte

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Whaa~ You're so many things all at once! 

I'm very glad to meet you Mista Styles!

#3 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Welcome :) Hope you have fun here.

Check out my blog https://mygeekygirllife.wordpress.com/

Check out my photography on instagram @thegeeklifeblog

#4 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thanks and plan to, respectively.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#5 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationOver the hills, where the seven dwarfs dwell

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Welcome
So what kind of things do you know? :D

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#6 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#7 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Welcome
So what kind of things do you know? :D

Anything that interests me, which is a lot of things.

I'm a general pop culture buff outside of sports (can never watch something so similar over and over again and stats bore me but I know some things about it.)

I'm deeply ingrained in current events and philosophical economic theory.  People like F. A. Hayek.

I debate economic policy and theory for fun.  It's my anti-drug.  I get high off it, basically.

#8 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Anything that interests me, which is a lot of things.

I'm a general pop culture buff outside of sports (can never watch something so similar over and over again and stats bore me but I know some things about it.)

I'm deeply ingrained in current events and philosophical economic theory.  People like F. A. Hayek.

I debate economic policy and theory for fun.  It's my anti-drug.  I get high off it, basically.

oookay.. I mean I know things too but I'm not at all up to date on most things. so what is pop culture? I won't even ask about the rest xD

Et j'aime la nuit écouter les étoiles. C'est comme cinq cent millions de grelots. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#9 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Haha, NERD

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#10 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Milton is where it's at, yo. Milton, Friedman and Keynes are the big three.

Love to see a political nut! Welcome.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#11 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forum. :)

nmjUGDL.jpg

#12 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Milton is where it's at, yo. Milton, Friedman and Keynes are the big three.

Love to see a political nut! Welcome.

Hayek turned out to be right.  Friedman rode his coat-tails, saying the exact same things as him only three decades later.  He got all the credit that Hayek deserved for destroying Keynes (which he did while Keynes was actually still alive, so there.)  Hayek lived to see the fail of the Soviet Union, something he predicted for the precise reason it fell back in the '40s.  He's a BAMF is what I'm saying.

And the Chicago school made a lot of errors in judgment.  They differed with the Austrian school on the Federal Reserve.  The Austrians hated that the Federal Reserve controls the interest rate and not the free market.  And the housing boom and bust proved the Austrians right on that point.  Unfortunately, those who hold the Austrian torch today are all of the "uncle you only see during family get-togethers" crazy.

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a "politics" section on this forum.  Might you point me in the right direction?

#13 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

oookay.. I mean I know things too but I'm not at all up to date on most things. so what is pop culture? I won't even ask about the rest xD

Movies, music, TV, the Internet, YouTube, politics, etc.

Also, you a fan of "Lost Girl"?  I suspect with a name like "fae" you'd have to be.

#14 Akiyo

Akiyo

Megabyte

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hayek turned out to be right.  Friedman rode his coat-tails, saying the exact same things as him only three decades later.  He got all the credit that Hayek deserved for destroying Keynes (which he did while Keynes was actually still alive, so there.)  Hayek lived to see the fail of the Soviet Union, something he predicted for the precise reason it fell back in the '40s.  He's a BAMF is what I'm saying.

And the Chicago school made a lot of errors in judgment.  They differed with the Austrian school on the Federal Reserve.  The Austrians hated that the Federal Reserve controls the interest rate and not the free market.  And the housing boom and bust proved the Austrians right on that point.  Unfortunately, those who hold the Austrian torch today are all of the "uncle you only see during family get-togethers" crazy.

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a "politics" section on this forum.  Might you point me in the right direction?

Whaaat was that. Perhaps there really should be a section for politics and debates xD I didn't understand anything you just said! I'm gonna blame it on my norwegianess.

#15 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

Whaaat was that. Perhaps there really should be a section for politics and debates xD I didn't understand anything you just said! I'm gonna blame it on my norwegianess.

I crafted my debating skills over years of being in minority opinion, taking on groups of five at once.  And kicking their asses just the same.

#16 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Welcome.

I too am a knower of things, generally in varied and dissimilar topics.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#17 fae

fae

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

Movies, music, TV, the Internet, YouTube, politics, etc.

Also, you a fan of "Lost Girl"?  I suspect with a name like "fae" you'd have to be.

Ok :D I know some things about that as well

I like the series I guess but I used that name long before that series ;)

#18 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Ok :D I know some things about that as well

I like the series I guess but I used that name long before that series ;)

Hale was in the "RoboCop" reboot by the way (which I thought was better than the original.)

#19 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

creepy-callista-gingrich-meme-generator-

I will never tire of this image. Welcome aboard. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

There's no politics section as of yet dude, potentially raucous topics tend to be suppressed but now and again something pops up in Everything Else and it's usually pretty fun.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.