6 replies to this topic

#1 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

I've been charting out my college courses for the next few years, getting a software programming degree with a minor in game programming. That is all well and good but I was noticing the curriculum is all about 3D environment design.

This isn't a bad thing, that will definitely be very useful to me, but they don't really cover 2D design and I'm wondering how easy it will be to go backwards.

Will I need to learn new techniques or can I do it Fez style and have it 2Dish in a 3D environment and work fine? If not what sort of resources should I look into to learn the missing pieces?

#2 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

I wouldn't do the "Fez style". It's better that you do it the proper way so you would get the most out of it. For what I know, 2D game programming is much easier that 3D game programming. Also, since you had to ask that here, I'm guessing you haven't even tried it. Just pick up some programming language like Java and make a few games and see how easy it is. Just follow some tutorials online and that's it.

Google is your friend.

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#3 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'm not sure you understand the issue. Also, Google hasn't been very useful in the particular subject, was hoping to get the opinion of a programmer.

#4 user936

user936

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLebanon middle east

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Well I'm a 2d game programmer(sort of) never went into 3d. from what I have seen so far 2d game requires high school math. It's basically moving an object on a x y plane, when 2 objects have the same x coordinates and same y coordinates, then the 2 objects have collided. If I had to guess, I'd say 3d is about moving an object on an xyz plane. Animating the objects is about alternating from one image to another within fractions of a second. I am not sure how this is done in 3d(or if there are things that make 3d objects) So I guess it shouldn't be difficult to move from 3d to 2d

#5 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Well I'm a 2d game programmer(sort of) never went into 3d. from what I have seen so far 2d game requires high school math. It's basically moving an object on a x y plane, when 2 objects have the same x coordinates and same y coordinates, then the 2 objects have collided. If I had to guess, I'd say 3d is about moving an object on an xyz plane. Animating the objects is about alternating from one image to another within fractions of a second. I am not sure how this is done in 3d(or if there are things that make 3d objects) So I guess it shouldn't be difficult to move from 3d to 2d

Does this game making require programming?

I used to mess around with Game Maker in High School to but that is not what I'm trying to get at here.

Another example, 3D games general have some sort of 2D element. For example, while you explore the 3D world a 2D representation of you on a mini-map explores 2D version of the game world.

Would it be optimal in the game making biz to use the 2D elements from the 3D environment to make a 2D game or if they two are so far apart that learning 2D game making would take extra things to implement efficiently.

tl;dr

will learning 3D game making prepare me for 2D game making.

Keep in mind my future is at stake, so rather not have guesses.

#6 user936

user936

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLebanon middle east

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

I am programming my games with javascript(impact js engine) I don't know about the rest of your questions. I don't deal with 3d at all. Harder to make, harder to render, and since my focus is mobile devices...

#7 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

I ended up going to a game development forum and they basically told me that if I use something like openGL then I can just use the 3D engine fine, so yeah it should be fine.

Thanks for trying though everyone!