10 replies to this topic

#1 Giandor

Giandor

Byte

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

There's a chance that you guys could have covered this, but i think its nice to take a look. Bear in min that i:

1)  don't know who Whil Wheaton is;

2)  know he's related to Star Trek;

3)  Seen him in TBBT;

But i stumbled upon this article:

https://wilwheaton.n...e-to-be-a-nerd/

(copy and paste in the url bar, or just search Whil Wheaton ^).

Reading it, my eyes just opened, and i thought it would be nice to hear what you guys think of it. I think that what he said was totally true, and that it should be put in a frame and hung up somewhere. Check out his article and comment :D  

We humans give so much for granted, but not many people realize what a fluke it is if we are here today. Remember how lucky we are, and take a minute to be grateful for what we have. Because before you know it, the best has come to past, and you will be left with nothing, but remorse for what was, and what will never be.

#2 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

It is true, yes. It's also deathly obvious.

"The defining characteristic of [being a nerd] is that we love things."

No shit, Wil. No shit. It's a nice sentiment, but I don't think he should be praised for saying the same things other people have said before him. Simon Pegg pretty much said the same thing, though that was about "geek" rather than nerd.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#3 Giandor

Giandor

Byte

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Like i said...i stumbled on it by accident...

We humans give so much for granted, but not many people realize what a fluke it is if we are here today. Remember how lucky we are, and take a minute to be grateful for what we have. Because before you know it, the best has come to past, and you will be left with nothing, but remorse for what was, and what will never be.

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I'm not really directing it at you. More the cult following that Wil has that hang on his every word, when it's often (or at least, should be) common sense.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#5 bookfloss

bookfloss

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

The content was cool, but the post itself sounds like Wheaton's vie to be "The Face of Nerd" or "Spokesman for Nerds", etc.

He does't speak for all of us & that post insinuates he thinks he does. That saccharin, political quality is what gives him away. The post sounds like it should be read at a convention not to a little girl. I don't hate him but he could easily have written a personal note to his daughter without pandering to the masses in a stream of rousing axioms. :<_<: 

"Normal is what everyone else is and you're not."  Malcolm McDowell

#6 Giandor

Giandor

Byte

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

I researched what occasion he said it at, and it was a convention, to the mother of "Violet" the girl in description. from what iv'e heard,

this Whil is no good, oh well :D  I will believe just the thought behind the words, and not the vocal cords they came from  ;)

#7 bookfloss

bookfloss

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

I researched what occasion he said it at, and it was a convention...

...well how often does one get to feel as embarrassed as I do now? :blink:

My mistake everyone - I thought it was simply a letter to his daughter that he posted online.

*looks for giant rock to crawl under*

#8 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

...well how often does one get to feel as embarrassed as I do now? :blink:

My mistake everyone - I thought it was simply a letter to his daughter that he posted online.

*looks for giant rock to crawl under*

It really does sound like a letter he'd write to his daughter or something.

I know Wil more as Faux from The Guild, and the star of one of the webseries that got me into tabletop gaming. While I enjoy the guy, I kind of don't like the whole "yeah nerd and proud" vibe that him and a few others throw around now? Weird coming from someone who posts a lot on Nerd Forum. I just find it brings a sense of elitism that kind of frustrates me. 

#9 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yeah this is written as a letter to his daughter who is currently a baby, meant for her to read it when she is a teenager.

So it doesn't really matter if we like it, it wasn't really meant for us in the first place.

#10 bookfloss

bookfloss

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

So it doesn't really matter if we like it, it wasn't really meant for us in the first place.

Then what's it doing online?

#11 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Then what's it doing online?

Da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa. Just because it is in the Louvre doesn't mean it was meant for us.