65 replies to this topic

#41 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I honestly do think Nintendo does employ fanservice, not in the anime sense but in the sense that they seem to cater almost exclusively for fan-boys.

"Golly gee! Nintendo are putting the bloated, repugnant corpse that is the Mario franchise out for another game, I can't wait to do the same thing I've been doing for over 25 years! Maybe there'll even be a new gimmick this time!"

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#42 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

I honestly do think Nintendo does employ fanservice, not in the anime sense but in the sense that they seem to cater almost exclusively for fan-boys.

"Golly gee! Nintendo are putting the bloated, repugnant corpse that is the Mario franchise out for another game, I can't wait to do the same thing I've been doing for over 25 years! Maybe there'll even be a new gimmick this time!"

It's the best selling video game franchise of all time. Pokemon is the second. Pretty much the only consistent money makers for them. Allows them to spend four to six years making their best games:  The Legend of Zelda. That shit's my jam. The five 3-D console Zeldas are all in my top 6 video games of all time (RE4 is the only non-Zelda in that, at #4 oddly enough.)

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#43 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

best selling =/= best quality. The fact that they have to squeeze every last drop out of the few notable house titles that they have, sort of proves that Nintendo is just not performing up to the same standard that Xbox and Playstation are. I honestly feel like Nintendo are dropping out of the race and veering towards the knackering yard. It's not a nice thing to happen, but it seems that those are the trends, they've been in danger since the end of 2012, imo.

#44 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

best selling =/= best quality. The fact that they have to squeeze every last drop out of the few notable house titles that they have, sort of proves that Nintendo is just not performing up to the same standard that Xbox and Playstation are. I honestly feel like Nintendo are dropping out of the race and veering towards the knackering yard. It's not a nice thing to happen, but it seems that those are the trends, they've been in danger since the end of 2012, imo.

What does this have to do with anything? That is like saying that it doesn't matter that CoD sells.

Whether it is "quality" or not is your opinion and that is always subjective, and since they are the best selling games in the market I would venture to guess that a lot of people disagree with you.

#45 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

I thought the Mario Galaxies were enchanting and charming as hell...

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#46 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

Right? Mario Galaxy was pretty good, it was new, it was fresh, it really expanded on the Mario Mythos if you will. Wonder how many sequels it'll get.

#47 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I know, but they're a business. "Madden" and "Call of Duty" are the two things in a title almost guaranteed to increase sales with each new installment. And those games are not quality. They're generally shinier reskins of the same damn game.

This video spells this out very well:

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#48 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Right? Mario Galaxy was pretty good, it was new, it was fresh, it really expanded on the Mario Mythos if you will. Wonder how many sequels it'll get.

And it didn't sell well compared to the rehash 2-D Mario games. Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario game. It is one of the lowest selling in the entire franchise. The original Yoshi's Island is considered an amazing crazy good game despite it being one of the lowest selling games Nintendo ever made with Mario in it.

#49 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

I agree, SM Sunshine is one of my favourite Nintendo games of all time, shame it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

#50 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

My favorite part is when people say that Mario and Zelda games are the pinnacle of stagnent gaming. Because you know, they totally don't try to make some kind of significant change in each entry.

-Wind waker, definitely the same as OoT

-Majora's Mask was just a shameless sequel.

-Twilight Princess, definitely the same as Wind Waker

-Skyward Sword, yep just a remake of Twilight Princess obviously.

-Super Mario 64, basically the same game as Super Mario World

-Paper Mario, same game as Mario 64

-Galaxy, duh its 3D, obviously a shot for shot remake of 64 also.

If you can actually believe these statements realistically you either have never played the games or must think that pretty every game in existence is just an enhanced version of Pong.

People love to say that Nintendo repeats themselves all the time while completely ignoring the fact that they really only repeat themselves about 25% of the time. The rest of the time they at least add something significent to the gameplay.

If you disagree with me I'd like to hear where Nintendo milks a franchise as hard as CoD, Guitar Hero, (Blah Blah Blah) Saga (by Kings), or Madden. Really the only thing that comes to mind is the New Super Mario games.

#51 Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

New mario kart also looks siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

The wiiu is def a fun little system, and nintendo has some of my all time favorite games. It's not for everybody, but hell, I don't think ANY system is ment to appease everyone. It's just sad that the wiiu is so sloooow at producing any games, but the 3ds is the most solid handheld I've played yet. Loves it.

#52 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Nintendo milks their characters, rather than their franchises. I vaguely remember adding up all the Mario games and games featuring Mario as a main character, and in like a 20-year stint Mario was in 80ish games? So yeah, that's pretty good milking there.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#53 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

My favorite part is when people say that Mario and Zelda games are the pinnacle of stagnent gaming. Because you know, they totally don't try to make some kind of significant change in each entry.

-Wind waker, definitely the same as OoT

-Majora's Mask was just a shameless sequel.

-Twilight Princess, definitely the same as Wind Waker

-Skyward Sword, yep just a remake of Twilight Princess obviously.

-Super Mario 64, basically the same game as Super Mario World

-Paper Mario, same game as Mario 64

-Galaxy, duh its 3D, obviously a shot for shot remake of 64 also.

If you can actually believe these statements realistically you either have never played the games or must think that pretty every game in existence is just an enhanced version of Pong.

People love to say that Nintendo repeats themselves all the time while completely ignoring the fact that they really only repeat themselves about 25% of the time. The rest of the time they at least add something significent to the gameplay.

If you disagree with me I'd like to hear where Nintendo milks a franchise as hard as CoD, Guitar Hero, (Blah Blah Blah) Saga (by Kings), or Madden. Really the only thing that comes to mind is the New Super Mario games.

The biggest pusher of "every Zelda game is the same" is Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation over at The Escapist (now owned by the same company that owns the Smosh franchise.)  He's a great reviewer generally, but he tends to fall into the critic's paradox, i.e. liking games that sales show failed horribly and then getting mad at everyone for not being as enlightened as he (and in the opposite vein of hating terribly on games that sell crazy well and being pissed at the general gamer community for indulging in buying the games he sees as complete shit.)

He said Wind Waker is the best Zelda (*snort*) and Skyward Sword is by far the worst he'd ever played (*snort.*)

I put Wind Waker as #6 on my all time best video games of all time list, but every other 3-D console Zelda (and RE4) is above it.

By the way, I put Twilight Princess at #1 and in order: OoT, Skyward Sword, RE4, Majora's Mask.

#54 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Nintendo milks their characters, rather than their franchises. I vaguely remember adding up all the Mario games and games featuring Mario as a main character, and in like a 20-year stint Mario was in 80ish games? So yeah, that's pretty good milking there.

I believe he has been featured in at least 300. Main character in about 50-100. I would say that is smart thinking on Nintendo's part. It is one of the big reasons why they have survived for over 30 years while other companies fall. Mario probably wouldn't be Mr. Video Game if he was just limited to platformers.

The biggest pusher of "every Zelda game is the same" is Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation over at The Escapist (now owned by the same company that owns the Smosh franchise.)  He's a great reviewer generally, but he tends to fall into the critic's paradox, i.e. liking games that sales show failed horribly and then getting mad at everyone for not being as enlightened as he (and in the opposite vein of hating terribly on games that sell crazy well and being pissed at the general gamer community for indulging in buying the games he sees as complete shit.)

He said Wind Waker is the best Zelda (*snort*) and Skyward Sword is by far the worst he'd ever played (*snort.*)

I put Wind Waker as #6 on my all time best video games of all time list, but every other 3-D console Zelda (and RE4) is above it.

By the way, I put Twilight Princess at #1 and in order: OoT, Skyward Sword, RE4, Majora's Mask.

It goes far past Yahtzee. In forums I used to go to a lot of people would hail Zelda as the king of numbered sequels that never change. Of course the irony to that is that only one Zelda game has a number in it, and everyone hates that game for being TOO DIFFERENT.

#55 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

It goes far past Yahtzee. In forums I used to go to a lot of people would hail Zelda as the king of numbered sequels that never change. Of course the irony to that is that only one Zelda game has a number in it, and everyone hates that game for being TOO DIFFERENT.

Well, Zelda II was pretty shit. It took the worst aspect of the original Zelda (always starting at the beginning screen after every death) and combined it with break neck difficulty and terrible RPG elements. I'm glad the series didn't go in that direction.

#56 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I quite like that game, but only in the capacity of an emulator with save states because that game is a fiery bitch.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#57 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

I quite like that game, but only in the capacity of an emulator with save states because that game is a fiery bitch.

Yes, it is. Although the final boss is rather easy if you duck in a corner and slash his shins.

#58 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Zelda II isn't that bad. I beat it on the original cartridge when I was about 10. Low on my Zelda list but don't consider it a bad game overall.

#59 steampunkgrrrl

steampunkgrrrl

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest AL

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

You can start playing GBA games on the Wii-U.

http://www.polygon.c...onsole-in-april
card.png

#60 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

You can start playing GBA games on the Wii-U.

http://www.polygon.c...onsole-in-april

That's nice, if I actually had a WiiU yet. Got a 3DS when Pokemon X/Y came out and since Super Smash Bros. is also coming out for the 3DS, I won't need to buy the WiiU until Hyrule Warriors comes out.