65 replies to this topic

#61 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

They have already proved that they an put SNES and GBA games on the 3DS. They are just holding out to try and get stuff to sell on the Wii U.

It is a shame because I would totally get Earthbound on my 3DS if I could.

#62 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

They have already proved that they an put SNES and GBA games on the 3DS. They are just holding out to try and get stuff to sell on the Wii U.

It is a shame because I would totally get Earthbound on my 3DS if I could.

What's great about the Nintendo eShop is games that were only physically released in Japan can be bought digitally in America.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#63 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yes, it is. Although the final boss is rather easy if you duck in a corner and slash his shins.

I wouldn't know, I never got that far. -.-

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#64 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

I wouldn't know, I never got that far. -.-

I only saw the AVGN beat him with the Power Glove.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#65 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

http://www.polygon.c...truggling-death

Nintendo gives us nothing to talk about. It says nothing. Nintendo releases a video every now and again that announces some aspect of a game that will likely be fun, but will also look very much like the last game in the series. Nintendo seems to have ditched any attempt to do novel things with the Wii U’s tablet-style controller, and is instead hoping that high definition graphics are going to be enough for its latest games.

Yup.

One of the comments really brings it home though. Where are the old greats? Where's F-Zero? Where's Star Fox? Where's Metroid? Hell, where's Pokémon? Nintendo are trying to survive on Mario and Zelda, and it isn't cutting it. While on the 3DS you've got pinch hitters like Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Bravely Default, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, all big titles with big scores and big profits to match. Then we move over to look at the Wii U and we've got... Mario. Specifically, 5 Mario games if you count the new Smash Bros.

I want to like Nintendo for their home consoles, I really do. But they've made extremely poor decisions lately. Did you know that in the 7 weeks following its launch, the Wii U sold more than it did in the next 12 months combined? That's not good.

And then we've got this.

http://www.computera...einvent-itself/

Before anything, the most important decision Nintendo needs to make is decide who, exactly, should be its target audience. What the Wii U demonstrated so effectively was that trying to entice both core and casual gamer fails to work on either.

"Nintendo was dead to us very quickly," one EA source told me when asked about why the publisher fell out with Nintendo so soon after committing to the system. "It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises". Candid words but helpful feedback. If Nintendo wants to entice the core gamer, it must summon meaningful support from the third party publishers who earn their crust with berserk and shouty war games.

And again, a comment leaps out at me.

The simple fact is, that while most Nintendo developed games are a joy to play, they can only cling on to that brand or character recognition for so long. It's all well and good having a good Mario and Zelda game to play, but what are we left to play in-between when 3rd party developers aren't seen as a vital part of the consoles existence?

When even your fans are bored of your games, you've got a problem and you're not gonna solve it with another Mario game.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#66 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

This breaks my heart and the worst part is that everything you just said is true.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif