25 replies to this topic

#1 Indecent_Adventures

Indecent_Adventures

Byte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMichagen

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

I have plenty of friends irl that watch and read anime they keep saying that i should read and watch some to but i keep putting it off i have watched high school of the dead and read some bleach and Naruto can you guys help me out and give me a suggestion to a good anime. 

200.gif

#2 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

Welcome to the NHK was okay. Watamote was also okay. Both of those are about really antisocial people, so I'm assuming those might be alienating. The Melancholy (and the Infinite Sadness (Ha ha, Smashing Pumpkins reference)) of Haruhi Suzimiya (I'm not looking up how to spell her name correctly) was... well... it was. It was too light, fluffy, and light and fluffy for me to really care about anything except for the narrator, he was quite entertaining.

#3 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

One of the best 'gateway anime' imo is Fullmetal Alchemist. It's set in a world where alchemy is a thing, and there are people who study it. It's basically magic. It follows two brothers who committed one of the most taboo acts, trying to bring their mother back to life by human transmutation. It's hard to describe the story from there because there's two different versions of this series, the first series starts off close to the manga, and then branches off into it's own story. The second series was like a remake of the first that more closely follows the manga. I recommend the second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but it doesn't matter which one you choose. I just like Brotherhood better.

Death Note is also pretty good. In short, it's about the protagonist, a high school boy, finding a special notebook: If you write a name in the book, that person will die. The protagonist then uses the book to instill his own version of justice over hardened criminals and such. The series then goes into a battle of wits with him and the best detective in the world. It's really good and I think it's one of those shows you think about well after it's over. I dunno, it really made me think about morality. 

Death Note is a lot more sober and dramatic. The action comes more from the mental processes of the characters. FMA is (somewhat) more lighthearted, there's still a lot of parts that can break your heart, and it's got a lot more action and fight scenes.. 

#4 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

higurashi is a must watch for mind fuck anime

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#5 Indecent_Adventures

Indecent_Adventures

Byte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMichagen

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

sushikitten thanks for pointing me at those i read the first few manga to deathnote and i love it and i have seen a few episodes of fullmetal i think ill look into it further

200.gif

#6 veL

veL

Byte

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

One of the best 'gateway anime' imo is Fullmetal Alchemist. It's set in a world where alchemy is a thing, and there are people who study it. It's basically magic. It follows two brothers who committed one of the most taboo acts, trying to bring their mother back to life by human transmutation. It's hard to describe the story from there because there's two different versions of this series, the first series starts off close to the manga, and then branches off into it's own story. The second series was like a remake of the first that more closely follows the manga. I recommend the second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but it doesn't matter which one you choose. I just like Brotherhood better.

Death Note is also pretty good. In short, it's about the protagonist, a high school boy, finding a special notebook: If you write a name in the book, that person will die. The protagonist then uses the book to instill his own version of justice over hardened criminals and such. The series then goes into a battle of wits with him and the best detective in the world. It's really good and I think it's one of those shows you think about well after it's over. I dunno, it really made me think about morality. 

Death Note is a lot more sober and dramatic. The action comes more from the mental processes of the characters. FMA is (somewhat) more lighthearted, there's still a lot of parts that can break your heart, and it's got a lot more action and fight scenes..

Well said. I also consider these two the gateway to satisfying Anime experience. Death note is a show that I often recommend to people who aren't fans of fantasy or just japanese kind of craziness in general. It's not only very down-to-earth (except the supernatural addition of course), but also has a very compelling story that makes you wonder what's wrong and right. Then Fullmetal Alchemist is a great fantasy serie that focuses more on adventure and finding the truth that surrounds the mysterious world. Both have superb story and characters that draw you in.

But there are many more branches of Anime that hold gems, I absolutely love the crazy, random comedy anime like Nichijou, or a solid horror like Higurashi Naku Koro Ni, some mecha comedy action like Gurren lagann or a legit Samurai story with some nicely alternative theme like in Samurai Champloo or a sports anime that gets your blood pumping and occassionaly laughing like Hajime no Ippo. From there you still have Ecchi, School slice of life with the daily boredom, romance and some more dramas.

Anyway, these all are good to start with. Just avoid these 200-episodes long Anime that are so popular among children, or you will spend bunchload of time only to realise that it's chasing its own tail without any deeper plot development.

#7 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Well said. I also consider these two the gateway to satisfying Anime experience. Death note is a show that I often recommend to people who aren't fans of fantasy or just japanese kind of craziness in general. It's not only very down-to-earth (except the supernatural addition of course), but also has a very compelling story that makes you wonder what's wrong and right. Then Fullmetal Alchemist is a great fantasy serie that focuses more on adventure and finding the truth that surrounds the mysterious world. Both have superb story and characters that draw you in.

But there are many more branches of Anime that hold gems, I absolutely love the crazy, random comedy anime like Nichijou, or a solid horror like Higurashi Naku Koro Ni, some mecha comedy action like Gurren lagann or a legit Samurai story with some nicely alternative theme like in Samurai Champloo or a sports anime that gets your blood pumping and occassionaly laughing like Hajime no Ippo. From there you still have Ecchi, School slice of life with the daily boredom, romance and some more dramas.

Anyway, these all are good to start with. Just avoid these 200-episodes long Anime that are so popular among children, or you will spend bunchload of time only to realise that it's chasing its own tail without any deeper plot development.

Yes, exactly! If I'm introducing someone to anime, I really don't want to introduce them with some embarrassing show drenched with anime stereotypes like endless battles and shit. Animation is just a medium, and even though there's a lot of anime tropes, anime still just a medium to tell a story and there's so many different stories with different genres and levels of seriousness. I feel like when most western people think of anime, they think of choppy animations, panty shots and ridiculous fight scenes, like Bleach, DBZ, etc, when there's shows with gorgeous animation like in 5cm per Second or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; or even good, thought provoking stories like Death Note or Monster.

#8 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

sushikitten thanks for pointing me at those i read the first few manga to deathnote and i love it and i have seen a few episodes of fullmetal i think ill look into it further

Sushikitten know's all about anime. >.>

Lp5M62Z.gif

#9 veL

veL

Byte

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Yes, exactly! If I'm introducing someone to anime, I really don't want to introduce them with some embarrassing show drenched with anime stereotypes like endless battles and shit. Animation is just a medium, and even though there's a lot of anime tropes, anime still just a medium to tell a story and there's so many different stories with different genres and levels of seriousness. I feel like when most western people think of anime, they think of choppy animations, panty shots and ridiculous fight scenes, like Bleach, DBZ, etc, when there's shows with gorgeous animation like in 5cm per Second or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; or even good, thought provoking stories like Death Note or Monster.

It's even worse where I live (Poland), people just assume Anime are 'these cartoons for immature people' ...*sigh*. Luckily, all my friends that I showed Anime changed their opinions and realised that they were pretty darn closed-minded in that subject.

Oh there also were quite a few people who assumed anime = hentai. Incurable.

#10 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Sushikitten know's all about anime. >.>

Oh you, flattery will get you no where.

But no lol I actually chatted with a few friends on Skype asking about good anime to introduce others with.

#11 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

It's even worse where I live (Poland), people just assume Anime are 'these cartoons for immature people' ...*sigh*. Luckily, all my friends that I showed Anime changed their opinions and realised that they were pretty darn closed-minded in that subject.

Oh there also were quite a few people who assumed anime = hentai. Incurable.

It's not just Poland that suffers that. Pretty much anywhere outside of Japan, the majority believe that anime = cartoons.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#12 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Oh you, flattery will get you no where.

I think you everywhere.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#13 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

It's not just Poland that suffers that. Pretty much anywhere outside of Japan, the majority believe that anime = cartoons.

Well, you can't blame them. Anime are technically cartoons.

#14 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Well, no. But compare the amount of "adult" cartoons that don't focus on fart jokes in the Western world to those in Japan, and you see a gigantic cultural gap.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#15 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Well, no. But compare the amount of "adult" cartoons that don't focus on fart jokes in the Western world to those in Japan, and you see a gigantic cultural gap.

I understand what you are saying. I'm just saying it's easy to see why they would think that anime is just 4kids.

Also, as somebody who watches western cartoons quite frequently, I am offended. PISTOLS AT OVER 9000 PACES!

EDIT: Wait, "adult" cartoons? Yeah, the adult cartoons here are almost all terrible.

#16 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Yeah. Overall, anime is designed for a more mature audience than western cartoons. I'm pretty sure there's no cartoons that are anywhere near as adult in their nature as Saikano or Kannazuki no Miko. Probably a good thing, though.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#17 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Yeah. Overall, anime is designed for a more mature audience than western cartoons. I'm pretty sure there's no cartoons that are anywhere near as adult in their nature as Saikano or Kannazuki no Miko. Probably a good thing, though.

I don't know what those are.

#18 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Very mature, very depressing anime.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#19 RespawningEnemy

RespawningEnemy

Megabyte

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Very mature, very depressing anime.

Mature as in...?

Depressing as in...?

#20 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Mature as in...?

Depressing as in...?

Google is your friend, my friend.

TO OP:

You need to check out the following:

Cowboy bebop (my personal favorite anime ever)

Neon genesis evangeleon

ergo proxy

ghost in the shell: stand alone complex 

and a few others. I would avoid things like bleach, one piece etc. You should try a few things before you get roped into 300+ episode long thing. 

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.