28 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm headed there in March for a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if any of you have ever been or want to be. What should I definitely check out when I get there? Is there anything I should know?

I'm very, very excited. This will be my first time leaving Canada.

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Normandy is pretty cool, it's actually a grotty part of France in my opinion but the beaches of course are very important. Dieppe is fairly nice in general, as so far as I'm aware you'd want to head to Lyon too because it's gorgeous, as is most of the south of France. Paris, is of course fantastic, especially if you've got a special someone to go with. ;) I've nae been to the capital yet but it's on my to-do list. Have fun, any places you're going to en particulare?

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Those sound pretty cool, Lyon looks beautiful. I will have fun, and I'm definitely going to Paris for about half of the time, and Rome after that.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

I'm jel, I've never been to Italy, I'd love to travel from north to south. Milan to Calabria or something.

#5 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

Oh gosh, me too. I want to travel all over.

I really, really want to go to New Zealand, and to Germany.

#6 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

Just don't go to East Berlin, it's a shit hole. The Reichstag is cool though.

#7 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

What's wrong with it, exactly?

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

Because it's ex-eastern bloc, there's a lot of really dull, grotty Communist architecture, a lot of it is dilapidated and uninspired but it's also an area of wealth inequality to this day. Western Berlin is nicer.

#9 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

Huh, sounds pretty shady. o:

#10 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:21 AM

There's just not a huge amount to see, imo. I visited it for history studies and I saw very little that stood out as awe inspiring. We didn't go to W.Berling much but what we could see look nicer.

#11 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Alright, I appreciate the knowledge!

#12 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Here to help. *tips hat*

#13 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

If you can get to Rennes or ... Dammit, what is that goddamn place up north... ST. MALO! It's touristy as hell, but worth the trip.
I have fallen heartily out of love with Paris, but I probably just need to go back.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#14 MrSandman

MrSandman

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

France is filled with history, but the french are just super rude. And they will hate you right away if you can't speak french. They will ignore you and even if they understand english they will never speak it, because they still hate the english. And what ever you do, don't drive a car in france or Italy, they can't drive what so ever. There are no rules, just drive into what ever is in the way, and sound the horn every 0,5 second. Paris is cool and Rome is a must.

#15 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm gonna say that that was a hell of a lot of generalizations about an entire population. I have not found the French to be rude to English-speakers specifically at all. I mean, some are, but it's kind of expected in Europe. In general, if you're polite, they will be too. 

In terms of driving, though, that is completely true. If you can avoid it, don't drive anywhere.

#16 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

I didn't realise more than 60 million people were exactly the same. Better make sure I never go to continental Europe again.

I'll just stay in England where we all live in castles and eat scones with our horrible teeth.

#17 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Here to help. *tips hat*

:)

If you can get to Rennes or ... Dammit, what is that goddamn place up north... ST. MALO! It's touristy as hell, but worth the trip.
I have fallen heartily out of love with Paris, but I probably just need to go back.

I don't mind touristy at all, and how is that? You've been there too much, or you've just heard some unsettling things?

France is filled with history, but the french are just super rude. And they will hate you right away if you can't speak french. They will ignore you and even if they understand english they will never speak it, because they still hate the english. And what ever you do, don't drive a car in france or Italy, they can't drive what so ever. There are no rules, just drive into what ever is in the way, and sound the horn every 0,5 second. Paris is cool and Rome is a must.

Well, the others have already gone after you about the generalizations, so I won't touch that. But as far as rude French folks go, I think I'll be fine - I can speak pretty fluent French.

And I'll certainly watch out when crossing the street. c:

#18 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

I don't mind touristy at all, and how is that? You've been there too much, or you've just heard some unsettling things?

With Paris... The thing is, Paris is kind of its own country in terms of culture. French-France and Parisian-France are two very different places. I mean, then again, so are Normandy and the Champagne region, but still. I dunno, I guess my experiences when I was there weren't as awesome as they could have been, but if I were given a choice between a week in Paris or a week somewhere else, I wouldn't pick Paris.

#19 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ahh, I understand then. I hope that if you do go back sometime, your experience is a little more pleasant than the last. :)

#20 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm certain it would be. Not a whole lot is pleasant when you're seventeen, anyway.