75 replies to this topic

#21 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I would not be able to play L4D with a controller, also its on PCs (and waaaaaaaaay cheaper).
The above mentioned also has a PS3 version. Should anyone be interested, here is a list of exclusive titles on the 7th gen-consoles.
http://en.wikipedia....nth_generation)
Posted Image

#22 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'm weird, I kinda prefer playing shooters on console.

I mean, I get that a mouse is a superior controller for shooters, but I'm pretty used to console controllers, and consoles have the advantage that games released for console fit neatly within the capabilities of the hardware. I don't think I've ever owned a computer that was actually good enough to play the games I wanted to play on reasonable settings.

So especially multiplayer games like L4D and Team Fortress... the graphics hardware being not-quite-good-enough is basically a death sentence, because other people have spent much more money on their PC's, and they don't experience the same latency and graphical lagging that I do. I cannot even begin to explain how frustrating my five minutes on Team Fortress 2 were on PC.

So yeah, I'm a cheapskate. ~shrug~
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#23 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

That's a pretty nifty list. >.>

Jazz - I played a lot of shooters on my 64, it was a lot of fun with that controller setup. I liked playing a lot of rpgs and such on consoles though, to me it was always more relaxing to sit back and do things with a controller, versus having to sit in my computer chair (though it is nice) and use they keyboard and mouse.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#24 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

I am cheap either that is why I do not own any consoles (apart of my PS2 and the 3DS XD).

Actually when I played Wolfenstein 3D (whoops I am not supposed to play this game since its banned here... :D ) I used a controller for a while, the digital oldschool joypad type of controller. But I quickly switched to keyboardcontrols because it was way easier. However I find 3rd Person games better with a controller.
Posted Image

#25 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

What the government don't know won't hurt them. >.>

I haven't played a 3rd person shooter in a really long time, but yeah, I think they were great with a controller.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#26 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Actually, I just found this article which explains my position on PC gaming exactly, if you're interested: http://extra-credits...core-pc-gaming/
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#27 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I think my idea of what an average computer is, and what's true is pretty far off based on that article.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#28 Farnsworth

Farnsworth

Byte

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

ps3 is my choice
its got alot of decent games for it
not to mention by now the controler fits in my hand like a glove
if you like fighting games pick up blazblue
rpgs the tales series in my opinion is better than final fantasy
Posted Image

#29 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Explain more on the tales series please. :)
nmjUGDL.jpg

#30 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

your best bet is just to pull up exclusive lists and pick that way. sony killed other os so that selling point is moot -_-

i've played them both. neither is bad. and remember, upgrading your hard drive for the xbox will be more expensive since they're proprietary hardware.

#31 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed about that, I wanted to try and boot linux on one. >.>

Really? I thought there was a work around using a regular SATA drive and just cloning the OS.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#32 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

they're (microsoft) really not too happy when you modify the console and try to use their live service. >.> it's altering the xbox in a way that's not supported. not saying they'll catch you quickly, or at all, but the risk is there
i may also be bitter since i'm used to early versions of the xbox. only one i've been around is matt's, and there is no hdmi output and a 20g hdd, 14 of which you can use.

not to mention, unless this has been fixed recently, you'll only be able to use an amount of space that is used by a proprietary hdd, since you'll need to copy a .bin file to make it read the thing.

#33 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ah, well that's balls good sir.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#34 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

indeed

*bubble pipe*

#35 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

:lol:
nmjUGDL.jpg

#36 Aresem

Aresem

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMichigan, the really white part outside Detroit. You know what, Detroit, let's say Detroit.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Frankly, I'm not too much in to console gaming. But I have a 360, it's my favorite of this generation of consoles. I use it to get my Rocksmith on and play Call of Duty every so often.

Steam over anything.
Steam: Captainakuto

360: Captain Akuto

My signature makes all the ladies moist.

#37 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

Steam is a great system. I just like laying back and relaxing a bit sometimes though.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#38 eatsteakandcry

eatsteakandcry

Byte

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Get a PS3, it's definitely worth the money, sick graphics and the consoles are very light and handy too but be prepared for the pricing of the games, they are rather expensive.

#39 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

The going rate for a new game is still around $50-$60 right? I know that's what it is for computers.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#40 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

for a brand new game, yeah. but you can cheat on console games and buy used, too.