Photo

Bonjour! Hola! As-salamu alaykum! (Languages)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Epic?OhYes

Epic?OhYes

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationI should post more.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I was wondering if anyone else on this forum is really intrigued by languages. I mean, they are soo interesting. The only other person I really know who also finds the way people talk and cultures really cool is my sister haha, maybe since our parents had us travelling since we were really young. Does anyone else share this trait with me? I was wondering if you guys wanted to talk and stuff! Right now I speak English (Duh.) , and a bit of French. I really want to learn Farsi, Wolof, and Arabic. I study Korean alongside my French so I am going to focus on those for now though. lol

30c3cwj.gif

^ My future Wife

WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.

#2 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

• Members
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationThey're coming to take me away..

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Yes, i do.

I tried learning spanish and french but they didnt take.

I would love to learn another language one day, and id really enjoy learning sign language.

ΝΙΨΟΝ ΑΝΟΜΗΜΑΤΑ ΜΗ ΜΟΝΑΝ ΟΨΙΝ

obazNZl.gif

#3 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yes, i do.

I tried learning spanish and french but they didnt take.

I would love to learn another language one day, and id really enjoy learning sign language.

Bullshit, 90% of the spanish I know is because of you.

#4 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

I was thinking about names the other day ad how strange they are when you take a step back.

We all have a short series of sounds that are assigned to us specifically so others can get our attention of make reference to us.

I do want to learn at least one other language at some point in my life.

Also, at a glance I thought you said you were learning Krogan along side your French.

I got super excited for a moment.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#5 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

I wish, I'm having so much trouble getting started with Japanese. Language is definitely not my strong suit, if my grammar didn't make the obvious.

#6 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm a huge sucker for languages. I love hearing native speakers talk to each other, even if I have no idea what's going on.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#7 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

I love language, I wish I did better in my language exams so I could have studied it at university.

I'd really like to learn Spanish but I am terrible at teaching myself, might look into getting Rosetta stone. Japanese is another one and Mandarin.

I have a friend who speaks Gujarati and his grandmother only spoke that (no English) so it was fascinating to hear them talk what sounded like a hundred words a second back and forth.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I love language, I wish I did better in my language exams so I could have studied it at university.

I'd really like to learn Spanish but I am terrible at teaching myself, might look into getting Rosetta stone. Japanese is another one and Mandarin.

I have a friend who speaks Gujarati and his grandmother only spoke that (no English) so it was fascinating to hear them talk what sounded like a hundred words a second back and forth.

That is one of the biggest things I noticed about languages other than English.

For the most part they speak so much faster than English speakers, especially the romance languages.

Spanish is so goddamn speedy I have a hard time keeping up with anyone speaking it.

By the time I figure out what was said they are already on to the next conversation.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#9 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

I speak English, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, and some Spanish/French from school.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#10 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

I've heard that to non-English speakers that we sound like snakes. Since our language has so many s sounds and we draw out all the sounds so much.

#11 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

For the most part they speak so much faster than English speakers, especially the romance languages.

Spanish is so goddamn speedy I have a hard time keeping up with anyone speaking it.

By the time I figure out what was said they are already on to the next conversation.

Apparently the idea is to pick out individual words you know and contextualise the sentence then base your reply on that. When I've been to France that's the only way I've managed to converse with locals and even then it doesn't always work.

#12 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Which is why Latin was so interesting. It's spoken very slowly, each letter over enunciated. This is because the sentences have no syntax, each verb conjugated, each noun declined. Means order nothing word.

Latin is dead for a reason. It did teach me a lot about English, and made learning other languages easier.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#13 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Apparently the idea is to pick out individual words you know and contextualise the sentence then base your reply on that. When I've been to France that's the only way I've managed to converse with locals and even then it doesn't always work.

France would be easy.

Just repeat "Omelette du fromage", and the French people who are cool enough will get it and take care of you.

If they don't get it just say "Omelette au fromage" then smile and hope they bring you an omelette.

I worked for a handful of years on a farm who employed only Mexican migrant workers, so I learned enough Spanish that I can flub my way through understanding a fair bit. Speaking anything back is not so easy, unless it is a simple greeting, a farewell, or produce/farming relating words.

I know these words:

Verde

Rojo

Blanco

Negro

Naranja

Mierda

Polla

Pinchi

Poquito

Grande

Calabaza (though they usually said calabazita, which I assume is the feminine version)

Mazimo de cinco

Mañana

Hola

Como estas

Bueno

Trebajo

Caliente

Frio

Congelacion

Barro

Dia

Noche

Mariquita

And the most important one is "no entendio", which is "I don't understand".

I make a point of learning how to say "I don't understand" and "how do you say" in as many languages as possible, just in case.

I've heard that to non-English speakers that we sound like snakes. Since our language has so many s sounds and we draw out all the sounds so much.

I have noticed that sometimes Spanish sounds like a typewriter.

Fast and deliberate.

I like the idea of we English speakers sounding like snakes.

Snakes are pretty damn cool.

I speak English, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, and some Spanish/French from school.

Holy balls.

I knew you spoke a few different languages, but four and some of two others is pretty impressive.

And here I am only knowing one.

I know it exceedingly well, but I still feel under skilled compared to people who speak multiple languages.

And then some other random swear words/insults.

So if I am ever talking to someone about those things, I can manage.

#14 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Is English not your first language, Danico?

And Latin is great I agree, it just throws SVO right out the window. Shops went I to! From Catholicism I know a few Latin phrases but it's all religious bull shit. En nomine padris, et filli, et spiritus sancti, Amen.

#15 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

I collect languages like pocket change. LOVE it.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#16 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Relevant, an Italian song sung as if they were speaking English. Because why the fuck not?

nmjUGDL.jpg

#17 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Holy balls.

I knew you spoke a few different languages, but four and some of two others is pretty impressive.

And here I am only knowing one.

I know it exceedingly well, but I still feel under skilled compared to people who speak multiple languages.

And then some other random swear words/insults.

So if I am ever talking to someone about those things, I can manage.

It's not really that impressive. I learned Japanese because I want to move there eventually, I can pretty much pass for native. Mandarin and Korean I learned mainly through music and TV dramas, but I own multiple books on each. Spanish and French are just what I learned from school, which isn't much.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#18 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Relevant, an Italian song sung as if they were speaking English. Because why the fuck not?

Primus, is that you?

#19 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

It's not really that impressive. I learned Japanese because I want to move there eventually, I can pretty much pass for native. Mandarin and Korean I learned mainly through music and TV dramas, but I own multiple books on each. Spanish and French are just what I learned from school, which isn't much.

Yeah I hate to break it to you, but that is no small feat.

Just as a small man is envious of a large man's strength, I am envious of your brain's capabilities.

#20 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Is English not your first language, Danico?

And Latin is great I agree, it just throws SVO right out the window. Shops went I to! From Catholicism I know a few Latin phrases but it's all religious bull shit. En nomine padris, et filli, et spiritus sancti, Amen.

No, English is is my native, and I'm damn glad for it. The more I learn about foreign languages, the more I see how overly complicated English is. Miracle and all that. French is easiest, and languages like Japanese that aren't descendant from Latin seem strange.

I meant writing-wise. Grammer is much easier, word form and tense and such.

As a field trip, my class once went to a mass held entirely in Latin. It was pretty cool, but I wouldn't like the stuff shoved down my throat.

France would be easy.

Just repeat "Omelette du fromage", and the French people who are cool enough will get it and take care of you.

If they don't get it just say "Omelette au fromage" then smile and hope they bring you an omelette.

Love it. Love every thing about it. This was the first bit of French I picked up as a child.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store