24 replies to this topic

#1 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

So, I am a noobie here and I never know what to write in these things!

My name is Ilona (pronounced like ee-low-na  say the na like na in the batman song!), and I am 28 and currently living in NY. I work for an online t-shirt company doing customer service/secretarial/photography/warehouse work(yay for being able to wear t-shirts and jeans to work) and also attend night classes for Medical assisting.

Needless to say, I don't really have much free time lately. I enjoy playing Video games (rpg's are my favorite - Currently Skyrim and D3. I will always have a soft spot for Earthbound, Mystic Quest, Bubble Bobble and Arkanoid). I also love to read and write poetry (shh, don't laugh too much). Music makes me very happy, and I'm still hoping to learn to play either the guitar, piano or saxophone one day. 

I love Dr. Who, Firefly, LOTR, BSG, Game of Thrones, etc. I wish there were more time in the day, because sometimes with my schedule I get behind on things.

I have dreams of cosplaying as Dark Phoenix at Comic Con, but I can't sew to save my life. 

I like random things and enjoy listening to people ramble about their passions (it's a beautiful thing), and like deep conversations. 

You'd think living in a big city would mean that it would be easy to meet a lot of people with similar interests as you, but I'm pretty introverted and it takes me awhile to open up around most people. 

I'm hoping to make some new friends, even if it's only online. ^^

Anyone else live in NY?

...anyone feel like walking through Mordor?

Anyway, say hi if you'd like. 

YYXNUYi.jpg

#2 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Welcome to the forum!

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

Banananana Ilona!

Welcome to the forum. :)

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

I love you omg. Welcome to the forums, Ilo~

Also, I'm from PR, but I'll be moving to NY some time next year, so boom. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#5 HelloNerdySam

HelloNerdySam

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hello, welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here myself.

giphy.gif

#6 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks, everyone! 

Yay, for loooove! Krys, have you been to NY before? If you're moving around the city, I can tell you some random places to check out. :)

YYXNUYi.jpg

#7 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Welcome to the forums. :D

Lp5M62Z.gif

#8 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't know, listing Mystic Quest as one of your favorite games is a pretty big red flag. I mean, Earthbound and old Bust a Move, sure. But that game was nothing but plot and weird gameplay.

As I wrote this I reconsidered my words. I do have fond memories of that game. Sure, Chrono Trigger and FF6 was a hundred times better, but the game wasn't worthless. And, in fact, I think it played a whole lot like a novel. And I can appreciate that.

Firefly is awesome, Game of Thrones if we're talking books. And I have a newfound respect/love/fetish for cosplay after attending a nerd convention and seeing all of the catgirls. Also, melon bread. Why the fuck do we not have that in the US. That stuff is delectiable. I digress.

Sure, we might just be friends.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#9 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Haha! I've gotten into some serious conversations about that game. I completely understand if you don't like it. It's just heavily nostalgic for me. Now, if someone goes and attacks Earthbound? That's just mighty personal. :}

Yes, I have read all of the GOT books thus far, and seems as if many people gave up/got bored on book 3. I admit it was hard to remember some of the characters with all the going back and forth, but I enjoy that it can be a bit all over the place. So many series have their plot twists, but in a sense I can kind of appreciate getting attached to a character and having them be killed off suddenly. I'm not saying I enjoy it, but I like that it's so different. I enjoy the series too, of course... but there's always something more satisfying about a book. 

As for melon bread, they have to have that at some stores. I'm going to go on a quest here to find it. 

I could always use more friends of the nerdy persuasion. This young padawan has much to learn yet.

YYXNUYi.jpg

#10 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Welcome.

Nerds are quite abundant here, so you should have no problem finding new strange internet friends.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#11 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

Well if I played devil's advocate I'd say that Earthbound's one serious flaw is its combat system. Which offers very little satisfying feedback and not much actual action.

Of course the game does everything else almost perfectly so it really makes up for it. Definitely one of my favorites on the SNES (which is probably my favorite system.) still haven't finished Mother 3 though, which is a shame because I always enjoy it when I start, just can never find the time to get through it before getting distracted. :/

#12 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I can agree with you there, Doctor. Quite repetitious, it is. I just spent many hours and not sleeping when I was little trying over and over to beat it. My mom wouldn't buy it for me, so I had to keep renting it from blockbuster to play over and over. I remember doing the same for Mario Rpg. 

I had an snes and snes/nes combo system, but my kitty knocked over the snes, and my ex has my snes/nes combo system. Right now I just have my 360 and Ds, with my gaming pc in the grave.  I haven't gotten the chance to play Mother 3, at all. Lucky you! :)

YYXNUYi.jpg

#13 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

I coudln't get into 3. It just didn't have the same charm the first two did. Also, where's my meth-cooking dad who rewards me for beating woodland critters with a baseball bat? What's the point of crippling neighborhood dogs if my father doesn't deposit 3$ into my paypal?

Did like the random dinosaurs, though. That was fun. Early season DBZ-ish.

#14 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well I don't speak Japanese, so there is no 'legal' way to play Mother 3 for me. But that never stopped me before!

I coudln't get into 3. It just didn't have the same charm the first two did. Also, where's my meth-cooking dad who rewards me for beating woodland critters with a baseball bat? What's the point of crippling neighborhood dogs if my father doesn't deposit 3$ into my paypal?

Did like the random dinosaurs, though. That was fun. Early season DBZ-ish.

Wait, you thought Mother 1 had charm? I mean it had its quirkiness, like the part with the teleporting baby. But over all it was pretty much the same game as Earthbound and Earthbound did everything infinitely better.

#15 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I look at the console it came out on. Teleporting baby+NES=Charm. It was a cool idea, with the psychological horror and all that. Earthbound was weird, Mother was creepy. You ever play Monster Party? Gameplay wasn't great, but it was weird as hell in an adorable way.

Not that 3 wasn't good, I just couldn't put more than a few hours into it. I really don't play games a whole lot anymore. I got Ni No Kuni a few weeks ago, played for three days, and haven't picked up the controller since.

#16 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

I never said anything about the NES, in fact I love games like Monster Party and Ghoul School. Just wasn't that impressed by Earthbound 0/Mother

#17 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thanks, everyone! 

Yay, for loooove! Krys, have you been to NY before? If you're moving around the city, I can tell you some random places to check out. :)

Actually, I've only ever been to NY once, in my entire 20 years of life. I plan to visit it next year after I visit Europe, but it's all in due time. I'd love if you did tho, that'd be awesome c: 

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#18 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

I'll probably be living here for a few more years, as I kind of have dreams of moving to New Zealand and living in the movie set Shire they built. 

A girl can dream. Sigh.

YYXNUYi.jpg

#19 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

Is this where Rob comes in and invites you to live in his mud hut and blow on his dijurdo?

Spoiler

#20 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Isn't that just an Aussie thing? Hahaha

YYXNUYi.jpg