6 replies to this topic

#1 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

So I'm learning Python as my second programming language, so far so good. It's a really cool language, there's really nothing you cant do with it.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#2 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

I often model programming languages as toolsets for the programmer to build programs.  The libraries available are specific implementations--prototypes or building materials--used to make the work easier for the programmer.  Coupled with the free ideology of language libraries, this makes for a very fast development stream.  Alas, in Python's case (as with many interpreted languages), this comes at a cost.

Consider a carpenter who has been building boats for his entire life.  Considered a master at marine machinery, she has gained respect and fame in the carpentry world.  This affords her a certain authority.

Unfortunately, humans afford authority in broad strokes, and if the carpenter suddenly decided to build a car by slapping wheels on a boat frame, many may adopt this idea quickly because of the clout that the carpenter has attained throughout years of work--despite this idea being foolish from the get-go for many implementations.

The same happens with many libraries, interfaces, and implementations in the programming scene.  Tools that people are familiar with become foundations for entirely different solutions to programming questions, and this is ignored because it works for the time being.

As with many schools of thought, not enough doubt is cast when contentment is common, and people start hammering nails with spanners.  JavaScript has proven that.

You can do whatever you want with almost any language.  That never means that you should. 

#3 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I've been searching for the past 5 minutes to prove that the above guy just copy pasted the post from somewhere else, though I gave up...

Seems a bit odd to write that much, just because I'm too lazy to do it :P

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#4 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Python is one of those languages that I figure I'll learn if I need it for a job. I can't imagine using it over say Java or C on my own time.

#5 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

From what I've heard, python is a lot used in 3D scripting. I might learn it for web-dev, Django looks handy.

userbar.gif

#6 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Isn't Javascripts more common for web development? Though I've heard Python and Javascripts are pretty similar to begin with.

#7 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

Isn't Javascripts more common for web development? Though I've heard Python and Javascripts are pretty simplier to begin with.

Both languages aren't used for the same puproses, I would say. Most of the time, Python is used in order to build frameworks, whereas Javascript is a client-sided language used to create interactions and more user-friendly websites.

userbar.gif