12 replies to this topic

#1 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

So, go is this relatively new language, and I just wanted to know what people thought of it. I'm thinking of learning yet another language. 

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#2 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

looks like Java/C#

#3 user936

user936

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLebanon middle east

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I personally would not bother learning a new language unless it is very well documented, and it would make my life easier somehow. I did not look into this new language(aside from quickly reading wikipedia) but going out on a limb, a new language would not have a big community and a lot of documentation. 

I have tried several times to learn not so well documented languages/frameworks. It was not very rewarding. 

#4 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm interested in trying it, I havent learned a programming language yet so this might be the time.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm interested in trying it, I havent learned a programming language yet so this might be the time.

You'd be better off learning one of the common languages with actual uses. Right now this one has very little documentation, so the things you can do with it without help are limited, and even with help it'd be tough to make anything useful/worth the time.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#6 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

You'd be better off learning one of the common languages with actual uses. Right now this one has very little documentation, so the things you can do with it without help are limited, and even with help it'd be tough to make anything useful/worth the time.

But if I learned this one I would be on the cutting edge of the new wave of programming languages eh? 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#7 user936

user936

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

But if I learned this one I would be on the cutting edge of the new wave of programming languages eh? 

It will mean nothing if other people don't/can't use it. It's like taking the time to learn some old indian language that only 10 living people today know how to speak it... You won't find any good opportunities to use it, it will be difficult to sell your code or find people later on to help you maintain it

Also note that even good programmers would struggle a lot to learn a new poorly documented language. A person new to programming will stand very little chance

#8 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

You'd be better off cutting your teeth on something established,then move to cutting edge stuff.
On another note, I might give lisp a try next, instead of this. Still, it intrigues me (as all new languages tend to).
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#9 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I had heard a little bit about it but this made me want to read more into it.

I think the key piece of this is that the language is born out of a desire/need rather than experimentation and that gives it a huge advantage. I wouldn't adopt it right now - not for a lack of documentation (what google has presented is fine for anyone familiar with programming) but because the compiler is in it's infancy and I have no real need for it.

I think the real beauty of go is creating low level performance software for servers without the clusterfuckery of C/C++ and a bit of javascript/python terseness. We'll see how adoption comes but I wouldn't be too surprised to see this become 50/50 popular, with large large companies adopting and startups/small/medium sized companies not.

#10 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

honestly, without any context on what you are programming, the language really doesn't matter.  Languages are tools.  You're not going to use one tool for everything.  But if your looking for something that is more like duct tape and wd-40, then i would say java.  Since it can run on any platform, single threaded, multi threaded or distributed, you can create a solution for almost any problem..

#11 user936

user936

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

The name "Go" has been coming up more and more for me lately in benchmarks. As it turns out, this is one of the fastest server side languages out there. According to benchmarks, at the very least it is 10 times better than php. So when it matures it would definitely be worth looking into. For now I would much rather use a language where, if something breaks or crashes. I know how to debug

#12 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

php is a script... thus doesnt compile.  if you want performance don't use scripting.

#13 Randall

Randall

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMississippi, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Sounds very interesting but I have a hard time learning any of the newer languages for some unknown reason. I might try it though.

Hunter4408 aka Randall