1 reply to this topic

#1 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

So this has been creating a stir on the internet this weekend. Basically DC has created a contest where artists are to draw Harley Quinn in four different panels of her trying to commit suicide in crazy ways. Which to me is strange. I don't know the character of Harley but I guess she's just so loony that she would do that.

My only problem with the contest is its bad timing, as this week is suicide prevention week, and just the bad taste of drawing pictures of someone trying to kill themselves. However, a lot of the internet is getting upset over the last panel,

"PANEL 4
Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen."

The key word here being naked. People think that the addition of the word naked will have people try to make the scene sexy, therefore sexifying and glorifying suicide. People are so upset about this that they're rallying people to submit images as entries describing how sexist the scene is and insulting DC for the contest.

I don't really get it. I think the contest is in bad taste, but in my opinion people are taking it too far and reading into this a bit too much. What do you think?

Link to contest here: http://www.dccomics.com/node/305151
And link to a reaction: http://pantslesswroc...u-sorry-pack-of

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Again, Ricky Gervais shines through my mind with his words of comedic wisdom.

Just because you are offended, does not mean you are right.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.