• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

...fucking pisses me off. I'm sick of seeing people all supportive of fat people, being all "no you don't need to lose weight, you look great!" or "you're fine as you are, it's their problem if they don't like the way you look!" no, if you are fat you are overweight, if you are overweight you are unhealthy. There is no way around it, you are not at your peak, you are more prone to various illnesses and medical conditions caused by being a "plus size" person.

I don't get it.  It's stupid to even contemplate the belief that being fat is good. I've even seen it compared to gay pride, because apparently being fat is like a sexual preference now.

/rant

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

As long as they're happy, I don't give a shit. That doesn't mean I want to see some chap with his gut hanging out of his shirt wandering around in public.

My mind harkens to a quote my friend once told me: riding a fat chick is like riding a moped: fun until your friends find out.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think it all really depends on a person's body type and how comfortable they are with themselves

Having a little bit of weight on isn't all that bad and the way BMI is done is to be specific for a certain body type
Someone with a lot of muscle could be considered overweight due to BMI so it's highly inaccurate.

But I hear you, people who are unhealthily overweight shouldn't be proud of it, but they shouldn't be felt to feel like shit for being unhealthy either.

Because I can...

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

There was a study today released by scientists suggesting that 1 in 3 overweight people are actually 'healthily overweight' in that they eats roughly the same amount as other people and have a healthy exercise regimen but have a much lower metabolism.

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think it all really depends on a person's body type and how comfortable they are with themselves

Having a little bit of weight on isn't all that bad and the way BMI is done is to be specific for a certain body type
Someone with a lot of muscle could be considered overweight due to BMI so it's highly inaccurate.

But I hear you, people who are unhealthily overweight shouldn't be proud of it, but they shouldn't be felt to feel like shit for being unhealthy either.

pretty much this.

If you're overweight and okay with it that's your perogative.

I've even seen it compared to gay pride, because apparently being fat is like a sexual preference now

I don't know why it would be so farfetched for someone to be happy being overweight. It's funny because, at least for a period of time, gay men were at a much higher risk of aids than straight men. Am I saying they were wrong to be gay or have homosex? No, idgaf, if that's what makes you happy go for it.

Honestly it's funny because you tend to have liberal outlooks but have the close mindedness of a conservative who refuses to see the other side of things. The better-than-thou attitude really rustles my jimmies.

#6 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I don't particularly care about it, I just think it's fucking stupid to actively promote something like that. If you struggle to walk because of your weight, there's a problem and it shouldn't be supported. It should be shown, in no uncertain terms. You are fat, you struggle to walk because you are a fat motherfucker, you are of an unhealthy weight. It shouldn't be oh hey you're fat, that's great! More power to ya big gal!

It's bullshit

LL1Yc5i.gif

#7 Jurahero

Jurahero

Byte

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

In the end every individual has to decide how to life. If it's ok with being "fat", it's alright. Although i agree with you that promoting it's fake beauty image (unless you're into it), consider there is a huge amount of overweight people which appearance is caused by diseases, often monogenetic ones. 

Spoderman_in_Dizguyz_95608080_thumbnail.

#8 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have one problem with fat people and thats is how they bitch about clothes never being marketed to them, but now that they are, and there are so many fat people, sizes are dominated by them, and you can never find your size. 'Trying to find a nice 28 inch waist pair of trousers? Sorry we don't have them but here's a 40 inch pair, I'm sure they'll look fine with a belt.'

#9 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

I don't have a problem with it until they start skinny bashing like "real women have curves" and all that. That bothers the hell out of me.

#10 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

I don't have a problem with it until they start skinny bashing like "real women have curves" and all that. That bothers the hell out of me.

"Tall or short, fat or thin, worship that body! It's the only one you've got!"

Yeah skinny bashing is just as bad as fat bashing.

Because I can...

#11 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm of the simple opinion that a real woman is born with a vagina.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#12 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Some people can't help being the way they are. I mean I have a similar problem, I can't GAIN any weight, and if I do it turns into a beer pot belly. And I disagree some people really look good when they are big. there's a fine line between looking morbidly obese on the brink of death and looking like Melissa McCarthy.

I don't mind people being fat, so long as they're all goods with it. I think there's that expectation within society to look like Hercules or Kim Kardashian before they are deemed "perfect" or "beautiful."

Only a shallow person would judge a fat person negatively..... This is coming from someone who's been a matchstick all their life :S

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#13 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm of the simple opinion that a real woman is born with a vagina.

See, now that I don't know about, 'cause what about transwomen?

Anyway, here in rural New Hampshire, people are routinely enormously obese and unhealthy and un-taken-care-of. People of Wal-Mart, indeed.

It sickens me. I see people with children and a shopping cart full of ramen and Chef Boyardee, and lo and behold, the whole family is grossly obese and unhealthy (not to mention rather unhappy) and I literally can't see straight for rage.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#14 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

I agree, overweight people need to realize that fat rolls are not the curves most people are looking for. But yes, I don't really care about people being overweight or not, thats their issue not mine. The only problem I do have is when I go to an amusement park and see all the really overweight women walking around in really small bikini tops and the short shorts. I do not need to see that much. Stahp.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#15 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

I mean, the core issue of all of this is "stop treating people like shit for things that don't affect you". fat? idgaf. gay? idgaf. purple? idgaf.

#16 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Obese people getting all defensive about not fat people telling them that they should probably lose some weight has always bothered me.

I have been up and down in weight all through high school and every time anyone ever pointed out that I put on some weight and should start working out or stop eating like a goddamn moron, I just nodded in agreement and went on with my day.

I knew I was chubby, all these other people know they are chubby, they have no business getting all huffy when other people point out something that is a fact.

Whether you are offended, or play it off by acting like being obese is fine because everyone is an individual, you are still just making excuses for yourself.

There is nothing light hearted about wreaking havoc on your body and acting like it is a joke.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#17 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Obese people getting all defensive about not fat people telling them that they should probably lose some weight has always bothered me.

TBF I am one of those people

and the only reason why I get bothered with it is because it's everyone and I'm not a dumbass
Most people point it out like I don't know that I need to lose weight rather than less out of concern. It's the tone people say it in that bothers me, not the fact that they're telling me.

Because I can...

#18 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

The problem is overweight people are a strain on everyone else. hospital stays. ambulance (or airlift if you can't fit) all medical costs, and extra wear on infrastructure.

5A5DjRW.gif

#19 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

Wow guys. Anyone seen Mean Bosses?

To be honest it's not a thing that ever bothered me particularly, as long as someone has a healthy weight and can walk without a mobility scooter, it doesn't even necessarily seem unattractive to me. For example, I've got with girls who are skinny/ lighter than me but I've also got with girls that were no doubt heavier than me (which, debatably is not too hard a feat to pull really). Being happy with how you are and having a confident personality is more attractive, imho, than being slender and constantly worrying about what you're eating, keeping up bizarre diets and photosynthesising on dates.

#20 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

Wow guys. Anyone seen Mean Bosses?

To be honest it's not a thing that ever bothered me particularly, as long as someone has a healthy weight and can walk without a mobility scooter, it doesn't even necessarily seem unattractive to me. For example, I've got with girls who are skinny/ lighter than me but I've also got with girls that were no doubt heavier than me (which, debatably is not too hard a feat to pull really). Being happy with how you are and having a confident personality is more attractive, imho, than being slender and constantly worrying about what you're eating, keeping up bizarre diets and photosynthesising on dates.

Oh definitely, and there are some people who look really good with a bit of fat.

I think a lot of this comes from tumblr social justice culture, where offending or criticising anyone, even just a little is a huge crime and you're suddenly a piece of shit for doing it.

And I do understand that I will never understand the abuse that obese people go through, never are obese people on TV or movies without either being on TV for being obese(shows like the biggest loser) or have that be a part of their whole character (fat Amy and the like). They are constantly being told to watch their weight or that they're fat and will never find someone to love. Our whole society is about being thin and we will never let fat people forget that they're fat. Their body is only a work in progress, they should be always trying to lose weight to be thin.

But I don't think backlashing and suddenly forgetting the health problems that come with being bigger is the right thing to do. A Caucasian female only needs a waist size above 35 inches to be at higher risk for heart disease. Definitely be proud of who you are, don't let the haters get to you, but don't be delusional and think that being overweight doesn't take its toll on the body.