89 replies to this topic

#81 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'm a Christian, been a bit of a debater in my past. But of late I've simply had better things to do than argue the beginnings of the universe. I'll gladly share what I believe if someone is interested but I have homework and such to do. 

The rape verse, I'll give a short poke at my own opinion, lacking any research. This is strictly off the top of my head.
 At that time an unmarried woman was likely in her early teens, perhaps as young as 12. Seeing as a woman lacking her virginity who HASN'T been widowed was not marriageable, a man who rendered her so would be forced to take responsibility for her well being.

At the time a woman wasn't "property" strictly speaking, she was considered a "charge" of her father followed by her husband. Her father wasn't expected to keep care of her for her entire life. The arranged marriage system(which seriously worked out better than it got credit for, despite being rather crap) was broken in this case and the least disruptive way to handle the problem was to make the rapist take responsibility for the life he'd shattered.  

I wouldn't say it makes as much sense in a society like ours, but then again Deuteronomy wasn't aimed at gentiles anyway. This particular bank of commandments, as I recall, was specifically for the Hebrew people for the purpose of setting them apart.  

Rather refrain from starting a full blown discussion, starting a heavy schedule this week. Just wanted to address that particular point as I had some inkling as to an answer.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

#82 Benihime

Benihime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • LocationDee. Eff. Dub.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

I say that because I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions.
I'm not going to debate religion, because you need to do what feels right to you.
And I mean feels right by what your gut or your instincts tell you to do.

And yes, I'm female.
image-54.jpg

#83 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm a Christian, been a bit of a debater in my past. But of late I've simply had better things to do than argue the beginnings of the universe. I'll gladly share what I believe if someone is interested but I have homework and such to do. 

The rape verse, I'll give a short poke at my own opinion, lacking any research. This is strictly off the top of my head.
 At that time an unmarried woman was likely in her early teens, perhaps as young as 12. Seeing as a woman lacking her virginity who HASN'T been widowed was not marriageable, a man who rendered her so would be forced to take responsibility for her well being.

At the time a woman wasn't "property" strictly speaking, she was considered a "charge" of her father followed by her husband. Her father wasn't expected to keep care of her for her entire life. The arranged marriage system(which seriously worked out better than it got credit for, despite being rather crap) was broken in this case and the least disruptive way to handle the problem was to make the rapist take responsibility for the life he'd shattered.  

I wouldn't say it makes as much sense in a society like ours, but then again Deuteronomy wasn't aimed at gentiles anyway. This particular bank of commandments, as I recall, was specifically for the Hebrew people for the purpose of setting them apart.  

Rather refrain from starting a full blown discussion, starting a heavy schedule this week. Just wanted to address that particular point as I had some inkling as to an answer.

Yeah, you said what I was attempting and failing at trying to say.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#84 MrSandman

MrSandman

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I believe in what I see, most of the time. And in that case, I really do not believe in any kind of religion. They are so obviously made up. They have worked as a powertool to get people control throughout history. It always will and be a money and powermachine. Older religions where more simple and made up of things they saw. Like the sun god, seagod, stormgod, god of war and so on.

#85 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

I am an apatheist. In "meh" we trust.

#86 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

I am an apatheist. In "meh" we trust.

Though I am quite confident in the lack of any sort of deity being in existence, I have never had any issues with apatheism.

The world is what it is until it is something else.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#87 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yeah see, I get that. But it still seems like a horrible idea. As an additional point, separating the Bible into parts aimed at Jews and parts aimed at Christians seems off to me. I mean, if that's the case, why bother putting them in the same book? And in general, as you say, it makes no sense in our society. Yet people still believe in it, and that is something that disturbs me about religion. It preaches things that are morally reprehensible nowadays, but we smile and nod because "times were different"?

I'm of the opinion that religious texts need to be rewritten completely; they're based on outdated systems and moral compasses that just don't fit our world anymore. And rather than trying to change the world to fit the belief, why don't we change the belief to fit the world?

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#88 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

You don't need to re-write them or make them contemporary, they're supposed to be the word of god. The fact that the word of GOD is now outdated is to me, proof that even if there is one out there, there's no point in worshipping it because it's either bored of us, impersonal or a prick. Or all three.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#89 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

Though I am quite confident in the lack of any sort of deity being in existence, I have never had any issues with apatheism.

The world is what it is until it is something else.

That is the SMARTEST fucking thng I've ever heard anyone say about religion EVER.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#90 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

And rather than trying to change the world to fit the belief, why don't we change the belief to fit the world?

That's way easier said than done. Religions have different churches, synagogues ect because not everyone believes the exact same thing. Everyone has different takes on scriptures and what not, and thats why there are a selection of different places to worship, because each church, synagogue, ect preaches/teaches a different way and has different variants on scripture. So basically the biggest part of religion is finding the church/synagogue thats teaching you like the best.

So in other words, everyone is changing their beliefs, all you have to do is find the place that you believe has the best and most accurate teaching/preaching.  

Lp5M62Z.gif