89 replies to this topic

#21 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

I guess I'm not entirely sure what I believe nor do I really care. I don't know if there's a life after this, if there's a meaning to all the madness or if there is pure unadulterated nothingness. I guess if there was a god I'm not entirely sure that I'd be happy to meet him; a quote comes to mind from the walls of a concentration camp gas chamber, scratched by nail (into concrete, mind you), something along the lines of "if there is a god he must answer to me".

What I do know, though, is I'm in existence for now and that I should enjoy it while it lasts; the existence or non-existence of a deity doesn't change that. 

I see what your saying, it would make life easier, and the world a better place to live if everyone wasnt so caught up being judgemental about religion and other things like that.

So I guess your more of a live in the moment guy?

Lp5M62Z.gif

#22 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I used to be a Catholic.

Now I'm an atheist.

I disagree with organised religion, think it's all a big sham and a whole load of brain-washing that does more harm than good.

In some ways I agree, a lot of Catholic mass's and things are more of a sham than actualy religion.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#23 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

It doesn't matter about the individual sect, Catholicism, Shi'ites, Sunnis, Orthodox Jews, Eastern Jews, Vaishnavism Hinduism, they're all different faces of one big oppressive giant, in my books. Whilst I believe that no one should be persecuted for their beliefs, and a religious person has just as much right to practice their faith as I do to breath, I don't like religion.

Note, importantly, that I say religion, and not religious people.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#24 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

It doesn't matter about the individual sect, Catholicism, Shi'ites, Sunnis, Orthodox Jews, Eastern Jews, Vaishnavism Hinduism, they're all different faces of one big oppressive giant, in my books. Whilst I believe that no one should be persecuted for their beliefs, and a religious person has just as much right to practice their faith as I do to breath, I don't like religion.

Note, importantly, that I say religion, and not religious people.

Thats fair enough, I see how you believe that.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#25 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Well why not? I mean I believe everyone had they're own choice in what to believe. Also, by believing in Christianity I have something to hope in and know (to me) is real. I honestly could never be an Atheist because I would always be wondering if there was something more powerful than me, or some diety that put us all here, and I've found all those answers in Christianity and honestly I do just believe what it says.

Question (not trying to be belittling or anything). What is your opinion on the aspects of Christianity that are downright offensive, such as rape victims being forced to marry their rapists (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)?

I find many Christians who use the Bible as a way to ignore or argue against things tend to ignore the parts that don't fit their beliefs, which in my opinion would not make them "true" Christians. After all, the Bible is supposedly the word of God himself; ignoring any part of it is surely an affront to him.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#26 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Question (not trying to be belittling or anything). What is your opinion on the aspects of Christianity that are downright offensive, such as rape victims being forced to marry their rapists (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)?

I find many Christians who use the Bible as a way to ignore or argue against things tend to ignore the parts that don't fit their beliefs, which in my opinion would not make them "true" Christians. After all, the Bible is supposedly the word of God himself; ignoring any part of it is surely an affront to him.

I'm honestly not the best person to ask since in Christian standards I'm a very new Christian. But my guess (dont take my word for this or anything) is that they say the victim should marry the rapist because in the Bible marriage is a gift from God, and part of marriage is after your married your allowed to have sex/intercourse however you wanna say it. So I'm guessing it says they have to get married now is because the rapist took the woman/girls virginity which is part of marriage (a gift from God). 

Maybe that doesn't make sense at all, but I didn't even know about that scripture until you told me so thats my spur of the moment guess on it. Hope it helped shin a new light on it. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#27 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Your description just makes it sound like an easy way for a man to get the wife he wants, instead of whomever he would otherwise have an arranged marriage to.

5A5DjRW.gif

#28 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Your description just makes it sound like an easy way for a man to get the wife he wants, instead of whomever he would otherwise have an arranged marriage to.

I forcefully penetrated you, therefore, you must be subservient to me for the remainder of your life or be cast into hell.

#29 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I see what your saying, it would make life easier, and the world a better place to live if everyone wasnt so caught up being judgemental about religion and other things like that.

So I guess your more of a live in the moment guy?

I don't know if I'd say that necessarily, I just don't see the existence or non-existence of a deity having any sort of impact on my life in its current form (the only life that I know for certain will exist).

#30 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Thats true, but like I said I dont have a good answer. That was just what I had off the top of my head. Plus back in those days things like that immortality didn't happen so much, so thats one of the reasons I gave the answer I did. So when immorality did happen, that law was kind of their fix for it, or something. But I dont know, if you guys want a better answer you would have to talk to a pastor.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#31 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't know if I'd say that necessarily, I just don't see the existence or non-existence of a deity having any sort of impact on my life in its current form (the only life that I know for certain will exist).

Ah ok, I see.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#32 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

I believe in science, so, I guess Atheism?

Yeah, I believe that would be Atheism.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#33 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I grew up in a Christian military boarding school from age 12-17.  We attended chapel 3 times a week.  Throughout this time I attempted often to read the bible and pray.  Things worked out and sometimes they didn't.  As I have grown older I have become less attuned to the various christian beliefs.  When I was deployed within an islamic nation, it was a very powerful feeling to see hundreds of people bowing and praying to temple music across the city at the same time.  Also classes I have taken in religion and history led me to understand that religion is an extremely old concept. (http://funki.com.ua/...religions-tree/

At this juncture in my life I would say that I believe in the high level concepts of a hybrid of Taoism and Hinduism.  I believe that there is energy that is not measurable on the electromagnetic spectrum.  Life forces if you will.  I also believe that when you do something "Positive" or "Negative" the energy that you put out causes the same kind of energy to come back to you.  However, sometimes i think that what is positive/negative to one person is not necessarily the same for another.  Hence, you must follow your own path/way.

#34 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Well why not? I mean I believe everyone had they're own choice in what to believe. Also, by believing in Christianity I have something to hope in and know (to me) is real. I honestly could never be an Atheist because I would always be wondering if there was something more powerful than me, or some diety that put us all here, and I've found all those answers in Christianity and honestly I do just believe what it says.

This is the main reason why religion of any kind even exists anymore in my opinion.

Most people are not comfortable with the idea that we are all alone and have no reason to be here.

We can't just be here because we are.

We need a purpose.

Since you are new to Christianity, and if you have no major ties to it, I suggest maybe browsing around and looking at all of your options.

If you are choosing to believe in a higher power, you should be absolutely certain what faith you best fit in to.

Instead of just believing what Christianity says simply because it says it isn't the best way to assign yourself to a religion.

There are a great many similar belief systems that may suite you better than the traditional ones.

Just because you have some sort of faith in a god, does not mean you have to be closed minded about it.

At this juncture in my life I would say that I believe in the high level concepts of a hybrid of Taoism and Hinduism.  I believe that there is energy that is not measurable on the electromagnetic spectrum.  Life forces if you will.  I also believe that when you do something "Positive" or "Negative" the energy that you put out causes the same kind of energy to come back to you.  However, sometimes i think that what is positive/negative to one person is not necessarily the same for another.  Hence, you must follow your own path/way.

This reminds me of a great joke.

If it is within my power to do something bad to another person, I do.

Because if this karma thing is actually happening, they must deserve it or it wouldn't be happening to them.

I am the harbinger of the universe's will.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#35 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

This is the main reason why religion of any kind even exists anymore in my opinion.

Most people are not comfortable with the idea that we are all alone and have no reason to be here.

We can't just be here because we are.

We need a purpose.

Since you are new to Christianity, and if you have no major ties to it, I suggest maybe browsing around and looking at all of your options.

If you are choosing to believe in a higher power, you should be absolutely certain what faith you best fit in to.

Instead of just believing what Christianity says simply because it says it isn't the best way to assign yourself to a religion.

There are a great many similar belief systems that may suite you better than the traditional ones.

Just because you have some sort of faith in a god, does not mean you have to be closed minded about it.

Trust me, I did a great deal of thinking and observing when it came to religion. And Christianity is finally what I have come to believe is true and real. I believe there was a man named Jesus from Nazareth who was crucified for the sins of the world. But thank you for the advice. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#36 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I grew up in a Christian military boarding school from age 12-17.  We attended chapel 3 times a week.  Throughout this time I attempted often to read the bible and pray.  Things worked out and sometimes they didn't.  As I have grown older I have become less attuned to the various christian beliefs.  When I was deployed within an islamic nation, it was a very powerful feeling to see hundreds of people bowing and praying to temple music across the city at the same time.  Also classes I have taken in religion and history led me to understand that religion is an extremely old concept. (http://funki.com.ua/...religions-tree/

I've never really new what Taoism was, or Hinduism for that matter. It's interesting how the use the positive and negative energy concept. But I think the last sentence you said "Hence, you must follow your own path/way." pretty much sums up this whole conversation... :P

Lp5M62Z.gif

#37 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Here's something for Abrahamics to consider:

+ God created man and woman immortal in the Garden of Eden.

+ As such, man and woman would have no need to eat, therefore we would not need any functioning metabolic system.

Ignoring that:

+ God created man and woman immortal, without the need of food, he also directly gave command to protect animals.

+ God created man and woman with the biological apparatus to consume meat and digest it easily.

The conclusion: God expected man and women to break his promise. An omniscient, omnipotent God would have forseen this regardless of these points though. Why then, does he appear so shocked? Moreover, why did he create an entire world almost 13,000km in diameter and then put a tree of corrupting influence smack bang in the same little garden as the only two humans on earth.

What would have happened if man and woman had never eaten the fruit? Considering man and woman were immortal, they would have just procreated and procreated until there were countless trillions of people stacked on top of each other.

Oh yeah, and what's up with that crazy flood? People are pissing me off, so you're all going to die.

And the animals.

Fuck animals.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#38 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Those are questions that I don't have answers to. :P I know those are the same things that pretty much everyone struggles to understand in Christianity.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#39 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

I just read that scripture that you put in here since I had time. And right in the scripture it said that the rapist had to marry the woman because he violated her. 

Lp5M62Z.gif

#40 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm honestly not the best person to ask since in Christian standards I'm a very new Christian. But my guess (dont take my word for this or anything) is that they say the victim should marry the rapist because in the Bible marriage is a gift from God, and part of marriage is after your married your allowed to have sex/intercourse however you wanna say it. So I'm guessing it says they have to get married now is because the rapist took the woman/girls virginity which is part of marriage (a gift from God). 

Maybe that doesn't make sense at all, but I didn't even know about that scripture until you told me so thats my spur of the moment guess on it. Hope it helped shin a new light on it. 

It still appears to justify rape, though. Which is something I cannot forgive. And that's not the only part of the Bible that is horrendous by today's standards, which leads me to draw two conclusions, both equally plausible.

1. Christianity (as seen in the Bible) is false, meaning that people who abide by religion's laws and use them to justify their hatred of people who don't fit in with their clique are just using it as a cover.

-or-

2. Christianity (as seen in the Bible) is true, and all of the so-called believers of today are in fact liars who twist the original implications of the religious text to fit their own lives. Assuming they've even read it. (I've read the Bible cover to cover; I used to be quite devout until my early teens).

I just read that scripture that you put in here since I had time. And right in the scripture it said that the rapist had to marry the woman because he violated her.

Correct. Is that acceptable? If you were raped, would you wish to marry the person who put you through a violent, painful ordeal filled with terror and disgust? It states, he must marry her; she does not have a say in the matter. This is reprehensible. Inhumane, even. Granted, women were not afforded rights in the time which the Bible is set in/written, but that merely lends aid to my earlier point (point 2, because if we worked based on the belief it is all true, then as a woman I should have no rights or say in my own life)

A large part of the scriptures I just flat out don't understand. The binding of Isaac, for example (Genesis 22) is nonsensical. Why exactly did God want to test Abraham's faith by having him kill his own child? Of course, in the end God stopped it, claiming that Abraham's willingness to kill his child showed that he feared God. I don't understand quite to what end this was. 

But one thing that really throws me off the Christianity train is Sumer. The Sumerian Creation Myths predate Christian teachings, yet share some very similar tales. I'm of the opinion that they are more believable, having been created long before the more modern religions.

/rambling

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”