Photo

What is your favourite anime when you are a kid?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

The anime society at the university has been running since the late 80's. We have some members who've been around since the 90's and they have some weird stories about how they got their hands on fansubbed shows. There were actually groups that fansubbed shows and distributed them on VHS tapes. You'd trade them in the mail with other clubs around the country. It was all very hush hush and secretive, like some sort of drug operation, because it was still considered illegal, technically the tapes were bootleg. One member still has a stash of the old VHS tapes somewhere...

#42 jmrobbinswrites

jmrobbinswrites

Byte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

That was a fun story, Sushi Kitten. I don't know of any secret anime' societies like that, so you're pretty lucky. :)

Because you can't just go out and purchase them, I had the fansubs that I bought as master copies and then made watching copies that I could loan to friends and stuff so that I could preserve the VHS tapes as long as possible. I still have them... and a VCR to watch them on. Most of my anime' is on VHS because that was the format I could afford back when I could afford to spend all my paychecks on anime'. Now I stare at Amazon's "Fairy Tail" Blu-Ray collection and keep ALMOST buying it, though when I see anime' sets I like on sale for under $20, I'm much more prone to splurging.

#43 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

I also used to record songs that characters sang in shows with a tape recorder held up to the T.V. speakers so I had the songs whenever I wanted. ^_^ Notably songs from Animaniacs, Super Mario Bros. 3, Whose Line is it Anyway (UK Version)... and other odd and end funny songs that were in shows that I liked.

Ah, now that, I'm used to. I had a friend who literally knows every word to many, many films (complete LotR inclusive) from doing the same thing.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#44 ansoljohn

ansoljohn

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Pokemon, Lupin the III, Shinchan, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Speed Racer and the original DBZ on the original Toonami. I really feel old now.

#45 Noir

Noir

Megabyte

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

While I remember it vaguely, I remember watching Outlaw Star a lot when I was at my cousin's. 

8Kd33GJ.gif

'Cause I know, 
I'll kill my enemies,
When they come.

#46 Launch

Launch

Byte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

As a kid: Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi series, and Outlaw Star.

I still like those (except Pokemon), but now my absolute favorites are The Big O and Paranoia Agent. 

mowing_zpsee914621.gif

#47 PURPLEchibby

PURPLEchibby

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

The best from childhood would have to have been Cardcaptors, I remeber watching that, also Ah My Godess and Ranma

#48 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

I loved Sakura. I read it more than watched it. I was super-in-love with Yukito.

#49 IPOUT

IPOUT

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Kid: Card captor Sakura

Now:Toradora, Gangsta, Kekkai Sensen,Durarara, and probably a bunch more.

#50 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

There's an anime called "Gangsta"?

#51 ChibiPalGal

ChibiPalGal

Byte

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Hyper Police, Slayers, and Case Closed!!!

I never put down signatures. 

#52 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

I've only ever seen like four episodes of Case Closed, but I really enjoyed what I saw.

I fucking miss Pokemon.

#53 epicturtle

epicturtle

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

Favourite anime as a kid: Naruto and its still my favourite now.

#54 sionyagami

sionyagami

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

I grew up on Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Endless Waltz and Seed. Case closed, Lupin the third. There was so many.

#55 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

Endless Waltz had some lit music. I still remember White Reflection so well.

#56 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

Pokemans :)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#57 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

James from Team Rocket is my spirit animal in a way like no one ever was.

#58 Wafflydig501

Wafflydig501

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

When I was a kid I used to watch Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakisho. I liked DBZ better though.

As an adult Gurren Lagann, hands down. I also really like My Hero Academia and One Punch Man.

Hell, I Liked Gurren Lagann enough I got their symbol tattoo'd on my shoulder. As ridiculous as that probably sounds the show did a lot for me. When I began watching it I hadn't yet grown up I mean I was technically 18 but I wasn't grown up yet. I was really shy, timid, not insecure but I had no faith that anything would work out for me in life. That show made me realize that you've got to have faith in yourself and sometimes you've gotta say "fuck it, I've got this", if nothing else through force of will. Within a month of finishing the show I had moved out of my parents house, got a new, better job, bought a car and got the tattoo. I haven't looked back since. Nowadays I'm happily married with a full time job with great pay and benefits and my wife and I intend on having kids next year. I'm in a good place in life right now but without Gurren Lagann making me have those revelations I may not be here right now.

Take away: Draw inspiration from wherever you can, people, books, movies, giant robots smashing the hell out of each other, whatever if it helps you get to where you want to go there is no shame in it! *mic drops*

#59 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

From what I've heard of Gurren Laganm, it is right up my alley.

#60 kainoamakua1990

kainoamakua1990

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Love Hina