• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi! I have a question for all the nerds out there.. Is there a way to  make it so that the keys on my second keyboard are, not remapped like A=Z, but so that in windows the A key on my Second keyboard is known as akey2 or something like that, so that, for an example, if i press a at keyboard 2 when writing something, nothing happens, but, if i start a program i can configure so that akey2 does something?

Its quite hard to explain, but i want the key bindings to be like neutral, be an OWN key instead of another way of writing Z for example?

#2 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

I don't think so. Certain drivers (for example razer) will let you set up macros and such and emulate key presses but I think the way windows handles keyboard input you can't do what you want.

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking to do but there might be an easier solution to your problem.

#3 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have no idea if this will help but I had to translate ASCII to macintosh and back when I was building a mac emulator for my computer. Used Bat files and such but all the would be registry changes were done in the mac shell not windows...

Maybe there is an equivalent in the registry to this where you can grab ASCII from one keyboard and translate it as something different but at the same time and thinking on this, ASCII would be the same on both keyboards the only difference is where it inputs. So the answer would most likely lie in distinguishing 2 USB ports into separate files, maybe translate your second USB into a separate translation scheme. I can give you the ASCII codes to most major keyboards if you want since I have them on file for when I made the emulator. It will show you what each press is in decimal. You cant use the code though since it is written in basilisk and its not completely my code, its someone elses which I was allowed to modify for my own purposes (Didnt like the translation of the windows hotkey and various others so I had to switch a fair few of them). Above all it was also used for quite a specific purpose so you would need someone who would know how to change it into what you need.

I doubt this will help, Im just blowing ideas into the wind incase you find something from one of these silly thoughts.

Spoiler

#4 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I'm not positive but I think the input goes straight to windows then it's dispatched to any applications hooking keyboard input. Windows is directly dispatching the keystroke and I'm fairly certain you couldn't get it to distinguish between two keyboards.

#5 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Doesn't depend on where it comes in on the motherboard? I know you can allocate different PCI inputs for example (Usually through the BIOS though and its usually done for power allocation).

It also reminds me that I was doing work at Uni in game design and when we were making custom inputs for Augmented Reality devices we had drivers that translated any set of binary into anything we wanted, we could make it turn the character, type the letter V, reset the scene, also ignore all keyboard inputs whilst taking any inputs from the device. The set up was premade though and I have no idea if there is a commercial option for this.

#6 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

I believe you would need to write a driver for the keyboard that you want to send a different input to the OS than the current driver windows installs by default when plugging the USB keyboard in.

http://msdn.microsof...e/gg490655.aspx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: key, keyboard, problem, gaming, dual, key 1, key 2, keyboard 2, help, Flight Simulator