21 replies to this topic

#1 Kori

Kori

Byte

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOmicron Persei 8

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Sad to not find any posts about one of the most awesome things to be invented--3D printing! D: Well, maybe there are, but the more the merrier!

Buuuuut, if you haven't heard of this spectacular thing, it's really awesome. They're printing out all sorts of things from guns:

Attached File  3d-gun-640x387.jpg   62.47K   5 downloads

To casts:

Attached File  Cortex-3D-Printed-Cast-2-600x423.jpg   39.8K   5 downloads

And even food! Although, the one thing about food--as great as it sounds, seeing as it's cheaper to make and they can shell it out fast enough to get it to starving countries, and it has a shelf life of 30 years--it's not all that healthy. I mean, it's probably going to be full of vitamins and proteins and stuff, but it's still not very healthy.

C'mon.

A shelf life of 30 years.

But, at any rate, if this is the way to the future, then there are a lot of possibilities that are endless here and it could really help shape the world of tomorrow.

Come join ussssssss. http://www.allyournerd.us

We're totally legit.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllYourNerd

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/AllYourNerd

#2 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't know, wine has a shelf life of longer than 30 year, and we are finding new benefits to that shit every day.

I tend to look at content more than the effects. If it has vitamins, reasonable amounts of fat and carbs, doesn't contain known poisons and doesn't intoxicate those who eat it(without warning). Then I'd say its cool.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

#3 Kori

Kori

Byte

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOmicron Persei 8

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, that's a pretty solid point there, but there's the whole thing of a long-term effect that might be harmful--like the spiel with the whole Monsanto corporation. The GMO product, which is probably what's going to be used to make 3D printed food, has been known to kill animals who eat it simply because they can't digest the food properly, and it kills insects that we need to help grow our food and stuff. So, what will it do to the human body in the long run? I know it's something other countries are testing, except for good ol' 'Murica, and all the US sees is that it's packed full of this good stuff, so how can it be dangerous? Ya know?

Or maybe I'm looking too much into it, haha. But either way, there's nothing wrong with being a little cautiously optimistic.

Come join ussssssss. http://www.allyournerd.us

We're totally legit.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllYourNerd

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/AllYourNerd

#4 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

They're also working on printing organs. They use your fat cells as the building material, and because the new organ is made from your cells you won't have to take medicine to prevent your body from rejecting it. No waiting lists, no organ donors, and no more crappy dramas about someone donating a kidney.

I can see 3D printers becoming a pervasive part of our future.

#5 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Print me a boyfriend.

Then I'll be impressed. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#6 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I kinda hate the name though, If technology develops so basically it can create anything a person wishes (Seems to be headed that way) then it needs a far superior name... Like the Jesus Machine or God's uterus.

Personally I would call it the iMum.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

I love the things that can be done with 3D printers. I haven't been keeping up with the AR lower pictured, but last I heard they could only get 8-9 rounds out of it. Still neat.

The cast looks amazing. I think what I look forward to most is the rapid prototyping ability. Very soon they will be affordable, I can have an idea, draw it in cad, and print it out. I don't have to go searching for what will work, modify things, etc. I have the idea and I can make it happen.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#8 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

I love the things that can be done with 3D printers. I haven't been keeping up with the AR lower pictured, but last I heard they could only get 8-9 rounds out of it. Still neat.

The cast looks amazing. I think what I look forward to most is the rapid prototyping ability. Very soon they will be affordable, I can have an idea, draw it in cad, and print it out. I don't have to go searching for what will work, modify things, etc. I have the idea and I can make it happen.

I imagine anyone in any sort of engineering position would absolutely love to have this power at their disposal.

Hmmmm, they don't seem to manufacture this part I need anymore/at all. I shall just make my own. Technology.

I also read an article somewhere that super science types are applying similar printing technology to essentially printing organs for people.

Obviously it is a little bit more complex, as it has to be a functioning organic human organ and not just a plastic object/system.

Basically they take fat cells from the patient, use that stem cell magic to fabricate the specific type of cells that they need (heart, kidney, stomach lining, etc), then begin assembling the cells layer by layer until they form the organ that they need. Just like that scene in the Fifth Element where they build Leeloo from raw genetic material one slice at a time. Only slower, and less flashy. If they manage to perfect this form of organic printing it would end the waiting lines for people to receive organs from transplant lists, they could just get one made for them from scratch. Also, the new organ would never be rejected by their body, because it is genetically identical to them in every way. It is them.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#9 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Why can't we print people, then? (Not that I want to; that gets weird quickly.)

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#10 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Why can't we print people, then? (Not that I want to; that gets weird quickly.)

I would like to print out women. But with no sense of self respect.2123_pics_13.jpg

#11 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

AH Forniphilia

Never thought I'd see someone bring that up here

They're also working on printing organs. They use your fat cells as the building material, and because the new organ is made from your cells you won't have to take medicine to prevent your body from rejecting it. No waiting lists, no organ donors, and no more crappy dramas about someone donating a kidney.

I can see 3D printers becoming a pervasive part of our future.

I like this idea, I hope it becomes useable in a clinical setting soon, this would cure heart disease and diabetes - at the least

Because I can...

#12 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Seems to be the craze nowadays. I recently went to an Expo and one of the professors was going on about how they are researching for ways to replicate human tissue so that they could potentially PRINT human organs. Really fascinating. But not in our lifetime I say.

However I heed the day when you can 3D print me a PS4 :)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#13 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Seems to be the craze nowadays. I recently went to an Expo and one of the professors was going on about how they are researching for ways to replicate human tissue so that they could potentially PRINT human organs. Really fascinating. But not in our lifetime I say.

See my post above.

I think we will be able to swing it within out lifetime.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#14 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

See my post above.

I think we will be able to swing it within out lifetime.

lol I normally read the first and second posts.

I duno. Scientists have yet to grow/duplicated an organ and successfully transplant it into a patient.... We wont fully know until the humanitarians allow human test subjects lol

I guess it's kind of hard to imagine faxing over a heart via wifi for you. hahaha

I'd say that it might be possible within the next 50-100 year.

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#15 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Not quite as awesome as organs, but 3D printed none the less.

http://www.shapeways...th-decader.html

nmjUGDL.jpg

#16 CthulhuLovesMemes

CthulhuLovesMemes

Byte

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

One of my good friends has a 3d printer at his job and he printed me out a mini TARDIS. I have yet to see it, but it apparently got slightly messed up. He also printed me out a phone case once. 

I dig shapeways. I was going to get a friend of mine this epic Assasin's creed ring that has a gap for a hidden blade, but there weren't any pictures of what it looked like after being printed.

I've heard a lot about the potential for creating organs. SCIENCE! Incredible and slightly terrifying at the same time.

YYXNUYi.jpg

#17 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

Can someone explain to me how exactly the food printing works? Everything else makes sense, I mean a gun or an organ need a specific shape to function properly, and that is what a 3D print is good at, shaping.

However, food, whether it be shapely or a globy mess is still just as edible regardless. So what exactly can a 3D printer do to feed the hungry any more then simply sending the materials would do?

#18 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Can someone explain to me how exactly the food printing works? Everything else makes sense, I mean a gun or an organ need a specific shape to function properly, and that is what a 3D print is good at, shaping.

However, food, whether it be shapely or a globy mess is still just as edible regardless. So what exactly can a 3D printer do to feed the hungry any more then simply sending the materials would do?

So easy... it's like this, feed the hungry martinis:
matter_replicator.gif

FAIL for not having blue cheese stuffed in the olive(s).

#19 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

they printed using a 3D printet, a 3D printer.

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#20 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

they printed using a 3D printet, a 3D printer.

Somehow I doubt that, a 3D print has to many mechanical parts.