20 replies to this topic

#1 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Spleens target thread generated a nice bit of convo over the weapons themselves, perhaps a thread on that topic?

What guns would you like to own, within reason?
What guns would you own if you could have any real weapon?
What do you have, if you have any?

I have a few nice pieces, think I'll discuss them one at a time as the thread goes, assuming it does.

I have and love my SKS Yugo model, its fun to shoot, ugly in that endearing way, and its a proper military piece.
Folding bayonet and muzzle grenade frame mean this thing was even cooler in its heyday. I want to get sharp with it but the damned thing is expensive as anything to shoot.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've currently got 4 .22 rifles

Marlin Model 60 tube fed. Honestly, I'm not sure there is a better gun. It's the only gun I've ever used that I'm absolutely sure that no matter the weather, how dirty it is, or what ammo I use I can load it up, and when I pull the trigger it will shoot, or I can pull the charging handle and try again. 

Henry H001. It's a nice lever action rifle. The ejector isn't as reliable as on the Model 60, and it doesn't function as well dirty, but the action is very smooth, and it's a lot of fun to shoot. 

An ancient old .22 bolt action. I believe it's a Winchester, and it's marked as being produced in 1921. My great grandma used to hunt with it when they used that for survival. I don't shoot it much any more, but it has great iron sights with a razor thin front rail, so it's very accurate. My eyes have just suffered too much computer to be able to do much with iron sights anymore.

Savage MkII. I got this from my dad in exchange for fixing a couple guns he had. It's missing a sear, but I'm hoping to find one for it and get it going soon. If I get it functioning, I'll put a decent scope on it, and that will probably be my go to gun for when I do the long range stuff. 

I've got two shotguns 

New England Arms 410. Just your classic break barrel 410. It's simple and it works. There's not a whole lot else to say.

Remington 16ga. This one belonged to my great grandpa. It's a classic single tube break barrel style. The whole thing can be pulled apart without tools, and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

I have one pistol, a Walther P22. I got it a little while back, because after fixing an old Model 41 of someone I know, I got the hankering for some  pistol shooting, and I've always been a fan of Walther's Style. It's relatively reliable, about medium on the scale of field stripping, and once again, being a .22 very cheap to put a ton of rounds though.

Guns I'd like to own-

The next gun that I'd like to own, that I will probably get will either be a cheap 17HMR rifle to play with, or I'll build an AR-15. Past that, my dad used to have one of the match grade Remington 700's that Scout-Snipers use. It was amazing to shoot, and I wouldn't mind having one when I have the money one day. I also want the Model 41 I mentioned above. It's one of the original runs, serial marked before they were released to the public. He got it from doing bullseye competitions. The build quality is absolutely absurd, it's a dream to shoot, and has the smoothest trigger of anything I've ever shot. It's also the absolute easiest gun I've ever pulled apart and put back together. 

Guns I'd own if I could afford them-

Being a Texas resident, and having a clear background, I could in theory get my class 3 and buy anything I wanted. A Vulcan would be awesome, I'd like to have anything that shot .50 BMG, a handful of suppressed pistols, and something that shot .338, though I haven't decided what.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'm not really a gun nut but I'd not mine owning a Lee-Enfield bolt-action. They must be pretty durable considering the Canadian Rangers still use them today. Oh, or a Mosin-Nagant. Or a M134 Minigun, just because dakka dakka.

Also here's a question, how do fully automatic guns actually work? Do they need some sort of power source like a battery or gas?

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Basically what happens for a semi auto gun is that either the inertia from the bullet leaving the chamber, or the exploding gasses working a piston make the bold move back, and a spring makes it come forward and chamber the next round. As it goes forward, something called a sear locks the firing pin in place so that it won't set off the primer in the bullet until the trigger is pulled, repeating the process. For a gun to be full auto, there is a mechanism that makes it so the sear does not catch the firing pin as long as the trigger is depressed, allowing each round to be struck and ignited as soon as it's chambered. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Ah right, I just knew that when I used to fiddle with my mates BB guns when I was wee, you had to charge up a battery pack or fill the magazine with gas, so I figured it maybe ran along the same system. But then...you wouldn't want your batteries to die mid-firefight.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#6 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

I don't own any guns yet, but I may inherent a .45 pistol at some point, which would be pretty sweet. I can't remember the make and model. It might even be a colt 1911, modified for target shooting? Not sure.

So that, and maybe some sort of bolt-action rifle would be cool. Stuff to take to the target range, basically. I'm not overly concerned about the possibility of home invasion. If a guy wants my TV that bad he can have it.

(Also I don't have a TV.)

I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Ah right, I just knew that when I used to fiddle with my mates BB guns when I was wee, you had to charge up a battery pack or fill the magazine with gas, so I figured it maybe ran along the same system. But then...you wouldn't want your batteries to die mid-firefight.

I can't imagine it'd be a good thing. >.>

I don't own any guns yet, but I may inherent a .45 pistol at some point, which would be pretty sweet. I can't remember the make and model. It might even be a colt 1911, modified for target shooting? Not sure.

So that, and maybe some sort of bolt-action rifle would be cool. Stuff to take to the target range, basically. I'm not overly concerned about the possibility of home invasion. If a guy wants my TV that bad he can have it.

(Also I don't have a TV.)

Bolt action .22s of the cheap variety can be had for $100 or less at a gun show.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#8 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

If you have the right friends, semi auto Marlin tube fed .22s are just about as cheap.

Gol, imagine hearing a click and having to GUESS which part of the gun is dead......

SKS Yugo, the bottoms one is perfectly identical to mine

Another sweet device of my possession is my dads Winchester Model 94.
Lever action carbine, John Wayne gun. My dad's is chambered in .32 Win Special

Winchester site entry for the line.

Thing is lite, doesn't kick a lot. I literally can single hand fire it at ~20 yards/meters with little trouble. The SKS weighs a shit-ton and cannot be operated thus.

#9 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

New addition, claiming double post rights because its not an edit, its a new piece of content.

Literally the only thing I asked to claim when my parents are no longer with us. I'm not callous, I'm not greedy, this is my dad's only inheritance from his grandfather. This thing is becoming a legacy. Also it's BEAUTIFUL.
Bolt action Mossberg 12 gauge, kicks like a mule as one would expect, adjustable choke suitable for almost any shell. Thing is old enough that my great-grandfather had a letter with the gun from when the company name was still officially J.P. Mossberg and Sons.

My Inheritance

#10 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

That's pretty awesome, and you're right about the kick of those old bolt actions.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#11 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

My dad has a musket, .50 cal I'm told.

I swear I'm not that short and fat

I don't know why I look like an impregnated dwarf in the pic. My dad's looks better

#12 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

So, I think I'm going to buy another gun soon, and I'm leaning towards a nice .22 rifle for my escapades. (especially since I looked up how much .308 rounds are now.)

I'm thinking a Sig 522 Target

SIG_Sauer_SIG522_Target.jpg

Put a better scope on it, and maybe a nice bipod, and then I'll see what sort of ranges I can get. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#13 Benihime

Benihime

Megabyte

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • LocationDee. Eff. Dub.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing a compound bow over a gun.
No need for registering anything with the government.
I'm kinda silly that way.
image-54.jpg

#14 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

That's a good point. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#15 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Crossbows as well.

No need to register them, and no license required.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#16 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

my brother's H&K handgun just came in recently. he's been babying it for two days. hasn't put a round through it yet, though. expensive little bastard.  it's not a full size, though. very uncomfortable to me, but fits his hand like a glove. then again, i have positioning issues with my hand on full size handguns.

#17 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I never understood why people bought guns and didn't shoot them.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#18 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

well in his case, it's understandable so far. he pulls 12 hour shifts at his new job. i have a feeling his next day off, he'll be at the range.

#19 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

I suppose. I forget I can just go to my back door. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#20 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I suppose. I forget I can just go to my back door. >.>

I love living in the country.

The friends that I have/young people that I know who live in London (the nearest large city) go to the bat when they want to hang out and have fun.

Or the mall, or each other's houses where they just sit around and shoot the shit.

All of these things are fine, don't get me wrong, but I much prefer country antics.

Last weekend my friend Reid, myself, and several other old friends went out to his old farm with a few boxes of shotgun shells and a box of clay pidgeons and spent half the day dicking around and shooting shotguns. No shooting range, no hassle, just an open field and shooting some guns.

You can't do that anywhere near a large city, for obvious reasons.

Out here on the other hand, no one questions it when they hear gunfire in the distance.

It is Canada, and everyone is either a hunter or a practice shooter where I live.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, Gun, Shooting