42 replies to this topic

#21 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

Started using Eclispse, it has some weird quirks that can be frustrating but it definitely saves me some time.

#22 theDaftDev

theDaftDev

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

I don't get why there is not more people using codeblocks, actually. No bugs, cross platform, simple and light. VS and Codeblocks are the best C++ IDE to my eyes. 

http://www.codeblocks.org/

Spoiler

userbar.gif

#23 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

also qt creator for C

#24 Username *

Username *

Byte

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

I think that visual studio is the best IDE for almost everything, but the compilers piss me off, I love gcc and I don't really like visual c++.

Religious+fanaticism_e9d588_4123667.png

#25 Username *

Username *

Byte

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

Also, I love code::blocks, it uses gcc, it's simple free and it's the platform for the informatics olympiads in Romania.

Religious+fanaticism_e9d588_4123667.png

#26 Reflex F.N.

Reflex F.N.

Byte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

I mainly use Eclipse for Java and Visual Studio for C#.

I also like to use text editors with Java when I feel like compiling manually (I like to do that sometimes). My favourite text editors are Sublime_Text 2 and Notepad++. I like Sublime_Text 2 much more than I like Notepad++, though. However, I rarely compile manually now; I use to do that a lot when I was still learning the basics of Java, but now I prefer to use an IDE. 

#27 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:24 AM

Started using pyCharm in the last year.. JetBrains in general has good product line. Although a little memory intensive, who doesnt have 16GB RAM these now?

#28 TinnedPsycho

TinnedPsycho

Bit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

I have a soft spot for eclipse when I'm using Java, and I tend to stick to virtual studio for C#.

#29 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels sentimental about Eclipse!

Anyone try the JetBrains IDEs? I've almost exclusively been using Intellij IDEA and CLion now.

#30 tony

tony

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

I use Vi at work and MacVim for pretty much anything else.

#31 Big_T

Big_T

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels sentimental about Eclipse!

Anyone try the JetBrains IDEs? I've almost exclusively been using Intellij IDEA and CLion now.

Yeah I've used IntelliJ quite a bit. That and PyCharm. Also dabbled with Webstorm some time ago. All great IDE's.

Another IDE I discovered recently is Visual Studio Code. I've only used it for html/css/JS, or to edit single files. It's light and quick to startup, works with everything I've thrown at it from C# to Ruby to Python. Dunno why but I just like it.

#32 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

Well, K_N called it, as soon as I had a business position making real money I made the switch. 

I'm probably a bit of a Jetbrains evangelist at this point, and I certainly advocate for the Linux dev machine if you aren't required to be on Windows/Mac by your target market. 

I still use NPP or Atom a lot, both are memory-light by comparison to a big IDE and they both give basic syntax highlighting for damn-near any language you need, which is great for opening XML/JSON config files or similar things and getting an idea of what I'm looking at quickly.

PHPStorm is my daily driver, I work on a php/javascript site that's pretty much a shitstorm of deprecated code and scope-creep-driven tacked on features. I and a group of devs from a consulting company owned by a friend are completely overhauling it with Angular2,Bootstrap and Loopback. PHPStorm can handle all of both provide for the Database and manage Linting, VCS, and even spoof the requests our mobile app makes so I can examine the return.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

#33 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

PhpStorm all the way, just so much cleaner and more refined that basically every other web dev IDE.

NetBeans is just horrible.

Eclipse is just horrible.

Dreamwe... urgh, I think I'm going to be sick.

*insert cliché inspirational quote here*

#34 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

I don't think Eclipse is garbage, the fact that it is free makes it a huge presence, it's also what I learned on. But it's so ugly and so hard to learn that I can't imagine making the investment when I can get PHPStorm tutorials from the company and when some of their tools are designed to expose other tools, I think CTRL+O in the default control scheme pops a menu that allows you too look for a given tast/function/intent and even gives the key command for it so you can fire it directly next time.

#35 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

I don't think Eclipse is garbage, the fact that it is free makes it a huge presence, it's also what I learned on. But it's so ugly and so hard to learn that I can't imagine making the investment when I can get PHPStorm tutorials from the company and when some of their tools are designed to expose other tools, I think CTRL+O in the default control scheme pops a menu that allows you too look for a given tast/function/intent and even gives the key command for it so you can fire it directly next time.

Eclipse is slow, and as you say looks terrible. Personally, I find a horrible looking user interface distracting.

#36 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Agreed, I have no interest in using it again

#37 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Agreed, I have no interest in using it again

Exquisite!

Completely irrelevant, but was your username inspired by the word "hemoglobin"?

#38 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

Yes, it's one of a number of semi-creative account names I've used on various platforms before discovering that it's taken on others.

#39 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yes, it's one of a number of semi-creative account names I've used on various platforms before discovering that it's taken on others.

It's annoying when you think you've found a unique username, and then you find it's taken.

Your best bet is probably tying to search for any usernames you think of using into Google to see how popular they are. 

#40 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I gave up and just used a character name from a DnD MMO, I even have my domain under that name now.

Never seen it taken on any service.

EDIT: I made the character, I took a fantasy name I had used and applied it to myself, the first post looked like I lifted it from a game.