1 reply to this topic

#1 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

With the last episode of Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko airing this morning I feel safe in declaring an end of the 2013 spring anime season. It was real harem/echii heavy this time, but I was more than a little okay with it. I thought I'd take a moment to go over some of the better stuff that aired this season and maybe suggest what's worth watching, for those that watch in marathons when the dust has settled.

First off, the one's I was actually looking forward to:

Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai or My little sister cannot be this cute

Season two

I actually watched season one of this before 2 aired. It was fun, quirky show. But wayyy too Japanese for most people, especially if you don't know terms like moe, ero, or siscon. You know what, if you know what this show is, or what those words above mean, you already watched this show. 

Slice of life/Romance/Harem/Light Perv. No big battles, no difficult plot. Just the story of a nerdy sister who can't be herself around her girly friends and the older brother who secretly loves her. Season two deals more with the brother's problems, and slowly all of the girls he knows fall in love with him for no good reason. Funny stuff, but not for everyone. The jokes are all otaku level,

Spoiler
so it won't appeal to everybody. That being said, season two was mild. Nothing super funny, and Kirino's nerdy side is less humorous than it was last season. Decent end, but OVAs will wrap up volume 7 of the light novel. (Note, I've read the Japanese version, and I hate the ending. Was one long downer and made me hate most of the characters)

Score: 5/10 catgirls recommend this show. Slow, if not humorous, show. Worth a watch if you have nothing to do and understand the subtitles of otaku humor.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W

Season 2
Same as Oreimo, I watched season one just a few days before season 2 started, and friggin loved it. Was very excited about 2. The story of monstrous deities from the Lovecraft mythos getting into quirky misadventures.  Nyaruko, the formless god of chaos, is an alien/cop/nerd who is sent to earth to protect our entertainment. Every episode is filled with shenanigans and shout outs to other anime. Such fun!

Monster of the Week/Sci-fi/Harem? Season two is more of the same, and that's a damn good thing. Not a whole lot of story progression, but who the hell cares? Aside from
Spoiler
, nothing happens. Once again, who the hell cares? Everyday is an adventure! Space CQC!

Score: 8/10 catgirls recommend this show. Watch for a good laugh. I don't want to compare this to FLCL, but it's along those lines of humor, but not over the top. Check out season one and see if it's for you. If you're a Lovecraft fan, it's worth a shot just for the plot. A cuthulu running an octopus dumpling stand? Fucking ay!

Hataraku Maou-sama!
or The devil is a part-timer

I knew nothing about this show going in. I saw Maou in the title and assumed it would be a battle anime, the evil overloard fighting the heroic knight in shinning armor, ya know? Nope, trope subverted to hell!

Supernatural/Slice of Life/Battle but I think a Harem is being set up for season two. I had no expectation for this show, just kind of showed up and started watching. Then kept watching. Fun stuff, a cool concept. The devil, a monstrous person who commands an army of murderous, rapacious, and rude demons tried to take over a fantasy land called Esla something. When the angelic knight fights him, a desperate Satin opens a portal to modern day Japan. Turned into a human, he gets a job at McDonalds to pay for food and his tiny apartment, and finds he likes the mortal life. 

Score: 7/10 catgirls would recommend this show. Turns the whole 'hero fighting evil' thing on its head. The fights are cool, pretty, and aren't even the main draw of the show. Maou is a fucking badass when he's in demon form and leaves you (And the holy warriors) wondering why he doesn't conquer earth. I hope season two (There's enough material for it, and I hear the series was popular in Japan) deals with their morals in more detail. 

Hentai Ōji to Warawanai Neko or The perverted prince and the cat of stone

Knew nothing of the show, expected noting but fansevice, walked away with a warm feeling in my tummy-tum. A boy who cannot express his true feeling hears about a magical staute of a cat that can get rid of a personality trait. He meets a girl who acts childish all the time and wants to grow up. Magic happens. The next day, he can't tell a lie and her face is a stoic mask. Problems abound.

Echii/Slice of life/Supernatural/Funny shit/Light Harem. This show was great. About episode three, I fell in love with Tsukiko Tsutsukakushi, the stoic girl with the most difficult Japanese name ever. No, not like, "Hawt loli!" love, I'm not a lolicon. She's just adorable, and I wanted to pull for her. Then Azusa Azuki shows up and you feel for her cuz her life is sad and she's trying so damn hard! And everyone is a tsundere!!!

Score: 9/10 catgirls recommend this show. So cute! Deciphering Tsutsukakushi emotion from her subtle actions is fun. The main character is dense as all hell, but he means well, and every girl takes her time falling for him. Some of the perverted stuff is just awkward, but funny. Most definitely worth checking out.

Date A Live

I had read a bit of the light novel that this is based on, so I knew what to expect, more of less. But the actual anime is much more echii.

Harem... that's about it. The battles aren't the main draw. The day-to-day life isn't important. Hell, the character development isn't even all that great. This anime is a harem, plain and simple. But that's kind of the point. I guess it's a little supernatural. You see, spirits pop into this world ever now and then, and create an explosion when they do. This is bad for Japan, so they train highschool girls to destroy them with their robot-bikinis. But a secret organization decides to take a different approach and decides to treat the monsters attractive anime girls like a dating sim. Send in main character to woo them using lines from video games. Win!

Score: 4/10 catgirls recommend this show. It's kinda meh. I didn't actually watch the final three episodes, having read the novels and knowing what would happen. I feel like I didn't give it a good enough shot, but when the new episode would come out, I'd wait until I had absolutely nothing to do. The show felt like it was trying too hard. I really recommend the novels, I think the first three or so have been translated into English. Unless you're just hurting for a show, skip it.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru or My young romantic comedy is wrong as I had expected

The dark horse cometh! I knew nothing about this show, and honestly thought I'd hate it, but it ended up being one of my favorites this year!

Harem-ish/Slice of disappointing life/Awkward comedy/High school drama (Although it's ignored and made fun of) Not since Kodaka of Haganai have I empathized with a main character more, but Hachiman Hikigaya is so damn relatable. (Watch the show, then understand what a sad person I really am to relate to that mess of a man) A mopey loner, he's forced into a club by his pesky teacher.The service club helps people, anyone, no matter how 8man might hate them. Cool cat-like Yukino runs the club, and busty doggy-girl Yui joins soon afterwards. Hachiman isn't a hero protagonist, he isn't brave, just a smart guy who can't make friends, and isn't sure he wants them, but is forced to deal with people in his everyday life.

Score: 9/10 catgirls recommend this show. It's smart, funny, and you really feel for the awkward Hikki-kun. Yui is adorable and her tits are huge, that's all you should know. I mean, there's more to her, but it's spoiler-ish. Same with Yukino. I feel for that girl. I want season two so bad, and am tempted to real the light novel, but it'd ruin it.

Of course, there was a lot more this season. (Attack on Titans? Do I need to even say anything?) But these were the only ones I enjoyed enough to watch past episode 3 or so. With the summer season coming up, I'm more than a little excited for the new stuff coming down the pipe, The world god only knows, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Watamote! but the end of this season leaves me feeling sad, and a little better for having watched.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

The first episode of The Devil is a Part-timer was perfect. It was really well done. I lost interest afterwards, though.

I really liked the first season of Oreimo, but I never watched the second one as it came out, I might try it. Pretty much the same with Nyaruko-san. The first season theme song just got stuck in my head so much, and the show was just as addicting. Never tried the new season though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anime, Japan, Catgirl