• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Anyone else love this series?  Melee is still my favorite, but I thought Brawl wasn't THAT bad (with the exception of the tripping, and Meta Knight).  What are your thoughts on the upcoming 3DS/WiiU games?  I am SUPER PSYCHED for Mega Man, though the lack of native gamecube controller support kind of bothers me.

#2 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

The whole gamecube controller thing you mentioned is unfortunate as I for one couldn't play brawl with a wii remote.

#3 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

I have sooo many hours into the series.

Cant wait for the new ones, but I do hope they nerf Meta Knight. Such a spammy character :(

What characters do you guys like to play as? I am a huge link fan, but thats more or less personal bias, loving the series and all.

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#4 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

The whole gamecube controller thing you mentioned is unfortunate as I for one couldn't play brawl with a wii remote.

Well apparently it's going to be compatible with the WiiU Pro Controller, but it's kind of obnoxious to have to drop $50 per player on controllers just so you don't have to use the damn wiimote.

I have sooo many hours into the series.

Cant wait for the new ones, but I do hope they nerf Meta Knight. Such a spammy character :(

What characters do you guys like to play as? I am a huge link fan, but thats more or less personal bias, loving the series and all.

Link was my favorite in the original Smash Bros.  In melee I mained Sheik, and in Brawl my favorite was Diddy Kong.  I played the game obsessively back in the melee days, though, so I was pretty proficient with all the characters.

#5 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

sheik was pretty good, but I happen to be terrible with diddy kong :/

#6 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

I love a good bit of link based on the fact he is from my favourite game series, but I am also quite partial to a bit of captain falcon

#7 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

I played in a Melee charity tourney at my college years ago. I won. First time I had ever played the series.

I was unimpressed.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#8 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I like the series, but I'm not in love with it. I really actually got bored of it rather quickly compared to some people. I mean sure those 2 weeks were fun, but after that boredom was a butt face. 

Oh and I still don't know if I should get a 3ds. I mean Nintendo is still #1 in my opinion, mostly because of the games, but I still don't know. I get paid over $200 - $220 tomorrow so I could buy that over an iPhone which I don't really need over the lack of my shyness and friends.

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#9 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

I just want consoles to gtfo.

Wahah. Such hypocrisy :3

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#10 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Ha!

Honestly, I love gaming on my pc, but consoles will always have their place.

#11 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

The truth hurts.

#12 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

I love Smash Bros, I've played it since the original on N64. Played Melee casually with friends when I was younger, and Brawl for a month or two while I owned a Wii.

I like the varied cast, the various playable characters, and the oddly unbalanced balance the game has.

Nowadays, though, I can't play to save my life. The controls are just too counterintuitive for me to get good at SSB at a serious level.

My favorite character was always Link, then Bowser, then Ganondorf/Cap Falcon

#13 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

I used to play casually but my brother found a website with competitions in our area and made me learn how each characters frames work, the tier list, adv techs, I guess I'm a competition gamer now, the sad thing is any friends who play casually get bored because I destroy them now. I will never be good enough to win in singles but my doubles play is quite good and we came 6th in Australia for it and 3rd in sydney.

SSBB I play everyone so I can counterpick but my two big mains are lucas (bottom of middle tier) and Olimar (3rd on the teir list). I love lucas for his mobility and the fact that so few people play a good lucas that they don't know how to react to a good one. Olimar is just fantastic though for his ground game which can't be beaten, his off stage game is horrible though.

#14 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

Olimar is pretty naff, I think. Definitely one of the weakest characters. I play Samus and Kirby primarily but I like to give the Ice Climbers a go now and again just because they don't seem to get much use.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#15 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I agree, Olimar was pretty crappy, but I do love Pikmin. I liked Fox and Falco. I used to just play kirby and ness over and over again, I also like marth and roy.

#16 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

If you think that Olimar is pretty naff then you should know he has won many tournaments and if you think that Ice Climbers doesnt get much play time since they are second highest in the tier list after Meta Knight then watch this video.

Thats the Ice Climbers chain grab and is the reason they are second on the tier list.

hes is a scary scary olimar, constant pressure which forces the other player to have to approach and you will see olimars grabs make approaching incredibly dangerous.

#17 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

I luv Ice climbers ever since melee and I played them a lot. Oh, and I stand slightly corrected, only because I think Olimar is naff, that doesn't mean someone can not be good with him and win tournaments. I just think he is weakish.

#18 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

If you use Olimars Whistle within 5 frames of being hit he gains super armour which means he gets no knockback. Meaning if you learn the timing you cant be killed.

#19 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

If you use Olimars Whistle within 5 frames of being hit he gains super armour which means he gets no knockback. Meaning if you learn the timing you cant be killed.

Hmmmm, thats interesting.

#20 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would you guys say the best final smash is?