19 replies to this topic

#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

What would it take to get the internet back up, on a small scale?

I'm thinking something like the old school pirate radio, just a few servers here and there. There would of course be some existing backbone that would have to be hijacked, and the broken parts filled in. Energy would be a problem, with solar being the most likely solution, so no huge centers or anything. We'd most likely have to rely on simple switches and such. Wireless could be a possibility with a large enough tower and such, though still small range.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

While the internet would be great for global communication, perhaps our first priority would be food, shelter, water. :P

I think we'd rely on radio communications more than anything for a good while, like being set back a couple decades.

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Well sure, but I could have those things going easy in < a week. I live next to a bayou, and have the chemicals and knowledge to make water filters. Food would also be relatively easy through a garden and fishing, along with some hunting. I'm going to assume that there will still be structures in tact as well.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Well sure, but I could have those things going easy in < a week. I live next to a bayou, and have the chemicals and knowledge to make water filters. Food would also be relatively easy through a garden and fishing, along with some hunting. I'm going to assume that there will still be structures in tact as well.

My end of the word plan has been reworked

now it's just "Get to Spleen's house"

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

:lol:

nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

back in my old town, I have a friend who is a Radio/Audio guru. I could get an old HAM radio and contact him relatively easily. we have a small garden in the back yard (not enough to live with though) and I'm also in the city, so food will be scarce I'm sure. 

5A5DjRW.gif

#7 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I did a lot of work with radios in the military. Cell phones that use 3/4G is actually coined from a term used to describe 3rd/4th Generation ALE.  ALE is a technology that allows radios in a net to obtain their own unique ID. (like an IP).  Usually they use HF frequencies (which can broadcast over the horizon, and thus are not line of sight).  Before ALE you were looking at 0.24Kbps (analog signal) for a single channel ground radio system.  However, with sustained HF communication, you can get much higher bandwidth like you do today on your cell phone.

I guess my point is that to rebuild an internet segment, you want to create a WAN, right?  You could use a physical medium like fiber or ethernet, but that would be a lot of digging and re-use of wired technology that requires a lot of maintenance.

I would imagine the first 'internet' in a new world would consist of sending digital signals through radio communications.  Provided people are hosting information using TCP on port 80 (standards), and repeating signals received to cover more ground, i think that would be the most feasible way to create a slow but working internet.

I believe the FCC is looking at releasing a bunch of C frequency bands traditionally used for satellite transponders, weather and long range tracking; to the open market for development of access points much like the ones in your house.  However they will offer greater distance and higher bandwidth than the current 4G implementations of ALE. I believe these higher frequencies will be used more in the future, as a higher frequency allows more digital bits per wavelength.

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

I was thinking along the lines of using existing fiber, and gutting the stations, replacing them with simpler, and much more power friendly switches since there won't be near the traffic through it.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#9 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Without the Internet, I would die.

I wish I was joking.

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#10 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Depends on the nature of the apocalypse. If it was something like a zombie outbreak then it could be as easy as getting the power going and hooking up servers, networks and stuff. The main problem would be power and manpower because you'd need a lot of people to maintain the infrastructure I would have thought.

In a nuclear apocalypse, I imagine it would be harder as a lot of places that make up the internet grid could have been damaged or destroyed.

This is of course supposing it's safe to even live on the surface of the Earth.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#11 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

I was thinking along the lines of using existing fiber, and gutting the stations, replacing them with simpler, and much more power friendly switches since there won't be near the traffic through it.

oh.  I don't have fiber in my immediate area.  nor would i want to bore/run it.

There is also a lot of maintenance with wire.  Replacing fiber modems, fixing breaks in the line, line attenuation, GPS and switch timing so that multiplexing works correctly... no thanks.

#12 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

oh.  I don't have fiber in my immediate area.  nor would i want to bore/run it.

There is also a lot of maintenance with wire.  Replacing fiber modems, fixing breaks in the line, line attenuation, GPS and switch timing so that multiplexing works correctly... no thanks.

I can almost guarantee that the backbone of whatever internet you use, where ever you live is fiber. It's just copper from the hub to your home.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#13 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

well then i guess the answer to your question is; that we would just restore the existing resources that support the WAN infrastructure.

but i still think wireless is the future for clients

#14 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

You would almost certainly be better off trying to set up some kind of wireless meshnet rather than trying to rely on/reuse land lines, at least from my perspective.  Sure, you'd be limited geographically, but it's a lot easier to get power up and running sufficiently to power wireless relays and maybe a small server in a home somewhere, than trying to get an entire industry back on its feet.  A meshnet would be a lot more functional in an apocalyptic situation anyway, because you're going to be a lot more concerned about your immediate geographic area for sharing large amounts of information quickly.  For longer-ranged communication, a ham radio setup would probably suffice. 

If you really needed to get the internet itself back up and running you might want to look more into satellite relay protocols, rather than landlines.  It would be slower and less efficient (can't get a connection if you don't have a friendly satellite in bounce range), but satellites are pretty self-sufficient as compared to land line housings, and don't require additional power than they already get from the sun.

#15 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Without the Internet, I would die.

Ahaha, losing the internet would be the apocalypse. 

#16 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Assuming its a governmental or social Apocalypse then just head to your nearest Cell provider and hack in (using the zombie managers login and hoping he wrote it in his phone and that he is meandering nearby looking for brains) Then access your phone service and extend your bandwidth and download limit via the satellite network. Then use your phone as a wireless dongle. Obviously you would have to scavenge for solar parts but the installation isn't all that complex unless you want to set up those 3t batteries which charge so you have power at night (In the long run it would likely be a good idea anyways). It would be slower then current Internet but I think you can cap at about 500kb/s using cell data transfer, maybe even faster.

If its an environmental apocalypse then the job becomes 100x harder and I would be more concerned about the ash cloud from the meteors impact or the nuclear radiation.

#17 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ahaha, losing the internet would be the apocalypse. 

Finally, somebody realizes this. Sush, we need to stick together.

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#18 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Luckily for me, my city planned ahead. most of the utility buildings are powered by solar or have solar backup to power the building in the event of a total loss of power.

there's also plenty of houses in the city with solar panels, a few within 6 blocks of me too, so finding solar parts would be no difficult task.

5A5DjRW.gif

#19 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

While the internet would be great for global communication, perhaps our first priority would be food, shelter, water. :P

You obviously don't know me.

Internet > Life-sustaining resources in my book.

fl9Uov4.gif

#20 jiuer7845

jiuer7845

Byte

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:56 PM

https://www.nflshopo...nlinestore.com/ NFL Shop Official Online Store