42 replies to this topic

#1 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

With University over and done with FOREVER, I am now faced with two distinctive possibilities....

1) Get a boring job and slave from 9 to 5 packing shelves in an unfulfilling dead end shitty job or....

2) Start my own media business and make a full length feature film....

I've got my degree in Screen and Media, basically means that I can work as a journalist, editor, video producer etc. I have knowledge in acting, video editing, music composition and camera operating so making this shit won't be a problem.

I also rock a 60D Canon so quality isn't a problem.... and I know how to make shit look good ;) 

I've always wanted to make a proper film, and my friends are very supportive and offered their services to me at the end of this year ala Christmas Holidays Wooohooooo!!!!! They also possess the same skill set that I do because we all did the same classes at Uni. :)

I have a rough idea for a story but it's still in development as we speak, and in order to qualify for NZ Film funding we have to incorporate New Zealand in the story somehow, and have shot at least 70% of the film already.... (Cheeky cunning bastards)

To be? Or not to be? That is the question.....

What do you guys think? Give it a go? Or stop dreaming and get a job so I can get some cash ;)

Chur!!!!!!

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#2 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

I say get a job, get the cash and then make the dream happen. Sadly enough we need money to accomplish most things in life. So just get a decent job and save so you can buy the materials you need for said film. 

But that's just me, being logical an ass.

You go on ahead and follow that dream. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#3 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

I agree with KJ. Get a job to support yourself and make the movie on the side. Then at least if something happens with the movie and you're sent to square one, you're at least financially stable.

#4 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

K J, on 15 Jun 2013 - 03:04, said:
I say get a job, get the cash and then make the dream happen. Sadly enough we need money to accomplish most things in life. So just get a decent job and save so you can buy the materials you need for said film.

But that's just me, being logical an ass.

You go on ahead and follow that dream.

SushiKitten, on 15 Jun 2013 - 09:26, said:
I agree with KJ. Get a job to support yourself and make the movie on the side. Then at least if something happens with the movie and you're sent to square one, you're at least financially stable.

That's the thing. I don't need the $$$ atm. I already have the equipment. I don't plan on making a hollywood blockbuster with special C.G.I.

I don't need to pay rent anymore coz I just moved bk home with my grandmother. lol

But financial stability would be good. The only thing about that would be the fact that I would prioritize work and be too tired to do anything else. Just like Uni, I had a job on the side, and neglected most of my school work.

The only real investment I need is time....

#5 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Then there's no need to ask for anybody's opinion. You had your own answers already.

Now, why are you still not in your cell? 

Zi9JkgO.gif

#6 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

LOL

I now expect his next response to be "Yes master"
If it isn't I will be disappointed

Because I can...

#7 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

You people kind of just destroyed this guys dream... wtf. Let me rephrase that! I think you people are being a little to not merciful. I mean you can be a little bit nicer/supportive. But don't say things that may or may not be insulting. "If we should do anything we should be bringing people up not down" - Mr. Butler <- my bio teacher... lol

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#8 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well, Mr. Fox person, do you have anything supportive to tell our prisoner friend Rob here? Because I'd rather tell him the truth than fill him up with false hopes. He's talking about something that he really wants to achieve here, and if he really wants to do so, he needs to hear the truth, the cold hard truth. And frankly I wasn't even being harsh. I even added some obvious humor in there too. It may have been a bit sarcastic, but humorous non the less. 

I never insulted him, never called him stupid, never called his dream impossible. I only told him to save money, for that would be the best thing to do. Clearly he doesn't need the money, so he's good to go. 

Oh, and you might want to give this blog a read, or two: here

It's about breaking into comics, but it works just fine for anything else. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

#9 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

Then there's no need to ask for anybody's opinion. You had your own answers already.

I'm an outlaw and I oppose the powers that be....

Wanting to know if any of the people on here have done something similar....

You people kind of just destroyed this guys dream... wtf. Let me rephrase that! I think you people are being a little to not merciful. I mean you can be a little bit nicer/supportive. But don't say things that may or may not be insulting. "If we should do anything we should be bringing people up not down" - Mr. Butler <- my bio teacher... lol

Hahah not at all my man. They haven't deterred anything. I'm still doing my thang. ;) I find it interesting what they have to say.

Well, Mr. Fox person, do you have anything supportive to tell our prisoner friend Rob here? Because I'd rather tell him the truth than fill him up with false hopes. He's talking about something that he really wants to achieve here, and if he really wants to do so, he needs to hear the truth, the cold hard truth. And frankly I wasn't even being harsh. I even added some obvious humor in there too. It may have been a bit sarcastic, but humorous non the less. 

I never insulted him, never called him stupid, never called his dream impossible. I only told him to save money, for that would be the best thing to do. Clearly he doesn't need the money, so he's good to go. 

LOL I wasn't offended by your comments at all. I do appreciate what you have suggested and have taken it into consideration.... sort of lol.

I wanted peoples opinion by maybe sharing similar experiences they had, I duno, maybe someone started their own online clothing business? Or maybe someone tried to make a movie themselves?

I must also stress the fact that making a film isn't as difficult as one may think. Hardest part would be motivating yourself to actually start the thing.

KEEP EM COMING PEOPLE!!!!

#10 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

LOL I wasn't offended by your comments at all. I do appreciate what you have suggested and have taken it into consideration.... sort of lol.

I wanted peoples opinion by maybe sharing similar experiences they had, I duno, maybe someone started their own online clothing business? Or maybe someone tried to make a movie themselves?

I must also stress the fact that making a film isn't as difficult as one may think. Hardest part would be motivating yourself to actually start the thing.

KEEP EM COMING PEOPLE!!!!

Rob, it seems we've failed to give you your medicine-- this talk about being an outlaw.. *sigh* I blame myself for my negligence. 

Either way, I understand your wanting to hear other people's opinion; this is a forum after all. All I can say is, read the link I shared and take it seriously. It really has some good pointers in there that you might want to follow. Other than that, you have my full support.

I'll be the first to throw popcorn at the big screen be in line to watch your film.

I think I'm abusing the strike feature. 

Lolnotatall. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

#11 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

Rob, it seems we've failed to give you your medicine-- this talk about being an outlaw.. *sigh* I blame myself for my negligence. 

I'll be the first to throw popcorn at the big screen be in line to watch your film.

I think I'm abusing the strike feature. 

Lolnotatall. 

THE ROB$TAR is even more arrogant than you dear sir. No offense has been taken by your feeble comments. lol

I'll check out the link, BUT BY GOD IF IT'S A LINK TO YOUR NUDE PHOTOS.... #$%^&^%$#@#$%^&^%$#@!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the shitty, unintelligent, pathetic helpful advice dude. ;) I speak your language too... 

#12 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

I am diasappointed :P

Because I can...

#13 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Read it, very interesting. I get what you are trying to say.

I'm surprised by the fact that I didn't learn anything new from this blog LOL

I'm aware of the doggy-dog nature of competition and how peoples work can be just plain shit

I'm confident that I'm at a level where I am beyond that of a person who just woke up one morning and said, "I wana make a film today"

I've been making shitty short films, animations and music for about 5 years now, and now this is my chance to prove not only to the world, but to myself that I can do this. :)

Thanks for sharing nonetheless.

#14 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

I am diasappointed :P

THE ROB$TAR DOESN'T RELENT THAT EASY SISTER :P

#15 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

I've been making shitty short films, animations 

This. I am interested in this.

Zi9JkgO.gif

#16 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

This. I am interested in this.

Hahaha I'll upload my shitty 48hour challenge film which managed to qualify for the city finals hahaha. It was so bad that the judges loved it!!!!

#17 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

And the animations. Don't forget the animations. 

Zi9JkgO.gif

#18 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Yo.

So, I support anyone who wants to do something a little different. I don't ever want to be a slave to money or the capitalist system, I'm hoping to set up another company soon because I need some moolah and right now the only options open are a 9-5 or...dealing. None of those sound particularly appealing.

That being said, I'm also a realist, I know I need the money now to make better things happen in the future, which is why I'll take a 9-5 if it gets me to where I need to be in the future. I suggest you take the safe option for now, get some cash coming in so you can get your own place, front the bills and food, reh teh teh. Once you're leng, then you might want to look at joining and existing film company, get some experience and learn the trade, then go in alone once you have experience. It's all very well and good being excited to get going but a bull in a china shop is going to cause more harm than good.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#19 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

If someone's dream is really worth striving after, there is nothing we could ever say or do to deter them from that goal.

We are not merciless, just a gathering of realists.

I understand the misinterpretation.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#20 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yo.

So, I support anyone who wants to do something a little different. I don't ever want to be a slave to money or the capitalist system, I'm hoping to set up another company soon because I need some moolah and right now the only options open are a 9-5 or...dealing. None of those sound particularly appealing.

That being said, I'm also a realist, I know I need the money now to make better things happen in the future, which is why I'll take a 9-5 if it gets me to where I need to be in the future. I suggest you take the safe option for now, get some cash coming in so you can get your own place, front the bills and food, reh teh teh. Once you're leng, then you might want to look at joining and existing film company, get some experience and learn the trade, then go in alone once you have experience. It's all very well and good being excited to get going but a bull in a china shop is going to cause more harm than good.

If someone's dream is really worth striving after, there is nothing we could ever say or do to deter them from that goal.

We are not merciless, just a gathering of realists.

I understand the misinterpretation.

Haha you guys may be realists, but I believe in dreams and fantasy. 

I believe anything is possible if your set your goals and strive for what you really want.

It's natural that "barriers" may try stop you from achieving your dreams, but my ambitions and sheer determination motivates me to do things that normal people dare not attempt. 

I'm glad that most of you are saying, "go get a job first, it's the safe alternative" Because that's how a normal person would think, I'm a little different and I'm not afraid to take risks, even if I we're destined to ultimately fail at this, the experience gained would surely benefit me for future projects. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: film making, art, cinema