4 replies to this topic

#1 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

yeah, I was wondering what specs I would need, if I'm running a fairly lightweight linux distro, to run up to ps2/gamecube and possibly wii games? I found the system requirements for all of these systems emulators, but I want to be able to run them fairly smoothly, and usually system requirements refers to the bare minimum.

Edit: I found out that dolphin can upscale games to 1080p. How much more power would this take?

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#2 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

You'll want a half decent videocard, processor, and RAM.

Realistically your average laptop with a mid range videocard can do most game emulation up to PS1 age. for anything like ps2, xbox, or WII, you may have to push for a higher range laptop/desktop card. (a mid range AMD HD6XXX series for desktops, for laptops, Nvidia GT540m or higher will work.)

at the end of the day, your average "$500 budget gaming build" will do what you want with a bit more room for Modern PC games on mid settings.

5A5DjRW.gif

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I use an E-350 for my TV box, but now, I think the new A4's and A6's will be a better deal, you can probably get them for as much, or less and they are much more powerful. An A4-5300 will set you back about $55, a micro-atx board for it is about $50, and if you really want small, mini-itx is around $80. 

You'll of course have to decide on hard drives and cases, but at 65watts power supplies should be easy to shop for. If you really want power and you can keep it cool, you can get an unlocked Richmond A10 for $150 or Trinity for $130, overclock the hell out of it, and do a lot more than emulate games.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

thanks for the suggestions ^_^

I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#5 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

If my experience is much to go by(debatable), dolphin is very patchy either way. Be prepared for this, some games just run like hell regardless of the hardware.

Not to discourage you, just be aware.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j