• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ashleylve

Ashleylve

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm not a pc gamer, but I've been wanting to buy a "setup". I only game on consoles, and I'm tired of them. I heard that pc gaming is a lot better, but I wouldn't know where to start. I need advice on what I need to buy, prices, where to start.smile.gif
As you can see I know nothing about the technical aspects lol
But, is it possible for me to just use a plasma as a monitor? confused.gif

I also wanna know if every game made for consoles (ps3, xbox, gamecube) has a pc version and how much (on average) do these games cost. 
I would like recommendations on monitors, desktops, accessories, etc....
Also, is it possible to use console controllers on a gaming pc?
And what's better in terms of repairs and maintenance, longevity, & performance. (gaming laptops or desktops?)

Any other advice or anything you could help me with would be greatly appreciated :) 

Thanks, Ash

-Ash

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Oioi, welcome to the forum!

If you want a good set up then I suggest you buy a desktop and not a laptop because, in general, a desktop is going to be more geared up to gaming. That being said, it's not always the case.

Other people will probably help you better with that sort of thing than me, but I can give advice on the gaming.

Most AAA games will come out for the PS, Xbox and PC. So using a stereotypical example, CoD, can be found on all three. Prices vary wildly, depends on what game you want and where you buy it from. An indie game like Machinarium will only set you back a few quid on Desura (an online store for games) but the newest CoD would probably still be upwards of £39 on Steam (another online game store) when it's brand new. I suggest you try and source as many games as you can on Steam or Desura because in general, they're much cheaper. =)

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Ok, lots of information here, so we'll start with the basics.

For gaming, a desktop will be cheaper, perform better, and have upgrade paths.

Most games come out for the PC as well, but there are quite a few that are console exclusive, Gears of War comes to mind. (There are always emulators though.)

A plasma will work, but is not recommended for a computer monitor because the idle time will burn your wallpaper into it. If it's an LED/LCD TV though you'll be fine.

Now, as far as what to put in your computer, that varies pretty wildly based on what you want to play, and how high of graphics settings you want. Do you have a particular price range in mind? 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

What types of games are you going to be playing? how good graphics?

you can build a midrange gaming desktop for around $500-600 that will play most current games at medium settings.

you can use a plasma TV as a monitor (granted, it needs HDMI or whatever port your desktop will have) for a connection.

of course, I always reccomend having a dedicated LCD/IPS monitor and setup on a desk.

5A5DjRW.gif

#5 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

newegg has some pretty decent "package deals" that will contain everything you need.  Don't go cheap with your GPU.

#6 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

You absolutely can use controllers with your PC, the 360 controller has a version made for pc and is being supported in many modern pc games. Next come PS3 and Wii controllers which will both work reasonably well via bluetooth(20-50 USD last I checked). Both of those options are perfectly functional but they are a right pain in the ass to work with because software is homebrew and patchy.

Controllers made for the pc abound, price range varies as does quality.
TV's are perfectly acceptable screens for pcs, Plasma has the burn in problem as mentioned by Spleen. I use an LCD screen for mine, I sit back in a recliner and the view is fine. A lot, and I mean ALOT of folks are buffs for crazy graphics, its one of the main draws of pc gaming. But if you, like me, don't much care if the view is top notch or just pretty good, you'll do fine.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, pc gaming