5 replies to this topic

#1 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

So, after a few years of not living in my home town I have returned and plan on returning the gardens that usually prosper at my house to their former glory. My mom has let them slip for the last few years simply because my family has been super busy. My parents coach my sister`s baseball team, plus she plays like ten different sports and always needs rides, so managing multiple gardens just wasn`t in the cards. Now that I am around there is some muscle present to do the grunt work and make shit happen.

I have here a series of pictures showing my handywork and progress so far.

This is the front of my house which is covered in a pretty big garden, those rocks weighed a tonne, literally.

Spoiler

This is the overgrown side of my house, which will be my next target for gardenification.

Spoiler

This is the garden on the other side of my house.

Spoiler

The leaves of that purple and green Japanese Maple in the previous picture look awfully familiar...

Spoiler

Backyard: Built this raised bed and screwed a dump salvaged metal dealie to it for grapes to grow up. Those plants are blueberries, grapes beside the metal piece, onions in the bottom right corner, and a Haskap bush in the bottom right.

Spoiler

More raised beds beside the previous one. That left one is all sorts of peppers, the next is tomatoes, and the next is various whatnot like some onions, carrots, lettuce and such. Also, those are two new cherry trees in the background there.

Spoiler

Another raised bed in the middle of my backyard. My mom planted this one and I can`t remember what is in there.

Spoiler

This is my herb garden, it still needs to be weeded and cleaned up a bit, but a lot of the stuff I grew before is perennial and just kept coming back year after year. It contains garlic, thyme, chives, parsley, three different kinds of mint, basil, bay leaves, coriander, rosemary, and probably a few others that I can`t remember.

Spoiler

These are the two apple trees that me and my dad planted quite a while ago, five years at least. One granny smith, and one the I don`t care about because granny smith is all the apple I will ever need. I also have two pear trees that are new, like the cherry trees in that previous picture.

Spoiler

That is it for now, but I shall post more pictures as I build more and things grow.

I love me some gardening, especially when the stuff I planted starts giving my food in return for nurturing it.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Looks like you're getting it cleaned up nicely. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

at first I thought that Japanese maple was something else.

I was kind of hoping you where growing hemp to DIY things at home with it.

Damn.

5A5DjRW.gif

#4 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

at first I thought that Japanese maple was something else.

I was kind of hoping you where growing hemp to DIY things at home with it.

Damn.

No such luck I am afraid.

Just an amusing coincidence in appearance.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#5 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm assuming it's summer where you live so plant some yummy sunflower seeds :)

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#6 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'm assuming it's summer where you live so plant some yummy sunflower seeds :)

It is.

Believe it or not, Canada gets summers that are warmer than a lot of other countries.

Humidity is a terrible asshole.

As for sunflowers, I have grown them in the past, and they usually turn out to be more hassle than they are worth.