8 replies to this topic

#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

So, I'm toying with the idea of turning something like a Ruger 10/22 into a Halo battle rifle. If I were to, I'd want the bullet counter to work. I'm thinking a microswitch on the bolt and one on the clip. Each swing of the bolt subtracts one from the counter, and the one on the magazine resets the counter.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

So, I'm toying with the idea of turning something like a Ruger 10/22 into a Halo battle rifle. If I were to, I'd want the bullet counter to work. I'm thinking a microswitch on the bolt and one on the clip. Each swing of the bolt subtracts one from the counter, and the one on the magazine resets the counter.

if you had a setup, and loaded in a low clip you could use some sort of sensor to detect how many bullets are missing, and subtract them from the normal round count. now that would be impressive.

5A5DjRW.gif

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

That would be really awesome, but then I'd be getting into reflective eye switches and such.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

That would be really awesome, but then I'd be getting into reflective eye switches and such.

could you not use some sort of scale to measure the weight difference between a full clip and a used clip?

5A5DjRW.gif

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I don't think that would work with the way it stays in the gun. I was thinking a series of reflective or break beam eyes on the side of the clip to see where the bullets were at. We used a similar system when I played paintball to make sure there was a round in the chamber before firing to keep from chopping paint.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I don't think that would work with the way it stays in the gun. I was thinking a series of reflective or break beam eyes on the side of the clip to see where the bullets were at. We used a similar system when I played paintball to make sure there was a round in the chamber before firing to keep from chopping paint.

no it probably wouldn't work unless it was aware of the gun weight, gun weight + full clip, and gun weight with relative bullet count removed. 

but even then, I'm not entirely sure as this branches out of my general knowledge. 

5A5DjRW.gif

#7 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

My friend is a wielder. We tried making a gun a few years back. Used an old vacuum pipe, an old mini catapult as the trigger and melted led pellets into bullets. We ripped open some fireworks and used a toilet brush to powder up the pipe. (Like the olden days)

Yeah long story short, it malfunctioned hahaha. Fired it and it pretty much blew up with a cloud of white smoke and fell apart.... Luckily Mikey didn't lose an arm.

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Yeah, there's a lot of power stored in gunpowder, you should never try to make your own barrels and such.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#9 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

slide open the bottom of the magazine, and use a pressure sensor inside beneath the spring.  magazine coil pressure is normally a dependable reading since the upper receiver will not properly chamber a round if the pressure from the magazine is not within the required threshold.

then you could calibrate remaining magazine rounds based on the coil pressure from the spring.  High coil pressure means more rounds in the magazine.  of course re-calibration would be required as the magazine's spring wears out.

Also, since this is just a .22 Ruger, I would imagine it is not the most precision machined weapon system on the market.  So you're at the mercy of that.  I would keep away from modding the bolt assembly as much as possible.  Too easy to throw off proper cycling.