Photo

Nintendo CEO punches investor after being asked when Nintendo will make smartphone games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

http://www.p4rgaming...artphone-games/

While I admire his spirit, that really should be something they involve the police with.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

:lol:
Oh  man. That's kinda great.
It's good, I guess, to see that the CEO really cares about the games they make. I don't love everything Nintendo does, but I can respect that much.

I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

I think it was an innocent question, really. Sony and Microsoft have both made the jump to smartphone gaming; Nintendo is the odd one out of the Big Three. I think he overreacted and honestly should be punished, because as you can see from the comments on the article, the Nintendo fanboys fucking love it and think it's perfectly acceptable to attack someone for having an opinion.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#4 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Not only was it an innocent question, it was like seventeen innocent questions, long after he had been asked to stop.

I'm not saying it was a good decision, clearly it was an overreaction, but people make too much of a big deal out of a good punch-in-the-face. Sometimes a guy needs to get punched in the face. Hell, sometimes that guy has been me.

I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

What ever happened to just ignoring people who annoy you ._.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#6 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

What ever happened to just ignoring people who annoy you ._.

That still happens most of the time.
Punching is pretty uncommon for most people.

#7 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Why would the guy sell his Nintendo stock?

Obviously the people who work for Nintendo are not pissing around when it comes to games.

Imagine all the other faces that guy has punched in the name of good gaming?

Not only was it an innocent question, it was like seventeen innocent questions, long after he had been asked to stop.

I'm not saying it was a good decision, clearly it was an overreaction, but people make too much of a big deal out of a good punch-in-the-face. Sometimes a guy needs to get punched in the face. Hell, sometimes that guy has been me.

Agreed.

We are floating around in this weird place in our planet's timeline where it is absolutely forbidden to just punch a dude in the face.

People are hardly allowed to touch one another unless given express permission from the touchee.

Otherwise people get sued for stupid ass reasons and my faith in humanity takes another dip.

Sometimes, not always, and not necessarily in this case, people just need a punch in the face to let them know that they are being assholes.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#8 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

That /is/ a pretty stupid question to ask, especially from an investor.

Nintendo is absolutely shitting on the mobile market atm with the DS. Sure, places with smartphone prevalence tend not to see "crazy" DS sales, but Nintendo doesn't need to try to compete with /itself/ by throwing another hat in the mobile games market, especially when the DS is already a runaway hit in Japan.

Also, diving further into the idea, developing games for android would just hurt their sales. If a game you want was released for DS, then ported to smartphone, you could just wait for the smartphone port [which also opens the door for jailbroken smartphones with pirated apps to cut into their sales]. If the game was released only for DS, it's buy a DS or bust.

You could raise the argument that they could bring a fully-legal system of emulation to the smartphone market, but looking at the Wii's virtual console we see that people would just continue to use the homebrew emulators with pirated ROMs, regardless of legality.

So, it's not that they're ignoring the smartphone market, they just don't have enough reasons to try to market towards it.

#9 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

That /is/ a pretty stupid question to ask, especially from an investor.

Nintendo is absolutely shitting on the mobile market atm with the DS. Sure, places with smartphone prevalence tend not to see "crazy" DS sales, but Nintendo doesn't need to try to compete with /itself/ by throwing another hat in the mobile games market, especially when the DS is already a runaway hit in Japan.

Also, diving further into the idea, developing games for android would just hurt their sales. If a game you want was released for DS, then ported to smartphone, you could just wait for the smartphone port [which also opens the door for jailbroken smartphones with pirated apps to cut into their sales]. If the game was released only for DS, it's buy a DS or bust.

You could raise the argument that they could bring a fully-legal system of emulation to the smartphone market, but looking at the Wii's virtual console we see that people would just continue to use the homebrew emulators with pirated ROMs, regardless of legality.

So, it's not that they're ignoring the smartphone market, they just don't have enough reasons to try to market towards it.

this exactly.

it's why Nintendo does not develop for the PC. it would do more harm than good. They make console exclusives to sell, and they make consoles to sell the exclusives. it's also why Microsoft dropped the Halo and Fable franchises from PC, they realised they could make more by putting them console only, and then hope people buy the consoles to play halo (it works, I know people who always buy each new halo edition 360 when a new halo title launches.)

they simply make more doing what they do best. Why fix something if it isn't broken?

in my humble opinion, that investor is a f*cking moron, and doesn't deserve the stocks in Nintendo he has. I feel he deserves more than punch him in the face if he'd shown that much blind disregard for a company he's invested millions in.

5A5DjRW.gif